“will go back in a heartbeat” 5 of 5 stars

$169 (USD)
Ranked #107 of 169 hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Columbus, Ohio, United States
“will go back in a heartbeat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

This was my first time staying in downtown Chicago, so keep that in mind. This is the first time I have felt compelled to give a review here, so that alone should tell you something! There are a couple of things about Hotel Felix that really impressed me. First, the staff was extremely friendly, but it wasn't forced. Second, the room we stayed in was on the small side, but that didn't matter to me. The bed and pillows were so comfortable that I stripped the bedding in the morning looking for brand tags so I can get the same thing in my home! It was the best night of sleep I've had in a long time. The bathroom was nice with a spacious shower. The sink was a bit shallow for my liking but not really a big deal. I will stay here again if the opportunity arises.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
georgejordan, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thank you for your review following your stay! We're thrilled you enjoyed your first trip to downtown Chicago and appreciated our hardworking staff and comfy bedding. We hope to see you again soon! Have a great day.

1,010 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Urbana, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Very small rooms. Queen room was 8 x 10 ft. Bath was separate and is spacious.

Very contemporary and modern look. Looks recently renovated. The hotel does not have any views from any side, so don't hope for one. Located well in the north river district. Walking distance from usual attractions. Good restaurants nearby.

The bed is not the most comfortable I have slept on.too soft for me. There is an LCD TV in the room but it was awkwardly positioned. It was positioned on a wall right next to the bed, so I have to watch it sideways from literally two feet away.

The furniture is modern as well.

You can hear sounds from it side the room. Which was very bad. You can also hear the traffic. And its loud.

The quest for space optimization has ruined this hotel. The rooms are barely enough for two adults and a queen bed. The space to hang your clothes will fit five hangers. There is no space to keep your baggage.

This is NOT a 4 star even though the booking web sites say it is. It is NOT a luxury hotel. If anything, its a maybe 3 star.

If you have kids, this hotel is not for you.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms not facing the street or near elevators
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review following your stay with us. While our rooms are cozy in nature we're proud of our eco-friendly efforts and amenities. We hope to see you again soon, thank you again!
Calgary, AB
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I'm rating it "very good" for my overall experience, but I still have some lingering questions about some of the weirder things about this hotel (see bottom)....

We stayed here for 2 nights while visiting Chicago. Apparently they are undergoing renovations, or the place next door is, so there are scaffolding and construction materials at the entrance. This was no big deal. Unless you're a snob for appearances, then it shouldn't bother you. We did not hear any noise from construction at all.

Doormen, bellmen, and valet are impeccable. Great customer service, and very attentive. Always present, opening doors, greeting you pleasantly. We tipped them generously; they do excellent work. Valet parking was $44/night, but we had in/out privileges. I understand there is a parking garage across the street for $28/night, but I believe there are no in/out privileges.

Location was EXCELLENT! We were one block away from Whole Foods grocery store, and there were sooooo many restaurants in the vicinity to choose from. We did not dine at the hotel. Short walk to magnificant mile. A previous poster mentioned a soup kitchen across the street? I saw no such thing. There were a few homeless people in the area, but it's proportionate to the rest of downtown Chicago. There were no beggars.

We booked through Priceline, so I didn't really have a choice for the hotel. After reading some of the previous reviews about others who booked through Priceline and had a bad experience, I started to get nervous. Like, does Priceline only sell off the crappiest, smallest rooms here, or what?

Check in was very smooth. We asked if we could get a room with a bathtub as we had our 18 month old son with us who takes a bath every night as part of his bedtime routine. I think they changed our room from the original we had booked through Priceline, so maybe this is why we didn't think the room was so bad. My brother in law lived just outside Chicago for many years, and he says it doesn’t matter what hotel you stay at in downtown, all the rooms are "small", especially in the boutique hotel category as the buildings are older.

We got Room 303, which is two doors down from the elevator entrance (so we did get the occasional noisy guest walking by our door), and we had a view of a brick wall (which to us didn't matter as we think of hotels as places to sleep, not hang out in).

I guess we were preparing for the worst, so when we got to our room, we were pleasantly surprised by the size. I've seen some pictures on here where the wall comes up right to the foot of the bed, but we had a good 4-5 feet of clearance at the foot of the bed. There was no sitting area like in larger hotel rooms, but there was a small desk on one side of the bed where we could put our computer, etc.

The bathroom was surprisingly large when compared to the rest of the suite. Beds are super comfortable and new. Room was recently renovated so it was all modern decor, flat screen wall mounted TV, free Wi-Fi, etc. We needed a mini fridge to keep our son's milk chilled, and the porter who assisted us with our luggage called the front desk and had one sent up right away. The mini fridge is free of charge, but does not come standard with every room, you have to request it.

But here are some of the weird things about this place:

1. The sinks in the bathroom are extremely shallow. I had read a previous post about how shallow they were, and the poster was very upset about it. I thought the poster was just being silly and was looking for something to complain about..... But she was right! You end up splashing water all over yourself every time you wash your hands or brush your teeth! We also use the hot water to heat up our son's bottle, so it was a little awkward trying to figure out how to lay his bottle in the sink under the running water (as we couldn't fill the shallow sink with enough hot water to stand a bottle in). The hotel has definitely opted for fashion and not function in this regard. It looks really cool, but doesn't work very well. Also, considering it's a brand new sink, the sink stopper and backend return didn't work very well and constantly got stuck and at one point broke off (we were able to put it back on). It's just low quality materials (fine for a residential house, but not a high use area like a hotel).

