“Great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton

You added theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton to your Saves list
theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   201 N. State Street, Chicago, IL 60601 (Downtown / The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Intimate Escape Special
Ranked #40 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Alexandria, Virginia
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

We stayed at TheWit over labor day weekend for a wedding - so do note that we paid a group rate which is who-knows-how-much-less than a normal rate.

The location of this hotel is superb. Really easy to get everywhere, L stations nearby, you can walk practically anywhere. The service was also quite good - we arrived super early (around 10:30am) expecting to be told we needed to just leave our bags and check in later. Nope, got checked right in, given delicious cookies, and brought up to our room. The room was great - comfy bed, everything you need. The only thing lacking was a fan/vent in the bathroom so it got quite steamy when you showered. The concierge was also very helpful - gave us quick and easy directions to Wrigley Field.

For anyone doing their wedding here, thought I'd briefly mention my experience with this hotel as a guest at the wedding. We were told that the wedding cocktail hour would be on the roof - and based on the website, that seemed really exciting. Unfortunately, it was only a partial section of the roof and it was indoors, which I thought was somewhat disappointing. It was also much too loud and too crowded. The rest of the wedding - ceremony and reception in one of the ballrooms - was great, we had a blast.

The crowds going up to the Roof in the evenings were a bit of a turn-off. Really scene-y and totally not where I'd want to hang out. But you only really interact with them in the lobby and potentially the elevator. I just ignored them and was fine. We specifically asked for a floor away from the roof - we preferred to risk train noise (of which we heard nothing) to bar/party noise. I'd definitely stay here again. It's hip, great location, good amenities and great service.

Room Tip: Definitely ask/mention noise when you check in so they know if you're concerned about it. They w...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
Billings, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

This hotel is hip and beautiful in the heart of downtown Chicago. Service was amazing. My wife and I were there for our 10th anniversary and were treated amazingly. Champagne and strawberries were waiting for us in an absolutely beautiful room on the 24th floor. Incredible hotel.

California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

My husband and I spent three nights at theWit. The hotel itself is very modern and upbeat. The rooms were nice, very comfortable bed and nicely appointed. Given how nice and hip the hotel is, their on-site restaurant needs friendlier bartenders, an expanded menu and a much better wine list--especially for wines by the glass. Now, their rooftop bar, ROOF, was amazing! Full of fun, excitement, energy and absolutely fantastic bartenders--especially Matt. And, let's not forget the hotel staff...great people! Whenever we're in Chicago again, whether it be for business or pleasure, we'll definitely stay at theWit! Great place, perfect location!

Room Tip: All rooms are good rooms!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager201, Guest Relations Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, January 21, 2015
Dear GinnyAlamo,

Thank you for sharing your experience at theWit Hotel! We hope to see you back soon. Have a marvelous afternoon!

At your Service,

theWit Guest Relations Team
Batavia, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

While in town for a weekend wedding at Navy Pier we enjoyed our stay at theWit. Was very surprised at check in when asked how many chocolate chip cookies we'd like - yum-o they were delicious! The rooftop bar was fun, but glad we went early when the crowd was more our age. Fun seeing the younger generation waiting to get up to the bar as the evening went on. The beds are so comfy. We walked to Navy Pier, walked to dinner Friday night at q, and thought the location was perfect for where we needed to go.

Room Tip: Room 1405 - the view was a little disappointing, but we could have upgraded when I booked it online...
Niagara Falls, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

I have to say that I am very surprised by any negative reviews of this hotel. Everyone, and I mean everyone, that we encountered here were friendly and professional. We arrived many hours before check in and both rooms I had booked were ready. I think it was Alex who checked us in? He was very nice and had us checked in quickly. I asked about fridges and they were sent right up after we got to our rooms. We were given rooms on the 15th floor facing State St. The rooms are a good size and updated. I love modern decor so the bathrooms made me especially happy, the trough sink and glass shower I would put in my house if I had the space.... the amenities are also very nice. There was no bathtub which I thought would bug me but the shower was so nice I didn't even notice....
We headed out for brunch and to explore a bit and when we returned to relax for a while the onslaught of sirens from the nearby fire station began... this may not be an issue at all for many people but I am a light sleeper in hotels. I always sleep with earplugs when I travel anyway but this was clearly not going to help. I had been worried about the trains below being noisy but they were not even remotely an issue. They sound like a gust of wind when they go by. I went down to front desk to ask about wifi and things to do in the area and in the course of conversation I mentioned to Brittany my concerns about the sirens... She was extremely helpful with all of my questions and when I mentioned the siren noise she immediately offered to move our rooms. I was so grateful to be dealing with someone who obviously cares about customer service. I thought I might just see how the first night went, but she said that the hotel was sold out the next night and they would not have rooms available to move the next day. We ended up moving rooms to the 17th floor on the back of the hotel and had a view of some of the beautiful Chicago architecture. I slept like a baby every night.... the beds are soooo comfy!!!
Some observations... I know everyone complains about not having free wifi here, but most people have phones nowadays that have wifi built in so just use it in the lobby where it is free. Or go to the business center where you get the first ten minutes free. Really, how much time do you need on a computer when you are on vacation? And if you are on business does your company not pay for you? Another complaint everyone has is how busy it is because of the rooftop bar. The only night I even noticed anything was the Wednesday there were people lined up outside to go up. But inside they had a separate elevator designated to go straight up to the roof so it didn’t even affect us. We had to laugh at all the “cool” people… Been a long time since I have seen a man in a tight blazer with no shirt underneath lol!!!
The Wit is in a fantastic location, we walked or jumped on the subway to get everywhere we wanted to go. Tons of shopping, dining, and the riverfront are steps away. The only problem I had was the sirens and this is not the fault of the hotel, nonetheless, they rectified this immediately for me. I was very happy with this hotel, the staff, service, and location, and will definitely recommend to others and return one day myself.

