“Nice hotel!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
NH
“Nice hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Right next to the Chicago Theater. It is definitely more of a high end hotel than what I usually stay in. I generally would not stay at such an expensive hotel. In response to other reviewer's comments. 1) the taped/piped in sounds of birds, crickets, etc in the halls - didn't bother me. I'm from the country, so I'm used to hearing these noises. If anything it made it feel more like home. 2) I fully agree with those that complained about cost of internet. For the price of the rooms, it should come free. Most of the hotels I stay at offer this service for free. Being a business hotel as well, I'm surprised at the fees. 3) The mini bar - there is a warning sign posted not to move items as they are on sensors and you will be charged whether you consume the items or not. Think about it, they don't know if you have tampered with these items, so they have to be cautious if you move them. That being said, there should be room so that you can keep your own water bottles, left over food from restaurants, etc cold. You can have housekeeping bring you a mini-frige, but I'm guessing given the internet fees, that there would be an additional rental fee - I don't know for certain, we didn't pursue that. 4) I thought the food at State & Lake (their restaurant) was good and offered decent choices and most were quite affordable (except for the $4 coffee/juice, but that does seem to be refilled for free, so not a strong complaint).

Otherwise, I was suprised at how quiet the hotel was - I am a very light sleeper and tend to find that there are always noisy neighbors coming in at all hours of the night/wee hours of the morning, talking very loudly and slamming their doors. Not so at the WIT - I never was awakened by loud people in the hall - it was a pleasant surprise. I didn't hear noise from the traffic or the train, but we were on the 14th floor, so perhaps on other floors or locations in the building that would be worse.

I am so thankful for Travis at the consierge desk! I would not have seen nearly as much of the city without him. Yes, that's his job, but he was so kind & understanding of someone who is not "city wise/street smart" (my words, not his). He answered so many of my questions and gave me directions to get me safely & easily throughout the city.

We were so busy, we never had a chance to make it up to the rooftop bar, but never were bothered by those coming & going from it as others have commented.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

My husband and I spent the weekend at the hotel for my birthday. We were pleasantly surprised with an upgrade to a suite with a view. Very modern, hip, clean and comfy rooms. We also enjoyed drinks at the hotel restaurant and rooftop bar. The breakfast menu didn't have many options and the quality of food wasn't great, but I was pleased with the huge portions of fruit. Also, the lobby is a bit busy at night with the popularity of the roof top bar, but the staff are helpful in handling the crowd and it didn't bother us too much. We tremendously enjoyed our stay and the location was perfect for our plans for the weekend.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

My daughter and I stayed at theWit for 3 nights while in Chicago for her college orientation. I originally booked a 2 Q bedded room for 2 nights at $299 each night, then decided to add 1 more night a couple of weeks before our trip. Unfortunately, the 2 Queen bedded room wasn't available, so I had to book a 1 bedroom suite for quite a bit more money-$409. I was told by central reservations to keep checking to see if there was a cancellation and I could change the reservation and stay in our original room for the same price-$299. After 2 wonderful nights in a really nice 2 Queen bedded room on the 9th floor (916) with a gorgeous view of the Chicago River, we were told that our room, indeed was available. BUT....they had a fabulous suite for us on the 25th floor with fabulous views-really nice. I asked if I could keep my original room and pay the $299 and was told I could keep that room, but would have to pay $409. Well, if I was paying more $, I might as well move to the suite. The suite was everything I was told it would be-huge living room with a wall of windows looking down onto the Chicago River, dining area and kitchenette, and a huge bedroom with a huge bathroom with spa tub and separate shower. We also had the breakfast included in our rate. The last morning we ordered room service which cost $50. Upon check-out, and after stewing about moving rooms and paying more $, I asked to speak to the manager. I was charged $50 for the room service breakfast and I was annoyed that I was told I could stay in my original room and pay the $299 if it was available, then was told I couldn't do that. Ryan, the manager, was great! He apologized for the mis-communication and said he would speak to the staff and central reservations regarding my issues. He immediately removed the $50 breakfast charge from our bill and was so nice about everything. I was really grateful for his kindness. Another issue I had was the charge of $11.95 for wifi. My 19 year old daughter was with me and we didn't realize that we were being charged $11.95 for each device for wifi. I think we were charged around $70. One of the charges was removed from our bill.
TheWit has a lot of positives going for it-the location couldn't be better! We walked everywhere we needed to go. The hotel is modern and beautiful with good sized rooms that are furnished really nicely. We ate breakfast and a late night snack in the restaurant, State and Lake. The German pretzels with beer cheese were delicious! I wish we had visited the rooftop bar and spa, as they looked awesome! The staff were so attentive-always acknowledging us and asking how our day was going, holding/opening doors for us, hailing a taxi for us.
A fun aspect of theWit that I'd never seen or heard of before was that in the hallways there is a speaker system and it doesn't play music-during the daytime you hear birds chirping and singing, and at night the crickets are chirping. We thought that was fun.
We will be coming back to theWit the end of August when we move our daughter into her dorm to start college. Thanks to Ryan and his staff for addressing our issues and we look forward to our visit in a few weeks.

Room Tip: Room with a view of the River is awesome.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
PFamilyMiami, General Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, July 21, 2012
Kind words for Ryan and the guest contact team have been shared and celebrated.

We are thrilled with all the positive responses and recognition of all that theWit has to offer, the little things that make a difference and the staff attention.

We eagerly await repeat visits as well as visits from new guests reading TripAdvisor and all web reviews.

Mark Shouger
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

My fiance and I stayed here for a weekend when we were in town for a wedding. We have stayed in many hotels and are definitely picky and I was therefore skeptical when I heard it was a Doubletree. However, the Wit was lovely, clean, and fun. The front desk staff were extremely friendly and helpful - they are clearly focused on customer service beyond all else. I needed a razor in my room and it came in 2 minutes. My fiance needed to leave me a note since I had lost my phone and the front desk staff totally obliged and helped us connect with each other. Our room was very nice for the price and was clean and well appointed. The rooftop bar is gorgeous and we had a blast dancing there and having some drinks. Overall, I was really pleased with the Wit and its staff. Keep it up! We will definitely return next time we are in town.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Enjoyed this hotel. Rooms were well above par compared to your standard Doubletree.
Nice mini bar. :)
Great central downtown Chicago location!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Rock Springs, Wyoming
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Wasn’t sure where to stop when we first pulled up to the hotel. The hotel name/sign was a little difficult to see, and there was no type of signage as to where to stop for the valet. That’s the bad
For the good: Arrived before standard check in time, front desk staff apologized that our room was not ready, the hotel is in a great location and allows for easy walking all through downtown. As soon as the room was ready the front desk called. Very nice corner room, view of the Trump Tower, the river and the Chicago Theater. It was an easy walk to the Sears Tower in one direction and the Navy Pier in the other. We checked out at 10:00am but didn’t need to leave downtown until much later; the staff stored our luggage and kept our car in the valet parking until 3:00 when we left downtown.
I look forward to staying again when back in Chicago.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

This place was electric! My wife and stayed at the Wit for three days in late June and couldn't have asked for more. The staff was very happy and made us feel at home. It was as though we were regulars at the property. The Roof bar was amazing and the location was perfect, we walked all over the city. The room was comfortable, clean and quiet. Perfect experience!!!

• Stayed June 2012

Been to theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton? Share your experiences!