“Unique/Trendy” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Tallmadge
“Unique/Trendy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Did not get to spend as much time exploring the hotel as I would have liked but it was visually pleasant and modern, young and trendy. Service was fast and pleasant and when I questioned water in my room, they sent two bottles up.....just to make sure.....which I thought was a great customer service touch. The location was great and easily walkable to most locations. They had my one pet peeve and that's the honor bar fridge that charges you if you open or move anything in it. I don't get that. If they give me free water because of my Honors status, why shouldn't I be allowed to keep it chilled without having to trudge to the ice machine in the middle of the night and keep it in a buckiet. They aren't alone, I know, but it still bothers me that I can't use the fridge if I don't buy something.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I stayed at “The Wit” for 5 days and was very pleased. I did have an issue with housekeeping coming into my room when I had the "don't disturb" sign up. Also the air conditioner was a little loud. The staff at the hotel corrected the problem very fast. I even received an email from the hotel thanking me for my stay and letting me know they will make sure this does not happen in the future. The hotel is very beautiful. The Staff was very helpful and excited that I was staying there. Bathrooms are very upscale. The location is awesome. You are one block from the Chicago Theater and the Chicago River. You will be blown away once you go to the roof top restaurant. I will return again in the future.

mdkane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stayed @ the Wit for a last-minute business trip. Location is great, just into the loop so accessible for business but close to shopping, restaurants, etc. of River North. Room (booked by agent, but I think was a standard king) was nice. Good size, nicely appointed bedroom with large wardrobe unit and a nice (but not high end) bathroom.

My only complaint was the noise level. I was on the 8th floor, facing west (over the front of the building), which is basically above the El station. Could very clearly hear trains pulling into and out of station every few minutes. Went back downstairs to see if I would get something in a different line or higher floor, but was told nothing available. Was made very clear that rooms were available, but just not "of the type" I booked. I thought this was a bit lame. Not sure of the rate (again, booked by client's travel agent), but I believe it was around $300/night. If a guest is gently complaining about the noise in their room, and you have other room types unsold and available at 6:30 pm on a Tuesday, I don't think it is unreasonable to expect to be moved. It was such a quick trip that I didn't put up much of a fight, but the front desk agent went back to "check" with someone else. It was clear they were not checking to see if there was something else in my room class available, but rather whether he could put my in another room. Apparently he was told "no." I give the place pretty high marks overall, but these was not great customer service from my perspective and left a bit of a bad test in my mouth.

Restaurant off the lobby (State & Lake) was a highlight. Had a nice drink at the bar and then dinner with a colleague in the dining room. Food was surprisingly good (try the Amish chicken). Staff was very friendly and knowledgeable of local beers (apparently no one considers Goose Island local anymore since they were bought by Busch. Pre-recorded wake up call from Mayor Daley impersonator was also a nice touch.

Overall, I liked and would come back. Probably with my family. Not really a business-orientated hotel, although I'm not sure that's what they are trying for. Roof top bar is also a bit of a misnomer, since, as far as I could tell, you can't go outside (part was closed for private party, so I may have missed it). Kind of felt like much adieu about nothing.

Irvine, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

When I checked in the person said he would put me on the 26th Floor, but it gets a little loud on Friday nights due to the Roof Top Bar. It was loud Wed. and Thurs. I asked to be moved which wasn't an issue for the hotel. I do not feel that guest should have to pay full price for a room that is so loud. When I made my reservation, I was expecting to pay $374 per night, but not for a room that I had trouble sleeping in. I felt a credit should have been offered. Because the situation was not handled as well as it could have been, I don't know that I would chose your facility again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I normally stay at the Fairfield Inn at 216 East Ontario. I enjoyed the location of The Wit but it is pretty expensive compared to the Fairfield Inn. Overall I prefer The Wit but the rate is double that of the Fairfield Inn.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Algonquin, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Overall the hotel is very trendy and nice. Staff seems very helpful. Very disappointed with how the rooftop lounge has pretty much changed to a club. During our stay the weather was beautiful yet the rooftop bar was no longer open to the air. It was basically a club with a glass roof, such a shame that they changed their concept from a classy, sophisticated lounge where you could enjoy a drink with a beautiful view and fresh air to what it is now. They also used to have a long table with fire that was amazing, that table is now the stage for dancers. We needed to run to our room but were unable to go directly back up to the roof, we had to go back down to the lobby and get rechecked and wait again in order to return even though we had reserved seating. Will much rather enjoy a different rooftop lounge in the future. Will no longer hang at this one.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager201, General Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback, I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay. As well, I am glad that you visited our rooftop lounge ROOF. Yes, you are correct we did install a retractable roof last year; which allows guests to enjoy the environment year round.

Unfortunately, we have had a mechanical issue with one half which prevents us from opening the entire structure at the moment. This is presently being addressed and should be repaired shortly.

The new roof also impacts our ability to light the fire pits, since they are natural gas and cannot be lit in a enclosed environment. The good news is we have both heating and cooling so we can operate 365 days a year on the 27th floor. We are now able to use the tables for many functions, including our popular ROOF Runway series fashion shows.

ROOF continues to win awards worldwide and is presently rated as the number 3 rooftop lounge in the world. As such we continue to focus on the service and the overall experience of our guests. Your comments are appreciated and will be shared with our management team.

Once again, thank you for staying at theWit and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Ryan Kingston
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I loved our stay at the Wit. The location was perfect, our room (we splurged for a Junior Spa Suite) was ideal and huge with an entire wall of floor to ceiling windows with an exceptional view of the city and river.

The staff, namely Jonah, at the Conceirge Desk was so over-the-top helpful and friendly and available, it made us feel very special every time we walked through the lobby.

The only disappointment, as I have been wanting to stay at the Wit namely for The Roof, was The Roof! They no longer have the tabletop firepits and it seems the retractable roof is often closed due to special events. Those special events, at least while we were there, consisted mostly of parties and music designed to draw a younger crowd. And although the service was exceptional everwhere else at the Wit, the service on the Roof was sorely lacking. Still, it's a must-see. Nice views and atmosphere. Just bring plently of $$$!

If I ever get to Chicago again, I'd definitely stay at The Wit.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for your feedback, I am glad that you enjoyed your weekend. I will pass along your comments to Jonah and the staff; I am very privileged to have such a great service oriented team.

In regard to your experience at ROOF; the good news about the retractable roof is that we can operate 365 days a year. The downside is we cannot have gas firepits in an enclosed environment. We now have heating and cooling to ensure a comfortable environment no matter what the weather does.

Typically, the roof is completely open on beautiful sunny days; however, we have had a mechanical issue with one half which prevents us from opening the entire structure at the moment. This is presently being addressed and will be repaired shortly. We will continue to focus on the service you mention at ROOF.

Ryan Kingston

Been to theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton? Share your experiences!