Room Tip: rooms at the back are quieter
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
PFamilyMiami, General Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, October 3, 2011
Thanks for the detailed responses. We have taken the opportunity to share all comments, and certainly to recognize the star team members who have been highlighted for excellence in service- not that we are shocked (as we get calls frequently that rave about the caring team).

We are appreciative of all business and feedback.

Thank you.

-Mark Shouger
Wilmington, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

We prefer funky hotels to mainstream mega-chains. Granted, the Wit is Hilton's cousin, but it distances itself enough from conventional lodging to warrant the "funky" designation.
Location: Tough to beat.
Lobby: Funky enough...(small, hip, very courteous doormen)
Receptionists: Professional but in no way "warm" or terribly welcoming. (Then again, we're southerners and probably harbor a "folksy" bias.
Room: We stayed in a KiNG Jr and it was frankly more room than we needed. (Probably should've just reserved a normal King.) Clean, nice view, large sitting area, quiet...very nice amenities.
Bathroom: Large, contemporary, shower and tub. Some have complained about the sink being too shallow, but it would only be an issue if you had to clean it every day...and that's what housekeeping is for.
Concierge: Excellent
The ROOF: Pretty damn cool. Can be difficult snaring your initial drink, but once you're served, you're not forgotten. Food is upscale bar food...also excellent. Place rocks pretty hard, loud and late...but we were only 3 floors down and had no qualms with the low rumble.
State/Lake: We only ordered aptzers at this restaurant.
As stated, bellmen/doormen were professional, friendly...taxis are always nearby.

Overall...a buzzing little hotel in a terrific location. I knocked it down a notch only because its check-in staff could use a shot of Cortisone in the personality department AND this place is a tad pricey for its offerings. Nonetheless... we were thoroughly pleased to find it well-maintained and managed.

Arlington, VIrginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

Lcoated in the north end of The Loop, The Wit has a great location, walkable to most of Chicago's star attractions and close to the center of the transit lines.

It is a "trendy" hotel with contemporary artwork. Staff is very friendly and accommodating.

The modern-designed rooms are very comfortable with great reading lights by the bed. There are several pillows with varying degrees of softness to guarantee a good night's rest. And, the windows open so you can have fresh air. That's good because the air conditioning was quite noisy and we could never seem to get it to work adequately. The only downside of opening the windows: street noise. (We were on the 10th floor.) Also, there is only one large chair for sitting. If there are two of you, the other person has to use the desk chair or sit on the bed. There are no closets here - just large armoires.

While the rooms were clean, we had some issues, such as the shower head wasn't stable and flopped over, It was fixed quickly, but it isn't something you want to find out as you step into the shower. The bathroom sinks are large shallow squares with the faucet against the wall. If you're short, it 's an awkward reach. However, there is more than adequate space for toiletries. One niggle: the shower amenities kept falling through the grates of the holders in the shower.

The bathrooms are good but I wouldn't call them "luxurious".

For some reason, the maid never changed our drinking glasses. Despite leaving it out, clearly used, it remained in the same spot for four days.

There is a charge for wi-fi, but there are so many Starbucks and other places nearby, you can go cybersquat on the sidewalk. And don't open the refrigerator. It has a sensor on it that will charge you if you open it and take out something just to look at it. Moreover, there seems to be a $25 "restocking" charge, which I find objectionable since the mark-up on the whatever isin the fridge is probably adequate to cover the cost.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton? Share your experiences!