“Big rooms, good service” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
1893 World’s Fair Offer
Ranked #33 of 167 hotels in Chicago
Porto, Portugal
“Big rooms, good service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I was at the The Wit for an entire week on a company training program. I have some complaints about the service offered to the group, but I will ignore this for the sake of this review, since I don’t know how much responsibility lies with the hotel (e.g., one of the breakfasts was a Mexican breakfast and there were no basic options such as oatmeal or toast, even when asked for!).
Check-in was quick. We were given a high room, with great views over the city. It was big, very comfortable, and clean. I must give the hotel extra points for the great desk in the room – I believe it was the most comfortable working space I’ve ever found in a room. The chair was comfortable and it had proper lighting. Also, the room had a mini kitchenette, with refrigerator and microwave.
Reception/concierge were great. We received a lot of packages during our stay, and they immediately brought them up to our room. Great job!
Location was also good, right next to a tram stop, and within walking distance of the Magnificent Mile and of Millennium Park.
I didn’t try the regular restaurant. We had all the meals with the group – food was good, although choice was a bit awkward sometimes. I also didn’t enjoy that sandwiches were always full of sauces or cheese (no healthy options).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
TadStricker, Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide the thorough feedback from your week long stay at theWit Hotel. I will certainly pass along the kind comments to our reception and concierge staff. I am so glad to hear that they were able to provide efficient and thoughtful service. This is exactly what makes theWit "More Experience Than Hotel."

We do host many groups and functions here at theWit, and each group chooses the dining options from our very large and expansive banquet menu. I am sorry that these particular meals did not meet your dietary needs. I would like to share this feedback with the event planner for your group, but need some additional information as to which group you were specifically with. Our award winning chef is able to meet and accomodate any dietary restriction with some notice.

Please feel free to contact me directly. Thank you again!

Best Regards,
Tad Stricker
Director of Operations
tstricker@thewithotel.com

1,083 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

This is not a hotel for business travelers who need to work and sleep. Upon on arrival the maid was in the room next door and had the TV on, which was so loud I first thought my radio had been left on ... tonight, the gentleman in the same room can be heard in conversation and all other ways. While they project an ambience of hip, cool, high-end, etc. it's just a veneer if you're just looking to get some rest.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the feedback. Please note that for those sensitive to sound/not sound sleepers, we can offer rooms without connecting doors, and other rooms with variable exposures to the city. Additionally, with the double-paned windows of differing dimensions, we have taken steps to be the most-sound proof environment within city hotels. As a last additional option, we do offer complimentary WIT ear-plugs. Our goal is to make each guest stay the most comfortable and enjoyable experience possible.

Thank you again, and please feel free to reach out to me directly in the future so that I may ensure your complete satisfaction.

Best Regards,
Tad Stricker
Director of Operations
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I have visited this hotel location many times but had to write about the attentiveness, dedication to customer service and friendliness that front desk staff Mallory Krugman provided upon my last visit. I appreciate good customer service and I must call it out when I see it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
PFamilyMiami, General Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thanks, yet again, for the great reviews this week. We will, asbolutely, acknowledge Mallory and the other stars mentioned. Likewise, we review each critique with the team. We are thrilled at all the genuine, positive feedback regarding experiences at theWit and in the heart of Chicago.

As we've reminded folks before on this site, we do have a variety of room types and locations and so be sure to discuss with our team at the time of booking and/or arrival to ensure that we select the right one for you!

We appreciate the feedback.

-theWit Team
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Full Time Business Traveler: theWit is a superb hotel on many fronts. However, depending on the type of traveler you are, there are considerations to make before choosing this mostly superb hotel.
The hotel is 27 floors and is an attractive building with a stylish design around the first floor. It is a very stylish lobby, good elevator service (it requires a key to stop in a floor with rooms).
All staff was highly professional and friendly. Every cab gets hailed for you, every door opened, reservations for dinner made for you, recommendations for things to do, extras brought to you right away when you want them, even the revolving door will frequently be given a push for you. ((Side note, there is the most impressive Walgreens only a 2 minute walk away. One does not think high end when they think Walgreens but this is VERY high end. Groceries, impressive win selection, deli with high quality offerings, this place will giver your store needs completely.))

The room is very high tech, nice decor (a bit darkish), excellent outlet availability, great work area, window opens, nice views, top notch environmental controls, excellent A/V, very comfortable bed, superb toiletry offerings, fairly solid internet (upgraded speed choice), plenty of light (large windows with lots of sunlight when needed), light mood background sounds in the hallways
Again, just so much to like about this hotel. They really run a first class hotel.

However, for the toned down traveler be aware that a VERY trendy and popular night club is on the top floor. During the week you get music out front and 20 somethings with women in their 'best' clubwear. It wasn't a big issue for me, it's often part of downtown big city living. But on Friday that level went much higher. You may hear faint bass from the music from the night club if you are within 2 floors of the 27th. The hotel goes out of their way (understandably so) to also accommodate night club guests. A bit of a cold reaction from a large night club 'host' out front of the hotel gave me an odd feeling but not a big deal. Out front late-ish Friday night was lots and lots of club goers, music going, interesting people watch if nothing else.
If what i describe is your scene or you don't mind these kind of goings on, theWit is a fantastic choice! If you want something more toned down than what I describe (especially Friday and Saturday night), you might want to cross the river and choose Embassy or Homewood Suites or Marriott among others.
As long as that doesn't bother you, I highly recommend theWit.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Redondo Beach, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

The Wit is well kept, well run, and has some great facilities - especially on the rooftop. Great place to stay on business, or to conduct business meetings. Also, since I was leaving right at rush hour, I walked the two blocks to the Blue Line station. I was at the airport and through security before my colleagues who took a taxi had even arrived - and they left 30 minutes before me.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Indianapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I spent a Saturday at theWit. The staff is very courteous, and very helpful. Our room was nice (very clean). I will say that the acoustics are horrible--we were on the 20th floor, and I was awakened no less than five times by police cars/firetrucks blazing by. I could understand that on one of the lower floors, but on an upper floor, not so much. The view from our room was good (overlooked Chicago River).We did not think a lot of the rooftop bar--supposedly one of the top three in the world. The bar at the Hancock Building has a much better view, and much better ambiance. Overall, I would recommend it, but for the price, I definitely prefer the Palmer House.

Room Tip: Ask for something facing Lake Michigan/Chicago River.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
PFamilyMiami, General Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for the great feedback. Please note that for those sensitive to sound/not sound sleepers, we can offer rooms with variable exposures tyo the city. Additionally, with the double-paned windows of differing dimensions, we have taken steps to be the most-sound proof environement within city hotels. As a last additional option, we do offer complimentary WIT ear-plugs. Our goal is to make each guest stay the most comfortable and enjoyable experience possible.

Regards,

theWit Team
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We had a blast at our recent stay at TheWit. Such a cool, fun hotel and you couldn't ask for a better location. Just a couple of blocks from Millennium Park and Michigan Avenue. We especially loved the staff at State & Lake - just a great group of folks.

Our room was very comfortable with great views. Bathroom was roomy with cool fixtures.

We also enjoyed watching the people outside who were taking "the plunge" - wow!

Next time we're in Chicago, you can find us here :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton? Share your experiences!