“Beautiful!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton

You added theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton to your Saves list
theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   201 N. State Street, Chicago, IL 60601 (Downtown / The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Intimate Escape Special
Ranked #41 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Saint Paris, OH
“Beautiful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

This is the cleanest hotel I have ever stayed in. I am one picky SOB, that checks mattresses for bugs and stains, linens for stains and wear, leaking pipes, mold, etc. By far, this is the cleanest, freshest and most modern hotel I've stayed at in a long time. Very quiet. Good service. Close to Old Navy, Michigan Ave., and theater district. Extremely helpful and friendly staff in all areas of the hotel. Of all the Hiltons in Chicago, this is my new first choice!

Room Tip: We stayed in a King Suite with our 21 yr. old daughter and had plenty of room. Full kitchens, Spa tu...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
Little Rock, Ar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

We stayed here in early November for our annual girls family trip that encompasses three generation. This is our first time to stay in "the Loop" as we usually stay in the Michigan Avenue area. My sister got a good rate, so we decided to give this area a try. Great location if you are interested in the theater and there is a new mall across the street that has Anthropologie, Zara and other good stores. Also, Macys big store-formally Marshall Fields.

The hotel is lobby is nice and "boutiqueish". The rooms are new and spacious-very lovely. A small refrigerator was promptly delivered to our room as requested. The beds were very comfortable. However, there were no robes in the room which was a surprise. It is unfortunate that a few things happen that spoil your view of a hotel.When we returned to the hotel after a day of shopping, all of our dirty glasses were still in our room and our bathroom sink was not clean. My sister's room was the same way. When we told the front desk of this, the person there said "oh" and that was it. He did write our room numbers down, but when we returned from dinner, we still had no clean glasses. Since there were three of us sharing the room, we went down to the bar to get a glass of water to take up, just to get a clean glass.

There is a very nice rooftop bar. Unfortunately it was raining, so we could not go outside, but we did have a drink at the bar. Our $15.00 glasses of wine were served in scarred heavy plastic glasses. Again, I know this sounds picky and I guess they are plastic for outdoor use, but i know there are better plastic wine glasses out there because I have some! Also, many outdoor bars use glass. When you pay that for a glass of wine, I just prefer a real glass or at least a nice looking plastic glass.

Although I have no complaints about the service, I have no accolades either. Everyone was polite, but there was not much "welcoming warmth". No one seemed to go beyond their job description if that makes sense. There were always two or three people at the front desk, but they never looked up and spoke unless you were standing right in front of them and they had no choice. We have stayed in too many hotel where a smile and a "good afternoon/evening, how was you day, etc" greets you and we received none of that.I

Maybe we hit them on an off few days. It is nice to stay in a newly redone hotel, but I don't think I would stay here again. There are too many options in Chicago and I prefer the Michigan area for my needs-shopping! If someone wanted to stay in this area and they got a good rate, I would say give it a try, mainly because it is a newer facility.

I chose 4 star rather than 3 to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I do think some things need to be addressed if theWit wants to remain a 4 or 5 star hotel

I

Columbus, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

I stay here nearly overtime I go to chicago...if I am on a business trip and have to stay more than three days this is where I go. The staff is always accommodating, the rooms are always clean and I can always find sanctuary at the Spa at theWit!! The treatments are catered to your needs and you leave feeling decadent every single time! The location is top notch too and if you need anything the concierge service is quick on the draw...they are also great about being up to speed on any new little hotspots around town or to let you know where to go if you just want to grab a late night nosh...will be back soon!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
PFamilyMiami, General Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, December 3, 2011
We are so pleased to already be counted as "an old faithful" friend in just over two years of operation at theWit. Our team feels as excited welcoming back repeat guests & friends as we do welcoming new visitors.

Looking ahead to 2012, guests will not only experience theWit as you know it, but look for some additional changes and enhancements to in-room services, State and Lake Chicago Tavern on our lobby level and ROOF at the top. You'll be impressed with what you may find.

Thank you for your loyalty, repeat business and critiques that keep coming through.

