“Tiny room and noisy aircon” 2 of 5 stars

Stay & Bike Package
Ranked #106 of 167 hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Tiny room and noisy aircon”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

We came to Chicago for a weekend getaway - a fantastic city, great architecture and nightlife. The hotel's location is about 5-10 minutes walk from Michagan Avenue and the nearest stations. Check in was fine, and the staff were courteous and professional throughout our stay. The room was on the 7th floor, and was very small - 'couldn't swing a cat' springs to mind. There was barely enough room to walk around the bed, and I don't know why they bothered to put an ironing board in the room as there was hardly enough room to put it up. The bathroom was also very small, but the shower was good. On the plus side, it was clean, and housekeeping was fairly efficient. Two small bottles of still water were placed in the room, priced at $5 each. The aircon unit was noisy and woke me up several times when it turned itself on or off. I cannot recommend this hotel - you can do better.

1,006 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Austin, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

I stayed at the Hotel Felix for 4 nights on a business trip. Its a fairly new and modern hotel which prides itself on being a green establishment. The service was always consistently helpful and nice. The lobby and small bar have a modern look and it always smelled great. The business center is free for guests and has access to a printer and desktops. And, thank God, the WiFi is free for once! The rooms are a nice size and are nicely appointed. The bed was simply awesome with down pillows that are new and firm and not lumpy. The H20 bath products are a nice extra touch. There was no bath tub, only a shower. The closet space is small but there is drawer space under the bed. The housekeeping did an excellent job with the room and it was always spotless. The fitness area was nice as well with weights, treadmills, and ellipticals. I did not eat at the restaurant but there was free coffee there every morning. The website talks about a red carpet conceirge service, but that isn't really the case. I did ask them for advice in finding good broadway tickets while I was there and the response was that they were happy to do a google search for me. I kind of laughed and told them that I could do my own internet search. So, that was a bit funny. They probably shouldn't claim that as a service they offer. But, it was a very nice hotel and I would definitely return.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

First off, after hearing about all the bed-bug issues in hotels and condos, especially nyc, i am a freak about cleanliness and being in a bug free bed. So when i go into any hotel room i strip the bed and search it throughout - in the pillow cases, remove the comforter and sheets, take the mattress off, lift the box spring, check under the bed, behind/around the headboard, check the metal frame, check under any light or picture hanging above the bed, under and behind the night stand, under the phone, light, clock radio, any cracks thicker than a credit card and so on. At the felix, i did this for my room as well as my colleague's room and found both to be, not only bug free, but very clean.

The decor for the lobby and room is modern and welcoming.

The room is a little on the small side but for a shower and sleep it works well. I think anything more than 3 nights and/or with my wife would have been a bit too small. The bathroom sink is way too shallow about 3" deep (from memory) but the shower is nice.

The best part about my deal was the hotel price was comparable to a Courtyard price.
So it worked well price wise.

Oh, and the restaurant in the hotel, killer breakfast. My colleague and i ordered the french toast and steak and eggs. Both were memorable and at iHop prices (not big city restaurant prices) - highly recommend!

In all, i would stay again.

Hope you have the same experience.

niagara
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

I got this Hotel on Priceline. I bid $105/night for Downtown 4*...got Hotel Felix...for 3 nts...with taxes and fees..it came to around $375, I think..this was close to same price advertised on Hotel's website for weekday rates (or Hotel was running special prices??)...so didn't save much with Priceline...

after I won the bid was kinda down as I read about the rooms being very small at Hotel Felix...

after staying there for 3 days...I have to say myself and my GF relly liked the Hotel Felix...we had a corner room...nice view and queen size bed...room is definitely on the small side...would be a real tight squeeze for more than two people to stay in this room...

but bed was great...nice flatscreen TV...nice bathroom...my GF liked the soap /shampoo...said it was very nice...

my GF used the Spa/massage/facial ..she said it was great...again space in Spa is a bit
limited but she said it was really nice and staff were great...bar /lobby is also nice...though again pretty space small area...

ate one morning at Hotel Rest (Elate)...had breakfast...we both thought food was excellent...fresh...nice presentation...decent service...though a bit pricey...for two...$40-45

front door guys/valet at Felix were so helpful...they recommended places to eat/site seeing...very helpful...really liked that...

BTW...I won a bid for another single nite during the same Chicago stay (bid 105 again for 4*) and got the Hilton Palmer House on Monroe...they gave us one double bed...which I know technically they can do (as that is all Priceline gaurantees)...good thing myself and my GF are not too big...this Hilton room had no view and room was smaller than Hotel Felix...some wallpaper in room was peeling...bathroom ceiling was in primer...some rust on shower head...very old TV...bed pillows were bad....checkout was 11am...was not too impressed...was thinking how good Hotel Felix was compared to what Hilton gave us...
though Palmer House does offer great location...Hotel Building itself is kinda neat..nice lobby...when at Hilton..it felt like we were on an assembly line...missed the personal touch of the Hotel Felix...

Anyway, I would give the Hotel Felix a 9/10...highly recommend...

Note, if travelling with more than two people..I would be wary of using Priceline if bidding on a 4* Hotel in Downtown Chicago... as I was saying, Hotel Felix would be a real tight squeeze for more than two people to stay in a queen size bed room...and if u won Hilton Palmer House and they gave u one double bed...things could be pretty bad...

Montgomery, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

Good location. Very safe area. The hotel met our expectations. It was very clean and the staff was helpful. Free wireless internet, where other hotels charged. The self parking was right across the street, which we used instead of valet. We will stay there again if the price is right!

Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

I booked this room through Priceline which I have used successfully in the past. I will never stay at the Felix Hotel again and I will never use Priceline again for fear of booking a hotel as bad as the Felix. The rooms are so small that within minutes of walking into the room I got a headache, my heart started racing, and I felt dizzy. I am not claustrophobic but this room is just uncomfortably small. We were given a room with what the hotel calls a queen size bed. When we questioned the staff about the size of the bed they admitted that it is a "European" queen. The bed that they call a queen is smaller than a full size bed. There is no tub just a shower. I am not sure how they can rate this a 4 star hotel. We are going to find somewhere else to stay for the night. What a waste!

Grapevine, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

Stayed here this past week for business and stayed the weekend for personal. Booked through Hotline - ok rate - however not what I would consider a 4 star. I have stayed in several hotels in downtown Chicago and rooms much bigger same or lower rate. Room so small if another person was traveling with me would be annoying how we would be tripping over each other. No in room coffee maker, front desk told me due to it saves energy. Really a 2 cup coffee maker! When I had to run the water for several minutes before it got warm for a shower. Complimentary coffee and tea in lobby - when you are trying to get ready for business and head out the door - no time. Air conditioner worked great - however unlike other reviews - was so quiet I wasn't sure it was working.
Bed very comfortable. While I understand you don't spend a lot of time in your room - you at least need room to walk around in.
To my co-workers I called it the 'Ikea Dorm Room Display"

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Felix? Share your experiences!