“Small rooms but great location” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Felix
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   111 W. Huron St., Chicago, IL 60654   |
Ranked #112 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
“Small rooms but great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Had a very good time in Chicago this December and this was because of the great location of this hotel. Only a couple of blocks from the train station and short walking distance to several bus stops. Free internet. Very nice (but also small) reception desk area. I thought the rooms were very small though. There's no counter in the bathroom!!!! There's no closet and you have only a short bar with five or six hangers to live with.

All in all it was a very good experience!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
georgejordan, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thank you for your review following your stay! We're thrilled you enjoyed our convenient location downtown, steps away from the city's finest shopping and attractions. While our rooms are cozy in nature, we're proud of our eco-friendly efforts. Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Huntsville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I used Priceline bid process and was afraid of the outcome due to a previous terrible hotel result. I was pleasantly surprised by the selection especially for the bargain price I got. I checked in Christmas evening about 8 p.m. The front desk clerk was not as polite as some hotels but he was not rude either. I had not read any detailed reviews about the hotel before my arrival but did see that on average the reviews were positive.

Since I arrived late I was placed on the 12th floor with a king sized bed. It was nice and cozy. I did notice it was minimally furnished which I did not mind. I have traveled often and this was perfect for me traveling alone.

After settling in I did read what others said about the hotel. OK, so yeah the room was smaller than some other hotels I have stayed in but this one made creative use of the available space. I had never seen a room with a curtain and cubby for a combination closet and safe area. There was adequate space surrounding the bed and drawers at the base of the bed. The photos attached makes the room appear smaller than reality. The bathroom was big enough and I liked that there was a shower and not a tub. Tubs seem to be a waste and also less sanitary in my opinion. There were two fixtures lacking in the bathroom and that was a vanity mirror and a safety rail in the shower. The rectangle sink was attractive but the spigot was too short. I did not like having to avoid touching the back of the sink.

The lighting was good and the room was clean. The towels were clean and fresh smelling too. House Keeping was very good at not disturbing me and managed to tidy the room within the few hours I left during midday. The bed was very comfortable and felt as if I was being hugged. Since I was on the top floor I constantly heard weird noises and I was also next to the elevator.

The location of this hotel is the highlight including the LM Bistro. It is in River North area which is walking distance to Magnificent Mile. Some other establishments I passed and/or visited while walking were The Rain Forest Café, Hard Rock Café, the fanciest McDonalds I have ever seen which I think is called the Rockin’ McDonalds, Walgreens, Whole Foods Market, BP service station, Sports Authority, Eggsperience Restaurant, and a slew of other establishments.

Note: The bottled water in the room has a tag stating $2.50 will be added to room charge. There is a vending machine in which the water is $1.50.

Room Tip: Request room away from elevators.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your review following your stay. We're thrilled you enjoyed our room decor, comfortable beds and hard working house keeping team. Congrats to you for taking advantage of our convenient location in the heart of downtown Chicago. Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon!
Dayton, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Our stay was for one night only on December 15th. We obtained the room through Priceline.com for $100.00 as a 4 star. We were initially disappointed as we read that it is rare to be able to upgrade to a two bedroom and it was further west from Michigan Ave than I really wanted. I called as soon as I received my confirmation to request a 2 bed. The receptionist was very friendly and stated it would be a request only; no guarantee. I called again to ask about the valet parking and again the receptionist was very friendly and informative.

When we arrived the valet/porter was very friendly and gave us the option of parking elsewhere for a cheaper rate. We chose to valet due to the ease of it and the unlimited in out privileges. When we went to the front desk to check in we were promptly assisted and the person acknowledged immediately our request for the 2 beds was denied. Fortunately we brought a sleeping bag for our 14 year old to sleep on. She did state she would send up extra bedding but forgot so I called down later. We were quickly assisted and ample bedding and towels were delivered. I wouldn't use Priceline again for a 4 star knowing this could easily happen. Because Priceline is only guaranteed for 2 people, this is not a fault of Hotel Felix, but still disappointing as the Priceline customers are not their top priority.

