“Absolutely do not stay here under any circumstances!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sheffield House

Sheffield House
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chicago
Sheffield House
You added Sheffield House to your Saves list
3834 N. Sheffield Ave, Chicago, IL 60613 (Wrigleyville)   |
Ranked #151 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Buda, IL
“Absolutely do not stay here under any circumstances!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

We planned our trip up to chicago a month before so we booked the closest hotel near wrigley field for the cubs vs. marlins game, when we got to the hotel the lady had to go clean our room first mind you this was at check in, so it should have been done. we got to the room finally our blankets on the bed were wet only to hope it was from her prolly just febreezing the blankets not washing them and no one pissing on them the night before, i stress that i think these people live there and bunk up when a room needs to be available. also there was no air conditioning which we were told it would have, no phone, no remote, bathroom door would not shut, you chould see it at one time had a air conditioning unit with the brown streaks leading down the window, there wasnt even a damn bible in the night stand! when we opened the drawer to the night stand there was brillo pad stuff that crackheads use in there pipes when we woke up the next morning we had bed bug bites all over us do not stay under any circumstances!

Room Tip: just dont stay here at all! thats my tip...horrible disgusting place!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

Ever seen one of those movies with the flickering bathroom light as the rock bottom heroine addict shoots up one last time before dying with the hose still wrapped around his arm? I think they shoot all those scenes at the Sheffield House. Before booking your room, call your doctor and give him a heads up that you'll be needing a hepatitis screening once you get home.

If you're lucky enough to get sheets on your bed, they will have some combination of holes, stains, and bed bugs.

The shower is either warm with a weak stream or freezing cold with some pressure, take your pick. And bring your own towel.

The outside of the hotel is literally lit up with red lights...never a good sign.

The staff is awful.

Basically, if you value your health, stay anywhere else in the city and pay for the cab ride to Wrigley. It's not worth it even for the low cost.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Telegraph Cove, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011

bath yellow, bath door not shutting, no phone, blinds falling off window, bed made, but underneath stains (fresh) as per the crumbs of food also there, floor dirty, no pictures on wall, smelly, towels folded wet ... agreed to a new room and manager refused ... we left and they did not refund our money at $80 a night ... manager not dressed professionally and scary looking ... and willing to let me and my 68 year old mother leave at 10 pm at night with no other accommodations and kept our money ... elevator permit not posted and elevator not level with floor ... business license not to be found ... scary and disgusting and unclean and didn't care

Room Tip: check for a license and call the city to be safe
Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Demotte, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2011

When I first arrived at the Sheffield House I was in awe of its superb location and it's charming characteristics. I walked in to an extrememly pleasant woman at the front desk. Although she sounded like "Ma" from Ma's Roudhouse, I didn't mind. I found it pleasurable. She escorted me to a lovely little room which I found to be tantalizing and exquisite. Nothing too fancy or over the top, but humble and cozy. The kind of place you would take your streetwalker on a Saturday night. I guess the best word to describe THe Sheffield House is. Eloquence. Plain and Simple. I would recommend this to everyone.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
coralville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2011

This place was horrifying. My girlfriend and I were traveling to chicago on short notice to catch a cubs game. This happened to be the only place that had available space. We struggled to find parking upon our arrival and when we asked the lady at the front desk she said we had to talk to "someone" down the street to get a permit...turns out the "place" we were told to go was an empty building. Not a big deal. When we check in the lady at the front desk shows us to the filthiest room I've ever seen in my life and the A/C didn't work. The lady attempted to plug it in to a different socket to no avail. She actually asked ME to move the dresser to give her access to the socket. Wow. She takes us to a different room...same filth. The bathroom door didn't close all the way, the toilet ran ALL NIGHT, the shower wasn't fit for humans, and the TV remote didn't work, not properly anyway. The entire place smelled of sweat and cigarettes. On the bright side, its close to Wrigley. There...I said something nice. If you must stay in Chicago consider sleeping in your car or the street rather than this place.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

This place is by far the worst place i have ever stayed in my life. I went along with two friends for the cardinals vs cubs game. It was the only place we could get a reservation at since we decided to go up so late and i would have rathered sleep in the car than in this place. Before we go there we called to ask for parking and they said yes comes with the room and we get there and I ask where we are supposed to park she said good luck go find a place. Luckily we found a garage a few blocks away off Addison thanks to another couple. The room was disgusting, right when you walk in it smells like stale cigarettes and mildew. The room consisted of 2 full sized beds one dresser with a old TV that you have to press a bunch of buttons on it to get it to turn on and a bathroom(hardly one) with a old toilet a leaky since and a shower/tub that i would not step foot in if you paid me not even with shoes. the water barely worked at all and it was one of those places you don't take you shoes off. After it rained there were pockets of water in the wales that you could pop and that were running down the walls. the window ac unit was held in by duck tape(ours luckily worked others were not so lucky). The beds were disgusting. the management there was the worst ever they tried to change the price on me which did not happen when i checked in and they screamed at us when 3 friends came to join us in the room because we couldn't have party...It was 6 kids!

The only positives of this horrible place was its location. It was 2-3 blocks (5-10 minute walk) from Wrigley field and wrigleyville. We also discovered the rooftop which was wide open when you just walk up the stair well and it had an amazing view of the stadium and at night was amazing. there was however some evidence of homeless people up there but that didn't bother us were happy to be outside of that smelly place.

i would not recommend this place unless it is life or death

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Paducah, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

Scary. The lady/owner asked my wife when we arrived if she was there to "work". That pretty much summed it all up. Parking and location were great though. If you're a thrill seeker , drug addict or loved the movie "Se7en" then you may enjoy it. Oh, and no phone. I had water for a shower, but my wife was not as furtunate. The back of the medicine cabinet mirror had a person's perscription stickers all over it.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Sheffield House? Share your experiences!