“Not here” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Milshire Hotel

Milshire Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chicago
Prices are for rooms, adults
Ranked #144 of 169 Hotels in Chicago
chicago
“Not here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2008

This place looks more like a brothel than a hotel. The "receptionist" has to see every person who is going to stay before give you the key. Once you get to the room is like a puzzle to open the door. Then the room is disgusting, you'll see the rep carpet with thousands of spots, I didn't even use the bathroom afraid I would get "something". You could hear everything that was going on outside. We were out of there in three hours. We drove another 40 minutes up north and stay in a better place in the suburbs for the same price.

Stayed April 2008

Families
Business
joshparris
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2007

I travel a lot and stay in some pretty shady places but this one took the cake. Cockroaches everywhere, smells nasty, Mrs Roper receptionist, doubles as brothel, dirtiest hotel I have every seen, broken doors, old food that looked like a mix of cigarette butts and corn in the plant in front of our door, fat shirtless white trash guy maintenance man with a knife on his belt, no towel or soap in bathroom, brown bloodstained shower. The guy who showed us our room asked if we were having a "party"

We checked out quicker than it took for us to check in and they wouldn't give us our money back until the boss showed up the next day so we had to take a special cab ride back to the place. We explained to the local Cab driver that we refused to stay there because we didn't want to wake up to someone with a knife over our bed. The cab driver said..."if you stay there, you're lucky if you even wake up at all.

Don't stay here.

• Liked — It was funny how bad it was. You couldn't help but laugh.
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2007

This place does seem older but it has charcter like the Chelsea without all the famous guests. Being a tourist I did feel uncomfortable sleeping and I didn't like leaving the key at the desk when we left.. We were attending a concert at the Double Door.

• Liked — It's Character of being part of the city, street life.
  • Disliked — Unsure about safety.
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
orange
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2006

When we got there, we had to choose a room with a "private bath". The receptionist is hidden behind a glass wall, the announcements on the walls are written with a pen and she has to buzz you in to get into the hotel lobby.
The place smells bad, the elevator is probably the original (1930's?).When we got to the room it took us 5 minutes to open the two locks. When we removed the cover sheet, the linens were yellow and I mean spotted yellow. When I looked in a tray, on the dresser, which had our toilet paper, a couple of cockroaches where running around in circles.. When I opened the blinds, which were dusty, I couldn't see much outside because of the dust and mud that covered the windows. And also the windows are "beautifully"arranged with some blue duct tape.
Now the bathroom. Full of cockroaches, the shower is dripping and you cannot lock the bathroom window which overlooks a scary backyard. We stayed 5 minutes in the room and we took off checking out but not before noticing the red carpet with an inch of dust and some announcements that were letting you know not to run in the hallways or "no going in other people's rooms"!!!
I encourage you to take a look at the rooms first and ignore the other preview

• Liked — the refrigerator
  • Disliked — spotted yellow sheets and cockroaches
  • Tips/Secrets — ask to see the room first, if they refuse go to another place.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2006

My friend and I decided to stay here for one night to attend a concert at the Congress Theatre ($48/nite). The neighborhood is kind of rundown until you turn the corner and there are these lush, posh areas. The location was convenient, access to the busline and within 15 min walking distance to where we wanted to go. There were restaurants nearby, but we did not choose to eat anywhere nearby. Safety at night may be an issue.
The onsite people were very nice and hospitable. The room we stayed in was tiny, but sufficient for our needs. Bathroom had baby cockroaches (didn't bother us as long as long as they weren't bothering us). We brought our own sheets and blankets (which I think should be a must if you or your traveling buddy is a neat, sanitation freak). Rooms were equipped with a fridge and tv. Noise from the outside is loudly audible. While I slept through the night after the concert, my friend could not deal with the upstairs neighbors yelling out the window from 3-4 AM, the screeching cars, the police sirens, and the ongoing car alarms. I vaguely remember it, thinking it was part of my dream.
There is metered parking in front of the hotel and after 6pm there is free parking around the corner.
Overall, ok experience, but probably wouldn't stay there again unless it was very necessary.

• Stayed May 2006
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Milshire Hotel? Share your experiences!