“Very nice hotel with a great rooftop bar...poor internet speed” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Park and Chill Savings
Ranked #38 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Hong Kong, China
“Very nice hotel with a great rooftop bar...poor internet speed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I love staying at The Wit when I am in town. It is a great, swanky hotel with a lot of character and a wonderful rooftop bar (great in summer and winter). The wireless internet is extremely slow and kept disconnecting me which made it quite tough to work in the room so that should be improved. There rooms are also a bit noisy but it is a city so it is to be expected. Overall, if the internet speed could be improved in the rooms, I would give it 5 stars. Hopefully it gets better by the time I am back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Greensboro, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

This hotel is promoted as being a 'boutique hotel'. Really, it is pretty ordinary, and somewhat overpriced. The staff was excellent, friendly and helpful. Things we expected to find in the room: luggage racks, refrigerator (not the minibar), and coffee maker, were not. The location is excellent. A mixed review.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

GeneralManager201, General Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear JS7301970 ,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our hotel. I am not quite sure what you were looking for as far as a boutique hotel? Our clientele place us in the Boutique category; but you are correct that a 300 room hotel is not quite boutique. We certainly offer much more than a boutique hotel experience and hope that you were able to enjoy our restaurants, spa and rooftop lounge.

In regard to your expectations of the in room amenities, we do have coffee makers in every room (located next to the mini bar) and refrigerators are available upon request for our standard rooms. Many of our suites and upgraded accommodations have kitchenettes which may be more suitable for you if you choose to stay with us again.

Thank you for your comments regarding the staff, I will share them accordingly. We hope to see you again if your travels bring you back to Chicago.

Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We stayed this past weekend while visiting our son who is currently studying in Chicago. We were greeted curbside by a friendly and very attentive valet staff. The escorted us to the front desk where we were greeted by a very welcoming attendant who promptly offered us their signature warm chocolate chip cookie. We were shown to our room which was very nice and comfortable. After an afternoon of shopping on Michigan Ave. my wife and I returned to the hotel and decided to take in the view from the 27th floor lounge. The views were stunning and again the staff was very friendly and attentive . We had a wonderful breakfast at the lobby restaurant , State & Lake which was very tasty. Overall, we were very happy with our stay. The only negative was the price of parking at $56/ night which is more than we have paid at comparable Chicago hotels.

Room Tip: We stayed on the ninth floor which was great.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
GeneralManager201, General Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Tim S,

Thank you for your feedback and comments regarding your stay in Chicago. I am glad that you enjoyed the food and services throughout the hotel. As well, that you were able to enjoy the views form ROOF.

Unfortunately, the parking expenses in the local market continue to escalate and we are charged accordingly. I hope this does not deter you in the future. If at all possible, the hotel is convenient to both airports through the train system which deliver you to our doorstep. This may be an option for you next time?

Once again, I am glad that you enjoyed your experience and hope you will come back and visit us soon.

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

What an amazing hotel! Alex was such a great person to arrive to after a long day of work and travel. He was just so pleasant! Alex made sure I knew all about the roof top bars, where I could grab a bite to eat, etc. The Wit is convenient to everything-the perfect part of town.

I also really appreciated the follow up-I feel this hotel wants to be the best they can be.

I will definitely be staying there when I visit Chicago.

Dear cm n,

I truly appreciate your comments about your stay at theWit. Yes, we continue to strive for perfection in an unpretentious manner. I will pass along your comments to Alex and am glad that you had the opportunity to meet him upon arrival.

We hope to see you again soon!

Cherry Hill, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Stayed at The Wit while in town for a conference. Very hip and trendy hotel that was perfect for my needs. What I really needed, though, was an early check-in as my meetings started around noon and I was landing at O'Hare just after 9 AM from the east coast. Needless to say I was going to be tired and needing to refresh before my day and night of meetings, etc. Front desk wasnt able to promise anything until my day of arrival, but when I called early that morning I was told that I could guarantee a room upon my arrival if I "downgraded" from a king-bed to 2-queens. That was fine, so I took them up on the offer and everything was great from there.

Had 2 meals in the hotel and all of the food was delicious. Echo others sentiments about the ROOF bar being cool and had no issues of my own w/the elevators, so I cannot speak to that.

Would recommend.

Room Tip: My room was on the 14th floor and had no issues w/noise from any sides (top/bottom/neighbors/hall) o...
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I really enjoyed staying at this hotel. The location is ideal, the brown, purple, and pink subway stations are literally out the front door, and only 2 blocks away from the blue line (which you can take to/from O'Hare).

The staff, Danielle, Joel, and others were very friendly, helpful, gave great restaurant recommendations, and greeted us everytime we walked through the door.

We had a great time in Chicago, IL and being at this location helped us experience Chicago very easily.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I visited Chicago this weekend and stayed at theWit...it was fabulous! I used a pretty big chunk of my Hilton points but have to say it was well worth it.The Staff was awesome from the time I arrived and that continued throughout my stay. The corner King Spa room on the 14th floor overlooking the Chicago Theater to the left and a canal with expensive yacht's to the right...not to mention the great view of the Architecture all around was beautiful especially at night.

The bed was comfortable and the amentities in the bathroom were very functional. I loved having a huge tub and walk-in shower. Had the Spa turn my bathtub into a little oasis...they brought a variety of pack of Eucalypts oil, bath salts and body moisturizer that was nice. This was a little on the pricey side (about $35 + tip) for the amount of products that were given but it was an experience...wouldn't necessarily order this all of the time but enjoyed the serenity.

The Staff was knowledgable about the area and gave some good recommendations and directions on how to get there. The Concierge even helped me buy tickets to a live comedy show (Cedric the Entertainer & Friends at the Arie Theater). The Rooftop Bar was nice and the drinks were really reasonable however the techno house music really isn't my thing. The bar/club had that Vegas feel and would have probably been more enjoyable for me if I was with a group or significant other...but I was a table for 1 this weekend! It appeared to have some interesting menu items too for a club. The decor and ambience was nice!

I eat at the restaurant twice it was pleasant. Can't say it was the best meal of my life but overall pretty tasty! Elle was awesome!

So anyway, definitely two thumbs up to theWit! The location is great...I walked pretty much everywhere and when I did have to take a taxi, it was always within $10-15 each way.

S/O to a few people:
Jonah - Bell Hop
Elle - State Lake resturant
Kyle - Front Desk
Christopher or Christian - Valet

Thanks for an wonderful weekend!

Room Tip: Corner rooms/suites have the best views.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Been to theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton? Share your experiences!