-Mark Shouger
caracas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

I had been in great hotels in Chicago and around the world,
THIS BED WAS EXCELLENT, I had like 8 pillows to choose from
at the end used all of them
nice view from the city , the lake
it is not in the michigan, just 3 blocks from there, but it is nice, also have a nice bagels place and restaurants in the lobby, free wifi in the lobby
they give you a fresh baked cookie upon arrival

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
GeneralManager201, Guest Relations Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, January 21, 2015
Dear turistadeccs,

Thank you for sharing your experience at theWit Hotel! We hope to see you back soon. Have a marvelous afternoon!

At your Service,

theWit Guest Relations Team
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

I work as a Front Office Supervisor at an unaffiliated major-brand hotel property near Philadelphia. As such, my standards for guest service and quality are probably higher than many other people who do not work in hospitality. My stay at this hotel over Thanksgiving 2011 was nothing short of ideal. Every member of the front desk staff, rooftop bar, and restaurant were completely outstanding and friendly, as well as the staff flagging taxis and greeting guests out front who were all very pleasant and friendly. Alex Savory, Michelle, and Andrea at the front desk; as well as Beatrice in the rooftop bar were all exceptional and deserve to be recognized for making the trip particularly memorable.
For my family (there were ten of us ranging in age from 4 months to 60yrs) the service and accomodation made everything extremely easy. The restaurant had no problem accomodating our group, which was somewhat "special needs" with a 4-month old baby, and his 2 year old sister. There was never a wait for any of our groups many requests. Sherri and Matthew, as well as a man with dark hair in a suit who was probably the restaurant manager were particularly attentive, patient, and responsive (as well as good with the children).
The decor of the hotel is very hip and vibrant. The rooftop bar was especially fun, has great views of Chigao, fantastic drinks (I'd reccomend the CG2-a cucumber mojito) as well as a very fun atmosphere with glass fire pits and outside roofdecks with plasma televisions that is probably great during warmer weather.
The room should also not be overlooked as it was very comfortable with impressive views. The suite I stayed in was particularly clean and well appointed. My only complaint is with the design of the bathroom doors, which as far as I can tell do not lock? The door is also on a slider, which is a nice concept. The handle on my bathroom door was a bit loose, and the door in my uncle's room was slightly off of its track, but neither of these very minor issues were reported to any staff. If they had been I am sure that the issues would have been promptly fixed. Lastly, the location could not be more ideal as it is literally steps from the El, and a very short walk to Millenium Park. The staff and GM of this property clearly have the right idea of how hopitality should be done. Bravo!

Room Tip: Corner rooms lake side have incredible views.
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

This hotel is in a great location for exploring downtown Chicago. As a woman, I felt very safe staying here and walking around the neighborhood. We went in November on a "girls weekend" to see the lighting of Michigan Avenue and participate in the festivities. The bed was extremely comfortable and there was plenty of hot water and water pressure. The decor is on the masculine side - which made it feel rather "cold" to me, and it was all very modern. I do wonder about the artwork in the bathroom that was a replica of a cover of Esquire magazine. All that aside, it was an okay place to stay - but for a Doubletree, I was surprised that there were no bathrobes in the room, no turn-down service, etc. Perhaps I was considered a "sub customer" due to the fact that I booked my room through a popular on-line travel service? Even the cookie that I was offered at check-in was not warmed. Come on, Doubletree - I know you can do better than this. I've stayed at other Doubletrees that offered all the above and more.

Would I stay here again? Probably not - there are too many other choices in downtown Chicago that would probably be a bit more attentive to me as a customer, even on a busy weekend. But, it's not a horrible place to stay, either. I came away from this trip feeling just "meh" about this hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
We are excited about all of the holiday visitors starting with The Lights Festival on Michigan Avenue and Lightscape on State Street this year which both just took place.

Our goal is to always offer an extraordinary experience for leisure, business and group guests alike.

All future guests- please note- that complimentary turndown service and use of in-house WIT Guest Robes are available for guests upon request, at any time. Some of our suite accommodations receive these automatically.

The cookie is always available, and should always be warm- we'll look into that one right away.

Our team lives by a "Whatever It Takes" philosophy, and we look forward to taking care of new and repeat guests throughout this and all seasons of the year.

Thank you for all great feedback.

-Mark Shouger
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

Anytime that we plan to stay in Chicago, it will be at the Wit. Excellent location, cleanliness, extremely friendly and helpful staff make this hotel a perfect choice.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Been to theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton? Share your experiences!