“Great location and overall stay!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
1893 World’s Fair Offer
Ranked #31 of 169 hotels in Chicago
Carpentersville, Illinois
“Great location and overall stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We had a free night from Hotels.com so got to stay here for little to nothing. Very nice hotel great location. Lobby was smaller than thought. Valet was 50 a night for parking, right down the street you can self park for far cheaper. The skydeck was amazing with great views didnt get to stay long as we had our baby with us but we did eat at State and Lake which was very good. Room was great no complaints. The bed was ok didnt sleep that great as the room was cold but we kept getting to hot and lots of sirens as well throughout the night which is not representative of the hotel itself which was amazing and great staff who got us a crib and gave us baby products as well as a nice gesture

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

1,226 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Ada, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Was here for a board retreat and the property was in the heart of the loop on State and Lake which made it great for an easy walk to shopping, theaters, etc. The meeting rooms and the service were top rate. The catering in the meeting rooms was also superb...we had continental breakfasts and afternoon snacks, all of which were well done and well presented.
The rooms were well appointed although the king room had a chaise which wasn't as nice as two side chairs for sitting and talking.
Checkin and checkout were a breeze, the staff attentive, friendly and helpful. Warm cookies at Check In are never a bad idea...but it was a bit wierd to be charged for wifi at a luxury hotel when you get it free at the Holiday Inn Express....

Room Tip: upper floors (at least 8 or above) the noise of the elevated train running next to the hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Ridgeland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

This hotel was outstanding from the minute of check in to check out - we stayed 3 days, the staff was so very friendly, the lady that checked us in, Danielle, I think, was awesome. The room was wonderful, clean and the location is perfect! This hotel is definitely managed very well as you can see it throughout the staff! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
NASHVILLE TENNESSEE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Enjoyed my stay at theWIT. Arrived about 1pm and Andrea promptly checked me into a great room. She was very courteous and made me feel at home! The room was large with a very comfortable bed, linens and a large sofa that was great to stretch out on.

Carla at the conceirge desk was also very sweet and helpful if i had any questions. Also thanks to Jonah at the bell desk.

highly recommend theWIT

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

The Wit has an intriguing history and name, yes it's short for "Witty," so is it funny? If you have a warped sense of humor, Andy Warhol-ish, perhaps. The staff are polite, cool, if a tad self-absorbed, but responsive if engaged. Location is great; rooms are adequate; restaurant is mixed with interesting menu that fell short in my two breakfasts and one dinner, but I love the drinks! Give it a go, you won't be disappointed and the price is reasonable in contrast to other hotels nearby.

Room Tip: Away from the elevators. My Profile with Amex Travel specifies that clearly, but I still got a room...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
PFamilyMiami, General Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
We aim to live up to theWit potential in each and every area. Thank you for feedback and perspectives that WILL help us to excel.

-Mark Shouger
Fishers, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

My husband planned a surprise getaway for our anniversary, and he picked theWit in Chicago. it was a great choice! The decor was swanky and cool, and the location was great. It was walking distance to almost everything we wanted to see, and there's an El stop right on the corner so we could get anywhere else. The restaurant and bar downstairs was cozy, with good food and drink options. We did not check out the Roof, but it was hopping every night. Somehow my husband scored a deal and got the Groupon price, without buying the Groupon, so why not ask for a discount? The only downside was the two night party in the room next door that was loud and obnoxious. Hopefully they won't be there when you go.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Cedar Springs, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I am a frequent traveler and a Diamond HHonors member. After reading all the great reviews for this hotel I decided to stay here for my 3 day business trip to Chicago. I am here, right now, night number 1.

So far, I am not that impressed and a little annoyed. I will see how the rest of the week goes and may change the rating if things improve. It is late and I am tired and I might just be a little punchy so keep that in mind as you read this.

My first impressions:

1. Very pleasant staff. But that is their job right? My rating this first night would be a 2 if it wasn't for the staff.
2. I am a Diamond HHonors member. I travel for my job...a lot. I make it a point to stay at Hilton Hotels. I hope this doesn't sound snobbish and I know it probably will to those who DON'T travel alot but for those that travel alot I know you will understand. Where is the upgrade? You have much better rooms than this. It isn't a busy weekend, how about a little love?
3. The HHonors code for the internet did not work. I know, travel snob. But when I get in late and still have 4 hours of work to do, which requires the internet and it doesn't work? It just doesn't sit well when I have to call the front desk, they send someone up to the room just to tell me they can't get it to work either and then spend 15 minutes on the phone with their third-party tech support. Who by the way couldn't get it to work so just manually gave me access. This happens, I know, but it shouldn't. Simplest thing in the world, internet access.

4. I am hungry. I have work to do. It would be nice to get some room service. I call and no answer. Have tried twice. Let me try again right now. Ringing...Ringing...Ringing..."The wireless customer you are trying is not available, please try again later" Hello? Hello? So I am going to call the front desk and see what they have to say. Hold on a second. Called the "Questions/Answers" line, which is just an operator. I explained to her that I was starving and the In-Room Dining person (is there really only one?) is AWOL. She said hold on a second I will try to get ahold of them for you. Waiting...stomach growling...waiting. "Sir? I am going to have to have them give you a call right back in your room." Sigh. Looks like I work on an empty stomach tonight. Or I could break into that once hot, now cold cookie I got when I checked in. But I would rather spend the 310 calories, 22g of sugars and 18g fat on something a little more filling and nutritious. We will see how long I can hold out.

The Hotel's hold music has an announcer where she says "One Sexy Hotel, it is because of the experience....blah, blah, blah." You can have a fancy movie screening room. A fancy bar on the roof. A fancy Spa. Fancy sound playing in the hallway. But if you can't get the basics right, the other fluff isn't worth a dime.

Oh, and still no phone call from In-Room dining. It's been 15 minutes.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
We are pleased that we were able to reach out while still visiting with us, and that we were able to meet personally and to make amends for initial misses. First impressions count, and ours are typically better than this. We have reviewed with our team for perspective and continuous improvement.

Thank you.

-Mark Shouger

Been to theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton? Share your experiences!