“Very Cook, Hip place, near the river and shopping.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton

You added theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton to your Saves list
theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   201 N. State Street, Chicago, IL 60601 (Downtown / The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Intimate Escape Special
Ranked #40 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Somers, Wisconsin
“Very Cook, Hip place, near the river and shopping.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2009

Stayed at the Wit with my wife during a business trip. We loved the hip decor and "happenin'" atmosphere. The lounge on the roof is very cool, transitions into an open air environment with torches for heat and light. A great place to chill and people watch.
The restaurant serves a really nice traditional breakfast and has a great "chill" atmosphere. I would recommend this place to anyone traveling to Chicago who want to "live it up".

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
New York, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2009

TheWit is trying to be a trendy, hip hotel, but has forgotten the basics that guests are looking for--comfort & service. The rooms are uncomfortable--small, odd furniture, the bathroom sink is strangely shaped and so tiny that it fails to drain water. The bathroom door slides open, which was annoying and leaves for very little privacy. The service is spotty. We had requested items from housekeeping and had to call multiple times. In the interim, we received a rubix cube and jelly apple--fun touches, but would much rather have received the towels that were needed.

I can't imagine staying at this hotel on a business trip. The internet is not free and overall the hotel room is hard to function in, given the size and odd design of the bathroom. The hotel gym and rooftop bar were top notch, but not a reason to stay at the hotel or recommend it. Go elsewhere for a more polished and relaxing stay.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
New York City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2009

I stayed at the Wit at the recommendation of a friend, who told me that the hotel was new, the rooms were clean and the roof top bar was a great nighttime spot. While I agree with that description, there are a few critical items those considering the Wit should know. First, the rooms are TINY. Two of us could not move around at the same time comfortably. The bathroom is small and NOT functional. The sink is "modern" and absolutely ridiculous. Also, there was a charge for use of the Internet in the room, even for Platinum Hilton Honors members. Second, as a first time visitor to Chicago, I found the hotel to be in an undesirable location. Yes, it is near the El, but Chicago is not that big and is quite walkable (on a warm day). I would have much preferred to be on the other side of the river, closer to Lake Michigan and the Gold Coast shopping. Taxis are not expensive, so if you wish to visit sights in the Loop area, my recommendation is to stay elsewhere and make the quick trip over. The only plus of being near the El was being able to easily travel to Wicker Park, which was a great place to walk around and spend a day. But a taxi from Michigan Avenue to the center of Wicker Park cost less than $10. Finally, while the rooftop was fun and a nice place to get a drink, it is not reason to stay in the hotel. A hotel key grants you immediate access to the roof, but it did not appear that non-guests had to wait (and this was Friday night). Because we were there on points (this is a Hilton), we ended up checking out and walking across the river to the Conrad (also a Hilton) for a GREAT stay. Next time I visit Chicago, I plan to skip the Wit.
One positive note, the gym was clean, new and nice with TVs on each cardio machine and plenty of ellipticals, bikes and treadmills.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2009

Stayed at The Wit for 4 nights at the end of October with a friend. We had a room with 2 queen beds and a massive tv! Room was spacious and really clean, maids did a good job each day and not forgetting the beds which are soooo comfortable!

Hotel is a great location, can walk everywhere including to Navy Pier, Art Institute, Willis Tower and The John Hancock Centre (or as we were told in the lift as we came down, we could now call it 'The John' which slightly amused us 2 English people!).

The Hotel is right by the El but this didn't disturb us and we used it to get to the Aquarium.

Staff at the Hotel are very friendly and helpful, recommended places to eat, helped with our onward travel, no question was too small for them. Special mention to the door staff who welcomed you back each day as if you had always been there. And the cookies are good too!

I can't fault anything about this hotel and we had an amazing stay.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2009

I had heard amazing things about the spa at the Wit, so I decided to try it for myself. I loved it! The atmosphere was serene and the locker room was private (had it all to myself) and provided everything I needed and wanted. Even when I was waiting for my massage to begin, I had the most amazing tea. The Tranquil massage was such a treat, especially since I'm a dancer, so I need to keep my muscles healthy. Overall, I would definitely come back again. A pleasure!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2009

I can't say enough about the Wit. Very trendy and cool, yet friendly and down-to-earth. The Front Desk staff is friendly; the doormen are great!; our housekeeper, Claudia, was excellent. She would leave us little friendly notes to wish us a "Happy Friday", etc. The nature sounds on the floors are a nice touch! The rooms are a bit small but the furnishings are very nice. The location is perfect! We walked (or trained) everywhere. Lots of choices in the hotel for food...love State & Lake. The Roof is nice, a little overpriced for drinks, I thought.

All in all, we can't wait to come back to Chicago and the Wit! We will recommend this hotel to EVERYONE! Thanks for a great time!!!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2009

We had an opportunity to stay at theWit for a fall weekend getaway in Chicago. This hotel is where all the action is. It is a perfect location to go in either direction to all the great places in Chicago. We enjoyed being so close to Macy's and theater on Sat. and then on Sunday, up North, to great restaurants. We were warmly greeted by hotel staff when we arrived. The doormen are some of the nicest in the city! Stepping into the hotel is like stepping into another world. The lobby is young, hip and modern but the music in the hallways to our room created a calming affect. The hotel rooms were spotless and fun to enjoy the great bathroom stuff. We had lunch at Cibo Matta (definitely try the onion dip) and, of course, drinks on Roof. Can't wait to see this view in the winter and how we're going to be kept warm! Definitely, a great view to see the Christmas decorations. TheWit is just a fun, great place from the minute you step into the hotel until you leave. It's a must see in Chicago!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton? Share your experiences!