“This is NOT a 4 star hotel by any stretch of the imagination and is at most a 2 1/2 star hotel.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Felix

You added Hotel Felix to your Saves list
Hotel Felix
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   111 W. Huron St., Chicago, IL 60654   |
Ranked #114 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
overland park, ks.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

This hotel calls themselves a "boutique" hotel. That translates to extremely tiny rooms. The closet consists of a very short rod that can be covered by a curtain. The bed takes up 3/4 of the room and navigating around the bed is very difficult, especially in the dark. You can hear everything coming from the hallway. The bathroom sink barely holds any water and if your hands are normal to large, they won't fit beneath the faucet.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
EH, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2009

booked through hotwire and stayed for 1 night. nice & friendly staff. eclectic style hotel. stayed on the 10th floor. indeed, the room was small (but big window). good for 1 or 2 person. bed was really comfy. clean room. limited space for luggage. nice flat screen tv. bathroom was nice & clean. behind the bathroom door was a hanger that has a note & said something like this, "enjoy our complimentary robe...." - but there was no robe.

overall, i like the hotel. just the rooms were small, even the hallway was a bit narrow. i guess its their way of going green. if you're a big person, you probably would not like the room. hotel is about 5-6 blocks away from the mile. valet parking overnight was about $42, across the street was $33, & the parking garage was $23.

Uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

I booked Hotel Felix through Expedia at a reduced rate (approx £75 per night) which seemed like a fair rate for what I got. Breakfast wasn't included but the hotel is in a fantastic location. The rooms are small, but as a solo traveller this didn't really matter to me.

Felix is just a few blocks away from Michigan Avenue, and walking distance to many sights - John Hancock Centre, Water Tower, Sears Tower etc etc. I even walked back late at night one evening on my own and the neighbourhood seemed pretty safe.

Staff were helpful, particularly the front desk who gave me directions and helped me book theatre tickets. Only one small problem when I got there to check in, they gave me a key and when I used it to access 'my' room there was a man's case and clothes in there. Lucky he was not in the room (or the shower) at the time. So I went down and told the front desk, they promptly moved me to a slightly larger room. I was happy with that but later on that evening two guys tried to get into my room. Turned out that they had been given a key for the same room! I was in bed at the time but luckily (thank goodness) I had dead bolted the door. If not, it would have not been a good experience. They had to go down and let Reception know - so I wasn't overly impressed with how the rooms are allocated.

That aside, I really liked the hotel. It's small but very functional and as it's a boutique the rooms are decorated very nicely. It was very comfortable and the location meant that I was right in the heart of the Windy City - perfect for a first-time visitor such as myself. It's a great base for exploring the city, if you're not planning to spend 24/7 in your hotel room then you probably don't need loads of space anyway.

There's actually an Aveda spa on site and although I didn't get time to visit it, this is a nice extra touch if you feel like some pampering.

Not sure that I would pay the full £150 ish a night, but I was happy with what I got for what I paid. I think the hotel will do well and the fact that it's eco-friendly just adds that extra something.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
cardiff
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

After much research, I choose the Felix Hotel in Chicago for a 4 night stay. There are so many places to choose from, I will not make this choice again. The room, although well appointed (especially the lovely bathroom) was TINY. Think queen bed and about 18 inches on either side. We had to ask for much needed luggage racks (three times) as well as an ice bucket. I had a problem with my bill as I checked out - someone was to contact me according to the desk clerk - but there was no manager on call when I had to leave for the airport. It has been 1 week and I have not been contacted. Maybe it takes 3 tries as well.

Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

Had a wonderful weekend at the Felix. All staff we encountered were very pleasant and helpful. Claudia helped with many reservations etc and added a nice touch in the room for a birthday celebration. The hotel is clean, neat, modern and perfectly located. I will definitely return

Thanks everyone!!!

Charles

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

We checked into the Hotel Felix late on Friday night for a four night stay. I had booked the room through Priceline where it was listed as a 4 star hotel, recently renovated. The pictures looked nice so I was excited to go. We arrived late, around 11 pm. We were greeted by the valet/bellman/doorman who helped us unload our luggage and parked our car (valet parking was the only option at more than $40 per night which isn't really unusual in Chicago) Check in went smoothly, but they wanted an additional $35 per night for a king size bed. Seemed a bit pricey so we decided to try the queen room. There was no one to help us up with our bags so we took the luggage cart upstairs ourselves. The elevator was so small it barely fit the cart and and two of us. It should have been a sign.

The hotel was nicely decorated and very clean. We stayed on the 8th floor. When we opened the door to our room, we both almost died of shock. The room was so small I couldn't believe it! My freshman door room 20 years ago was bigger! There was one bed, I am not sure it was even a queen size. No closet, simply a bar sticking out of the wall on which to hang your things. You could pull a curtain over it to close the "closet." There was an in room safe on the shelf in the closet which was a nice feature. There was an iron, but no ironing board. There was no dresser. The bed was a platform bed that had two drawers that pulled out of the foot of the bed. You couldn't open the drawers and walk around the bed at the same time. There was a narrow desk with a very nice flat screen TV above it, but it was to the side of the bed so you either had to lay side ways or not see the TV. There was no place to unpack your luggage or even stow your luggage after you unpack.

The bathroom was nice, but the sink had no vanity space for makeup, etc. The shower was nice and the toiletries were high quality but there was no body lotion, only shampoo, conditioner and body wash.

The hotel had an ice machine and Pepsi machine on each floor which was convenient. The ice bucket had no plastic liner so I had to use the zip lock bag I brought. There were no drinking glasses to use other than two bathroom ceramic glasses, very small in size.

Dont count on any type of view from the room. We looked out onto another buildlng under construction, wrapped in plastic that whipped in the wind.

The bed was a pillow top and very comfortable. However the bedding was a sheet, heavy comforter and another sheet. We melted under the comforter or got cold under just the sheet. The air conditioning was inconsistent. We set it to 67 to try not to sweat through the night, but the fan would turn on and off so we went from hot to cold all night.

The first morning, we had a Do not Disturb sign on the door as we wanted to sleep in. That didn't stop housekeeping from knocking three or four times. When that didn't work, they called us. I sense they may have missed the point of the sign.

We didn't eat in the restaurant as it seemed to have a limited menu. There is a Whole Foods grocery store about a block away and it was a great source of breakfast (although we had to eat on the bed as there was no other place for us to set the food) We also found a great place for breakfast about four blocks away called Yolks. Try the breakfast burrito and go with the fresh fruit. It was yummy!

Overall the Felix was nicely decorated and clean, but I am not sure how it was a four star hotel. I expect a bit more for the price and star rating. For example, would have been nice to have a loaner umbrella when it unexpectedly rained, but they did not have any to loan. Alas, it was a nice location, an easy walk to great restaurants, but a tiny, tiny room!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

Hotel service was great, and the room looked great, but unfortunately the room was too noisy. The main source of noise was the air conditioning, that has a very loud fan, but you can also hear every time someone in a close by room comes back to the hotel.location is great. we had brunch at the restaurant and it was preaty good. one thing, if you do decide to stay there, be carefull with the bed corners as stick out quite a bit.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Felix? Share your experiences!