“Cheap and convenient - - and surprisingly nice” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Heart O' Chicago Motel to your Saves list
Ranked #118 of 169 Hotels in Chicago
West Hartford, Ct
“Cheap and convenient - - and surprisingly nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We were going to see the Neo-Futurists on North Ashland, and wanted a nearby motel so we wouldn't have to drive far late at night. Found Heart O' Chicago and decided to try it based on good reviews. It's a motel from the 1960's with no updates but very clean and inviting. The bathroom has vintage fixtures and hardware, a little trip to Mad Men there! The main room itself had paneling which had been painted over and had a sponge effect applied -- nice, clean and surprisingly attractive. Our room was quiet despite being at the intersection on two main thoroughfares. Free wi-fi and free parking in their own lot. We were also able to have a nice affordable dinner at a Turkish restaurant about half a mile away. The breakfast buffet was donuts and cereal, nothing special but fine. I would definitely stay here again! However, as others have noted -- bring your own shampoo. There is soap but no shampoo, which luckily I had brought with me.

Room Tip: All rooms face the street -- there is no elevator so if you have problems climbing stairs, ask for a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

This couldn't have been more convenient for us. It's an 'old' motel, but the rooms are very clean and almost vintage....where else can you find a sunny yellow bathroom....? It's on a busy street but we were unaware of any noise, and slept well. Check-in person was a delight; the fellow was friendly and helpful ! The ONLY negative was the 'lack of personality' of the person in the office when we checked out in the morning....but that's not a deal breaker for us staying here again. It's a great bargain and so convenient to restaurants and the bus lines.

Room Tip: If AC /Heat Unit makes noise....turn off the fan. You will still get the comfort without the sound.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Greenville, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

My husband and I have stayed here a few times over the last ten years, most recently in September 2012 to attend a game at Wrigley Field. Accommodations are very basic but clean and comfortable. Free parking is nice and public transportation is easily accessible. No in-room iron or hair dryer or even little bottle of shampoo so be sure you bring it all with you. Breakfast is also basic (muffins, cereal, juice, coffee and tea) and tv channels were somewhat limited. There is a fire station nearby so it can be noisy due to sirens and traffic noise, but it's far from awful. Our only interactions with front desk staff were at check-in and check-out and they were pleasant enough. If you don't plan to spend a lot of time in your room and are primarily interested in a reasonably priced, clean and comfortable place to sleep, give this place a try. The Fireside on Ravenswood is an easy walk from the hotel and open for lunch, dinner, late-night and weekend brunch.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thorold, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I was in chicago to see the White Sox and the Cubs play.
I was a little nervous about this place, but once I checked in and saw my room, it was fine.

The guy that checked us in, was very friendly and funny. Made jokes with us the whole time. When we got to our room it was clean and comfortable. Fluffly pillows. No problems with noise or anything.
The wifi worked fine, and so did the A/C. The only problem we had I believe was the tv, I think we only got like 2 channels. But I was asleep as soon as I got back so I didn't care, and my boyfriend was happy to watch whatever.

The bathroom was pink which I found hilarious. It was this cute little retro motel.
I had no problem getting to US Cellular Field, or Wrigley Field. I drove to both. Very easy to get to with a gps and a nice drive. Chicago is a beautiful city.

Would for sure come back and stay here again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

My family friends and I had the unfortunate opportunity to stay in this hotel. To begin with the first room we were given didn't have air conditioning - it was broken. The next room they gave us the air conditioning wasn't much better. The room was average, but the price and location was good, so we decided to put up with another air conditioning unit that wasn't working. We basically weren't able to sleep because it was so warm in the room and opening the windows gave little relief. My friends came here on my advice and had requested a non smoking unit for health reason. Their room had such a strong stench of smoke and when we went back to the manager, he said , in a very irritated manner, that he could not be responsible for what people do in the room. We also explained that the outlets weren't working in their room, to which he replied, "If you keep bothering me, I will have to ask you to leave." Now I realize the price and location were good, but I don't think that makes up for discourteous behavior. We asked nicely for the problems to be fixed and were made to feel as if we were problem customers. If there weren't any problems, we wouldn't have had to speak to him, but there were. Courteousness and respect is essential to me when I deal with any company. No matter how inexpensive the hotel is, it is not worth putting up with the manager. Heart O' Chicago isn't the only inexpensive and well located hotel in Chicago and I will never stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Hayward, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

If budget is your primary concern, this is the place for you. When in Chicago, I usually stay at Days Inn Chicago on Diversey & Clark (better location than Heart), but they were completely booked. We stayed between July 3 - 10, 2012. Having read several reviews for various places near to Halstead & Clark, I decided to take a chance on Heart. My only regret is the distance factor: you really need to give yourself PLENTY of time (at least a good 45 min) to get to the museums (like Field & Shedd Aquarium) &/or any other main tourist places. Even though the 22 Bus which runs all night long on Clark is reliable daytime, you really need to wait as long as 45 min after midnight. So plan your nightlife activities accordingly. Be prepared to take a good 15 min walk to the "L" (subway) Red Line. I recall the Thornton (sp?) is the closest station, but consult your map/GPS... A HUGE THANK-YOU TO "ZONE" (Yes, that is his name!) for providing coupons, maps, etc. When he ran the front desk, he went out of his way to help us. I didn't have any negative experiences with staff, but I was prepared for poor attitude based on reviews I read. I simply avoided questions on getting around the city (Zone was an exception!) since I assumed that they lack the know-how on informing customers. My son & I first stayed in a room our 1st night on bottom floor near office which had good WiFi and an ok range of channels (including 2 retro stations which played "Night Gallery"--A first for my son!) Zone helped us transition to the top floor in the corner nearest to the office for the remaining 6 nights--we needed two beds. Zone was helpful & honest enough to let us try this corner room to ensure the WiFi would reach that far. WiFi worked great! Only drawback: we lost the 2 retro tv stations! No bother. We stayed!

Room Tip: My son & I first stayed in a room our 1st night on bottom floor near office which had good WiFi...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Hereford, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Stayed here on arrival in Chicago. The place is a little out of town but probably one of the cheapest places you will find. It was decent enough for the money as long as you don't expect luxury, the bed was comfy enough, the bathroom was passable. The electrics were a little bit ropey but I guess they call that 'character'... all in all, if you need a bed for the night on a budget it does a job!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Heart O' Chicago Motel? Share your experiences!