“Lively and fun!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton

You added theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton to your Saves list
theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   201 N. State Street, Chicago, IL 60601 (Downtown / The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Intimate Escape Special
Ranked #40 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York, New York
“Lively and fun!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

This hotel is located in a safe, wonderful area. I have stayed here 6 times this last year and will continue to go back. Clean, well maintained property. Employees seem to love their property.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
PFamilyMiami, General Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, November 21, 2011
Thank you for the responses that keep being posted whether by business, group or leisure travelers. We are appreciative of the kind words, and we certainly share each posting with all team members.

We look forward to hosting travlers all the way through the holiday season, and as we all begin a great new year.

Mark Shouger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Rochester, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

We have stayed at a large majority of the Hilton brand hotels in downtown Chicago. The Wit has, by far, the friendliest and most attentive staff of any hotel. The rooms are clean and innovative, the restaurant stylish and delicious, (although the music is a bit loud), and the valet service was speedy and professional. Each night we received a gift as part of the turn down service and our room was spotless. Wonderful experience!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
GeneralManager201, Guest Relations Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, January 21, 2015
Dear Susan D,

Thank you for sharing your experience at theWit Hotel! We hope to see you back soon. Have a marvelous afternoon!

At your Service,

theWit Guest Relations Team
Walnut Creek, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

TheWit is not your typical Doubletree--it is a stylish, modern, boutique hotel that happens to be part of the Doubletree chain. Overall, I was impressed with the hotel. The service was very good from check-in until check-out with only two minor issues. First, I had two FedEx packaged delviered to the hotel from my office and it was not until I went down to the concierge desk to pick them up that I was able to get there. While not a big deal, had I not known these packages were coming, I am not sure if and when I would have received them. As it turns out, when I asked for them they were delivered right away and so it is not that big deal. The second concern is the high price of the internet. The hotel offers three pricing tiers based on how much bandwidth you intend to use-the rates start at $10/day and go up to about $20/day. Hotels of this quality and costing in excess of $300/night should include free WiFi service--TheWit is certainly not alone in chargiung for WiFi service but I hope all hotels will realize that that this should be included. Another minor irritation was the fact that room service stops at 6:30 in the evening for everything but omlettes and eggs. While the hotel has a few restaurants, it would be nice to have a room service option for those who do not want to eat in the restaurant--especially since there are not too many casual choices in the immediate neighborhood. These quibbles did not detract from the fact that everyone I encountered was very friendly and professional. The staff are clearly well trained and take pride in their hotel and the service they provide. The room itself is quite large and is very comfortable. The room had a full sofa, desk, king bed, and a large tv with very nice views down State St. The bathroom was very nice with Gilchrist & Soames toiletries, nice robes, decent towels and very good water pressure--again, not your typical Doubletree. The location of the hotel is good if you have plans to be in the Loop or plan to spend time in Millenium Park. If your goal is to shop and dine, I think there are better located hotels north of the river. Overall, however, I was very impressed with TheWit and enjoyed my stay. I should add that there is a very popular rooftop bar at the hotel which residents have priority access to which is a nice touch.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

The hotel is in a great location...you are right in downtown Chicago, a.k.a. the "Loop". The staff is friendly, yet they miss too many marks when it comes to paying attention to details and/or the lack of service awareness towards the guest. We found interruptions by maids as soon as we checked into our room, but I think this is how the protocol is with this kind of hotel. Their version of knock on the door routine is very poor as they practically walked into our room not once but twice, unanswered! We also had someone scratching at our door early in the morning, but it definitely wasn't preventive maintenance as a "No" sign was outside our door alerting them to keep quite. Again, the "No" sign is the hotel's version of "Do Not Disturb". Funny! Room service is prompt, yet missing silverware items for appropriate food groups was common. The restaurant had descent food, the server was friendly and knowledgeable, yet dirty silverware was obvious. As for the 27th Floor Rooftop, the bartenders would handle and give you the incorrect money back and some went as far as keeping your change. The dropping of the hotel room charge(s) underneath the door of our room at around 4am and a knock on our door was totally inappropriate and inconsiderate as well. As good as the valet was in getting your car they were not as good as giving you your keys back! All of this for 2 small complimentary waters I would rather they take a little bit more pride in their job, but I imagine this would have to start with the people at the top who dismiss teaching their staff a certain level of attentive service. I don't want to come off too harsh, but I feel these are positive criticisms that can help.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

Excellent location, wonderful accommodations, very helpful staff.

venezia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

very nice hotel, with super large room, the suite 2506 was with a super view.
the hotel is very new and confortable, but as in a lot of other place in Chicago the noise of the "L" can disturb your dreams...
the bathroom was very large. also the bed was very confortable.
on the Roof there is a very nice bar, with also party on friday.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

This is the first time I've stayed at the WIT and I can't wait to stay here again. The check in/check out process if very smooth and the staff couldn't be nicer. I stay in a lot of hotels and usually the service is spotty, if not lame. I utilized the front desk, both restaurants, valet and the gym/spa and can't fault much about the place. The rooms are spacious and modernly decorated. The tub is huge! The only thing I didn't like was my shower head kept slipping down (it detached) and I had to do a hand held shower vs. the regular kind. Not a big deal and I was too busy to call maintenance. Breakfast in the main dining room each day was quick and delicious. Prices were extremely reasonable for hotel food.
The roof top bar was great. We got lucky and sat by the fire, ordered 3 apps and cocktails. The London Lemonade was killer! Service there was a bit slow, but they were super slammed and I don't fault anyone except management for under staffing.
When my key cards kept failing (my fault for putting it by my cell), the replaced, no problem.
My room was very clean, very very quiet and perfect for me. If you have ATT for phone, you won't get great service. I think the WIFI prices are a bit steep - but whatever. I'd definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Get the corners - best view!