“Fun, Hip Hotel!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton

You added theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton to your Saves list
theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   201 N. State Street, Chicago, IL 60601 (Downtown / The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Intimate Escape Special
Ranked #40 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Certificate of Excellence 2014
California
“Fun, Hip Hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Just returned from our second stay at theWit! Once again, we were quite satisfied. We spent a few nights last year here and enjoyed our stay so much that we decided to stay here again. The rooms are ultra modern. This time we stayed in a King spa room. The only recommendation I would have is that if you're staying in a spa room maybe you'd enjoy robes? The staff at theWit is amazing! The concierge even got us into a restaurant for dinner at our preferred time when both opentable and a phone call to the restaurant by us didn't do the trick. We also enjoyed the Roof bar on the 27th floor. We may not be in our 20's but just the people watching alone is worth the trip. Being a hotel guest, the cover charge is waived.

Thanks again to the staff at theWit for another fun stay!

Room Tip: Don't think there's a bad room in the hotel!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

The rooms are well appointed and I like that there are many outlets for recharging. However, I never like to pay for wi-fi and this place charges for each device you want to connect. I think it's outrageous to spend $12/day and not be able to connect a computer and ipad if you need to in your room. I don't want to go to the lobby to do my business. Be warned

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Bloomington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

My wife and I spent a weekend here last summer and really enjoyed the hotel. Our room was very large with floo to ceiling windows with great views. The rooftop bar was noisy and fun, and great for people watching. Great location, close to the train, and walking distance to a lot of great restaurants. Valet parking was a little overpriced, but not any higher than other downtown hotels. Overall, we enjoyed it and will be back.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Swartz Creek, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

My wife and I traveled to Chicago for a weekend and chose The Wit because we had seen it on our last trip and liked the location and the look of it. The staff was very friendly during check-in and accommodated us when we asked for a room change based on the layout of the room. The room we stayed in had floor to ceiling windows with a beautiful view of State Street. The bathroom was amazing with a glass shower, large tub, and floor to ceiling windows. Shades provided 100% privacy when desired, but the evening bath with the city right there in front of us was very romantic. We visited the restaurant, State and Lake, and were very impressed with the food and draft beer selection. We sat at the bar and purchased two appetizers; a tuna tartar and the pretzel with beer cheese and both were excellent. We told the bartender how good they were and the next thing we knew the chef was there with a couple of additional appetizers; a steak tartar and the hotdog flight and those two were also delicious. There were at least 8 local craft beers at tap and the bartender was very knowledgeable about the selections available. The largest Walgreens I have ever seen was right next door and most everything we did was in walking distance or a short cab ride away. The L and subway are immediately next to the hotel so all of Chicago is easily accessible to you through any mode of transportation. There were a few reviews we read about the noise of the L, but I thought it added to the city experience and found it to be a nice addition to our stay. We will definitely return and have already started recommending it to our friends.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager201, Guest Relations Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, January 21, 2015
Dear Timothy B,

Thank you for sharing your experience at theWit Hotel! We hope to see you back soon. Have a marvelous afternoon!

At your Service,

theWit Guest Relations Team
Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for a couple weekend recently. The hotel room was very welcoming and pleasant as were the hotel staff. The location is great for seeing the sites around Chicago. The only problem I had was a valet who got thick mud caked in my floor mats, and unfortunately emails regarding this issue to the hotel have gone unanswered. I would stay here again, but for $50/night I might park my car myself.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
PFamilyMiami, General Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Thank you for your feedback!

We will share kind words regarding an overall positive experience with the team.

Sincere apologies for issues with the vehicle presentation in and around the times of the storms. This is certainly not anticipated nor acceptable and internal corrective actions are being taken to ensure that like incidents cannot recur.

We believe that correspondance has since taken place with our Valet leadership team. Please contact me directly at 312 239 9521 if I may be of any personal assistance in the matter.

Best regards,

Mark Shouger
Bonsall, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

Overall, I enjoyed my four night stay at theWit. It sure isn't like any other Doubletree I've been to before (and I worked at one.) That's a good thing, by the way. Well, one thing it has in common with other Doubletrees is the friendly staff, and the cookie, of course. Everyone I encountered here was beyond helpful. Some of them could use more training, especially the front desk, but they all meant well and did try. Although my Diamond status was acknowledged at check-in, he forgot to give me breakfast vouchers and the internet access code. When Jonah, our bellman, realized this after we arrived in the room, he quickly went down and got everything for us without being asked. And he did it quickly. He also retrieved a missing luggage rack. After that he always greeted us in the lobby. He's a standout among an overall wonderful staff.