The room was decorated in a simple, clean updated look which I appreciate. The bathroom was modern albeit small. The room is small. The floors were not vacuumed or vacuumed well, but the bathroom was very clean.

The walk to Michigan is not that long so the distance would not deter me from staying there again for the right price, but I would definitely not stay here with 3 people again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
georgejordan, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Thank you for your review! We're pleased you enjoyed our kind valet, our clean and modern decor and convenient location. Regarding your request for a larger room, we book rooms based on what is available at the time of booking. Each and every one of our guests are of equal priority, regardless of whether they book a room from Priceline or directly with us. We want our guests to have the best experience possible and do our best to make this happen. Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon!
Louisville, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

My main complaint is the front desk and management who are dishonest and rude. We booked on priceline at a fixed rate for three persons but when you arrive you are hit with an upgrade charge. This was not mentioned when we called the hotel the next day to request a room with two double beds. The front desk person on Friday referred us to a manager who agreed to remove the charge but it was on the bill Sunday when we checked out. The same front desk person was there but "couldn't remember" who was his manager on Friday we talked to. Bottom line, they use Priceline to bait and switch. It's not just me...other reviews say the same thing. I don't like being lied to so this hotel does not deserve your business.
Also, the rooms and beds are tiny. Two adults can not sleep on the bed.
On the positive, it is centrally located and outside the front desk the staff is courteous and professional.

Room Tip: Only allow two persons per room. It is too small.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review following your stay. We are looking into the situation you described and will conduct remedial training as necessary. If there is a charge in error on your bill we will do our best to remedy the situation, please call us as soon as possible at (312) 447-3440. Thank you and we hope to speak with you soon.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

From reading other reviews of the small rooms at Hotel Felix, I was pleasantly surprised at the size of the room (average for a city hotel) and very pleased with the quality. The bed and bedding, bathroom fixtures and towels were all very good. They have a decent hotel bar with comfy furniture to sit and enjoy your drink, while people watching on the city sidewalk through the huge windows. The desk employees were very average, but Charles, the bellman, was superior. He advised us regarding a restaurant and it hit the nail on the head...the perfect place right in the neighborhood and right within our budget.

The only real negative I experienced is the noise level. I could hear the person in the room next door power up his computer and talk on the phone (at 5 am...how nice!). And our room was right by the ice machine. I heard people coming home from the bars at 4 am too. But still, this is a city hotel and you have to expect city noises.

I will definitely stay here again. It's unusual to get this kind of quality for $82 in downtown Chicago...and we stayed in December when there aren't many rooms to be had!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
georgejordan, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Thank you for your review following your stay with us! We agree that our rooms are comparable in size to other city hotels in the metropolitan Chicago area. We're thrilled you enjoyed our bed, bedding, bathroom fixtures, towels, our lobby bar, and especially Charles, our bellman. We'll be sure to pass your kind words onto Charles. Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon!
Dubuque, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Billed as a four-star property, the Hotel Felix fails to meet that standard in multiple ways. The rooms are too small for even a fridge, no room for a vanity in the bathroom, and you almost have to suck your gut in to get around the end of the bed. Claustrophobic guests may want to avoid. The attached restaurant is excellent, and coupled with the hotel location, is one of the most worthy attributes of the Hotel Felix

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review following your stay with us. While our rooms are cozy in nature, we're proud of our eco-friendly efforts and efficiencies. Thank you again and we hope you have a nice day.
Bayside, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

We loved the decor and location. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was cute but way too little. The result was no drawers or counter space. If I had be alone, it would have been fine, but the queen size room just did not leave enough space for two. Four stars?

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review following your stay with us. We're thrilled you enjoyed our modern decor, convenient location and friendly staff. While our rooms are cozy in nature, we're proud to be Chicago's first LEED certified eco-friendly hotel. Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon.

Been to Hotel Felix? Share your experiences!