“Pick the Wit” 4 of 5 stars
Review of theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton

You added theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton to your Saves list
theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   201 N. State Street, Chicago, IL 60601 (Downtown / The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Intimate Escape Special
Ranked #41 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Edwardsville, Il.
“Pick the Wit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

My spouse and I recently spent three nights at the Wit (Sun-Wed). We had nothing but a great experience. (It does sound like the rooftop bar crowds on weekends can present a challenge for hotel guests.) Check in at the reception desk was smooth and friendly. The hotel has a nice boutique feel about it. The rooms are nicely appointed and have a great shower. The only downside of our stay was the room charge for the internet service. (I believe that free WiFi is available in the lobby area.) If you plan on using the "L" to get around, it would hard to find a better location than this. boarding points for all the lines, expect for the blue line are right out the door. The blue line is thee short block away. The location of the hotel allows for great walking access to downtown and the Miracle Mile on Michigan Avenue.We did not have a whole lot of interaction with the staff, but they were quite friendly and competent. During our next stay in Chicago we will certainly explore the possibility of returning to this great property.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

I recently planned a girls trip in Chicago and was so excited about staying at the Wit, unfortunately, it did not live up to expectations. My check in welcoming was less than gracious, I had to pay to get to the roof top bar, my room was not cleaned on Saturday afternoon, my wake up call never called and they charged the room to the wrong credit card.

All in all it was a really bad experience which was really disappointing after all the work I had put into planning the trip. If you're looking for a fun and FRIENDLY environment, look else where! The Wit is not the place to stay, it was definitely not worth the money at all.

In addition, the staff seemed to go out of their way to treat me and my friends like second class citizens. Very bad experience at the Wit all together.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
PFamilyMiami, General Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, August 2, 2011
Wow. A perplexing review to say the least. Please feel free to reach out to me directly via contact information at our home web site for specifics. These comments are certainly not reflective of what most guests report regarding our staff and overall experience- in fact, quite the opposite.

Hotel guests are not charged to access ROOF at any time, and priority for all of the hotel amenities is provided to overnight hotel guests. So, again, this is shocking commentary.

We do review and assess all comments with our team, and will do so in this case as well to ascertain what rviewer may be referencing in these claims.

Thanks, as always for all feedback.

-Mark Shouger
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

The location of this hotel is great walking diastance to everything worth seeing and the train directly to O'Hare airport. Nice rooms and friendly staff. My only issue with this hotel is on thursday,Friday & Saturday nights they have a night club on the 25th floor and preference to the lifts are given to the non guests going up to the club. I along with other guest waiting to get back up to their rooms had to 10 mins before I questioned the priority with the security. The other was being stopped each time I re-entered the hotel as security were preoccupied with stopping persons from entering the the hotel via the wrong entrance for the club. Would I stay there again yes probably.

• Stayed July 2011
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

I traveled to chicago last week for business and decided to invite my husband and 8 year old son to join me for a long weekend. I found TheWit hotel on TripAdvisor and decided to stay there because of location and pricing, particularly for the weekend nights. I was fortunate enough to get a king spa room for my 1 night on business and the manager was nice enough to let me stay in the same beautiful corner room (at a lower price) through the weekend with my family (despite being sold-out). A+ customer service there. I'm not sure how many rooms the hotel has, but the lobby seems quite small to support that number. It's very crowded most of the time, there's no self-parking so vehicle and taxi drop-offs cause traffic jams, valet lines are long, and the Rooftop bar brings the public through the lobby and up the guest elevators, and it just seems a bit too open to the public. I will note, however, that hotel security personnel were ample, present, active and helpful. Would definitely consider returning for an adults-only stay, but would think twice before taking kids again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

Stayed here with friends for my bachelorette party...its in such a fabulous part of the city, we figured The Wit would be our perfect homebase-we were wrong! The staff was not helpful from the moment we arrived. Security came to our room at 3am-4 large men...not necessary!- we were not even disturbing any of the other guests because we talked to every one of our surrounding neighbors the next day. The rooms were small and our showerhead was broken. To top it all off, they charged a credit card they SPECIFICALLY were told was just being used to hold the room. The only thing The Wit has going for them is the location. If you're looking for a fun and fabulous place to stay in this area, DO NOT STAY at the Wit! They are NOT fun and fabulous!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
MShouger, General Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, July 31, 2011
All feedback is great feedback. This specific review is perplexing, though, as visits to guest rooms and suites by our management or security teams as described are based on other guest calls by those whom voice concerns over disruptions from noise- or the personal observations while in guest corridors. Small private gatherings and suite visits are certainly not otherwise interrupted.

As our web site shares, we offer a variety of room and suite types to accommodate guest desires of just about any kind. In fact, the variety of room types and sizes as a percentage if overall rooms is higher than any other Chicago hotel.

As always, our team strives to offer comfortable, enjoyable and memorable experiences for all that visit.

We are certainly dismayed at anything less.

Thank you, again, for continued feedback.

-Mark Shouger
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

This is an amazing hotel...so stylish, so beautiful. The decor is modern, clean, comfortable. The soft sound of birds (day) or crickets (night) chirping in the hallways creates great ambience. The rooms are spacious; we had 4 people staying in a room with 2 queen beds and there was still plenty of room for suitcases on the floor. The rooftop bar provides incredible views of the city. Drinks are pricey, but you kind of expect that for the location. Upon arrival I forgot my cell phone in my car just after the valet had parked it. He was so kind and didn't hesitate to run to the ramp/lot to retrieve it for me. Great service. Breakfast in StateLake restaurant was delicious. Too bad Cibomatto was closed on Sunday night or we would have dined there. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Dayton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

The staff was spectacular, the view from my room on the 24th floor was breath-taking, and the location was perfect for a long weekend in Chicago! Upgraded to a junior suite, and it was absolutely wonderful to have a galley kitchen, lounge area and spa-style bathroom. But my favorite feature, by far, was the floor to ceiling windows, overlooking State Street.

The restaurant (State and Lake) was fine for breakfast - but with typical hotel restaurant pricing, there are better food values to be had just steps from the front door. Rooftop bar? Great view, friendly staff - and requisite over-priced drinks. Did the Sunday brunch on the rooftop upon arrival, while waiting for my room to be prepared, and was a little underwhelmed...

Did i mention the great view?

Parking on-site = vehicular rape. $46/day. But there seem to be no other reasonably priced options, so this is likely the going rate for parking in the neighborhood. Transportation options abound! Park outside the city and take the train!

Convenient bus stops just outside the hotel take you to all the museums - again, no need to have a car! The Blue line train is two blocks away (Clark/Lake) and can get you to/from O'Hare Airport for $2.25! A taxi will cost you $45!

Had a blast! Will stay there again!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Been to theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton? Share your experiences!