We were in a corner King Suite, which was enormous. It had a large kitchen area, dining table, separate bedroom with windows on two sides, and giant bathroom. The kitchen is stocked with utensils for preparing meals, but there is only a microwave, so I'm not sure what the point is of all that stuff, especially the complete set of knives. I would liken the suite to a time share type of room or a condo. It was a good value for a big city like Chicago and easily $100 less per night than the other hotels I considered in the same area.

The furniture is nice and comfortable. The bed is like a nest. I didn't want to get out of it. The two large LCD HD tvs actually received hi-def programming, which for some reason I've found to be unusual in hotels. Air conditioning worked fine and everything was clean and in good repair for the most part.

Others have mentioned the heavy sliding bathroom door and I agree it is annoying. We're two strong men and when ours came off the track the first time we closed it, it took both of us to re-open it. When we reported it, it was fixed immediately, but it was still very heavy. I don't know how an older person or small woman could move it at all.

Our view was of the river, which was spectacular. There is the usual city noise even on the 24th floor, but that's to be expected anywhere in Chicago. We were aware of the L nearby, but it wasn't bothersome at all.

The hotel's restaurant is very good and a good value for dinner. Breakfast though is extremely overpriced. $75 for breakfast? At a Doubletree??? I've had less expensive room service meals at a Four Seasons! At least the food was good and there are lots of interesting choices.

One thing to be very aware of is that this hotel tries, and succeeds, in attracting a party crowd on weekends. We had some extreme party animals check in next door who proceeded to scream and jump on the beds while playing music at full volume. On the way out to dinner I mentioned it ot the front desk and the reaction was, "I kind of expected them to be like that." Uh, OK, so why did you put them next to someone who is staying for several days? Luckily they were out when we returned, so no further problem. But, do expect to run the gaunlet of party goers in the lobby on weekends, complete with bouncers and velvet ropes. I will give the staff credit for at least attempting to keep the partiers separate from the hotel guests, but there is only so much they can do. So, if you aren't there to party, I would avoid the weekends.

Another issue at the moment is the possibility of construction noise from the rooftop bar remodel. It was EXTREMELY noisy all day Saturday. There was no way we could stay in the hotel that day. We returned at 5pm and it was still going on (sounded like sanding floors or jackhammering), but it ended shortly thereafter. When I mentioned it upon checkout, I was offered a refund of one night's rate, which was very generous considering I wasn't asking for anything. However, I had to "remind" them when it never showed up on my bill. I did eventually get it, so no harm done, but it would have left a better impression had they followed through as promised.

The hotel tries very hard to be trendy. So hard it shows, which means they are going too far in my opinion. There are other hotels in the area that do quirky better, but they cost a lot more. I liken this place to a W Hotel without the attitude.

I probably wouldn't stay here again myself. It just wasn't a perfect fit for me and there are so many other places nearby that I'd want to try next time.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
PFamilyMiami, General Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
Details, details, details... are appreciated as this allows the team to work towards continuous improvemnet and perfection at every turn.

We are pleased that team member engagement and care continue to be on the top of most lists.

As shared in past responses to the many, appreciated critiques, our team can help select the right accommodations for each guest according to floor, view, proximity to other experiential areas of the property, etc.

A WHOLE NEW ROOF is, in fact, completed and all related construction has ceased. The outdoor patio is now a sight to be seen and available year-round rain, snow or shine.

All visits, business and feedback is GREATLY appreciated.

Mark Shouger
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

I picked this hotel because I was visiting my daughter, and it is located 2 blocks from where she works. It is also very close to Millennium Park, the Art Institute and downtown shopping. The staff were very solicitous and helpful, and the room was comfortable. My main complaint is their ridiculous WIFI policy. On the website the hotel describes their WIFI as "the ultimate in wired and wireless high-speed Internet access." It is "the ultimate" in annoying and over-priced access. At the rate I paid for the room, WIFI should have been included, after all, if it's free at cheap chain motels, why charge so much here? Instead of free WIFI, theWit offered 3 purchase options. The lowest provided only the basics, i.e., checking email and downloading no more that 1MB PER DAY. The midrange option allows you to download a max of 3 MB PER DAY, and the top option allows you to download no more than 5MB PER DAY. However, (this is what really astounded me) access is only offered PER DEVICE! So if you are staying with your spouse and he needs to get work done on his laptop and you want to download a new book on your Kindle, you have to buy 2 WIFI accounts! Details about the WIFI pIans were not described in any literature in the room, and the front desk rep couldn't even explain the pricing or services to me. I only discovered the "single device" rule after signing up for the day. I was reminded not to make assumptions but to ask detailed questions about important services before making a reservation.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton? Share your experiences!