2. Shower head holder was broken.... like missing parts completely. So I go to take a shower, and it's one of those removable, European shower heads that can slide up and down a bar to accommodate your height, or the showerhead can be removed off the bar altogether for body rinsing. I noticed that the shower head wasn't staying at the top of the bar and just kept sliding down the bar (there is no way of tightening it, so I just thought it was wear and tear that made the shower head handle loose) So I go to take the shower head and remove it off the bar (to just hold it in my hand and give myself a body rinse) and the whole bar comes crashing to the floor off the wall. Upon further inspection, I noticed that there were no screws or bolts holding the bar in place. Someone had just wedged the bar into the bar holder at an angle so that the bar would stay upright (without screws and a ball joint, the bar would be too short to stay in the grooves). The most concerning part is that housekeeping would have been the last people to touch the shower as the shower was clean.... and when I alerted the front desk, they had no record of maintenance being called to the room. So that was a little weird.

3. Shower curtain is too short (horizontally). I know this may sound odd, but the shower curtain didn't fully cover the length of the bathtub. If you pulled it too far front, the back end was exposed. And vice versa. This would have been okay, but the bathtub itself is extremely shallow (not unlike the sink!!!) so water just splashes everywhere when you take a shower. It either splashes out the back or out the front depending on which side you've pulled the shwoer curatin to.... and you end up soaking the floor.

4. Mini fridge didn't really get cold. We had it cranked to extra cold, and only the items by the fan at the back stayed cool. The veggies and juice we had in the door shelf all spoiled and were warm.

5. Air conditioning is right over the bed, so every time the fan turned on, cold air blasted right onto your face.

Overall we had a good experience. The customer service was really great and the hotel staffers are really great and we would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review! We're thrilled you enjoyed our hardworking staff and outstanding customer service. We appreciate your generosity. We're also thrilled you enjoyed our convenient location in the heart of downtown Chicago. Thank you for reporting your issue with the shower head. We hope to see you again soon!
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

We stayed at the Felix for the first time during the first week of August 2012. I've been to Chicago many times, and this may be the best value I've had in years. The rooms are indeed small and things are not perfect, but it's a room with a comfortable bed in a good location. Two things to improve. First: consistency. It was always interesting to go back at the end of the day to see which toiletries were replaced and which were missing, and if we had glass glasses, plastic glasses or no glasses (only 5 nights, and all 3 occurred). Second: noise. The walls are not great and noise travels through the vents and bathroom wall. One thing not to change: the front desk and bell desk staff!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review following your stay with us. We're glad you enjoyed our comfortable beds and linens, as well as our hardworking staff! Regarding the issue with the cups, we're looking into it now. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you again soon!
Amsterdam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

The rooms are really really small. It's not a luxury hotel, more city chic. Nice for a night or two, but go somewhere else for a longer trip.

I booked on Priceline.

Good location especially if it's your first trip to Chicago or you are not familiar with the area, but parking is OUTRAGEOUS in the area. Also, the coffee in the morning is disgusting! The bar is sorta depressing. The restaurant next door is also horribly overpriced.

Don't get me wrong, I like the hotel, but you have to be careful otherwise you'll end up spending a fortune!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor facing east if possible.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review following your stay with us. We're glad you enjoyed our convenient location and chic decor. Parking in the area is consistent with downtown metropolitan-area pricing but we do offer convenient valet as an option with unlimited in-and-out privileges. Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon!
Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Pros:
+ The decor is stylish (the room was very small, but it didn't bother me at all)
+ The location is fairly convenient (we were able to walk most places)
+ The hotel restaurant had good food (and therefore, the room service is probably tasty?)
+ Nice toiletries (beyond the usual soap and shampoo, there were q-tips, make-up remover pads, etc)
+ Clean

Cons:
- The view almost completely blocked by the construction of another hotel being built directly in front of it. We kept our shades drawn because we didn't want construction workers gawking at us from 10 ft away)
- Noise (from the hallways, but not too bad of street noise)
- Housekeeping knocked on our door at 8:30am. We forgot to put the "Do Not Disturb" sign out, but I still think that is way too early.
- The "free" internet was super weak. I think this was actually my biggest Con.

Overall, I would recommend it. Maybe request a room not viewing the construction though!

Room Tip: Request a room not facing the construction, and not too close to the elevators. Don't forget to...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
georgejordan, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Thank you for your review following your stay with us. We're pleased you enjoyed our modern decor, convenient location, upscale amenities and clean accommodations. We hope to see you again soon, thank you!
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights in August 2012 - it was booked on Priceline and advertised as a 4.5 star "luxury" hotel.
Pros:
-great location, centrally located to everything
-very friendly staff (front desk and bell men)
-clean, comfortable beds
Cons:
-the building smells faintly of stale cigarette smoke (although it is a non-smoking hotel, must have allowed smoking before it was Hotel Felix)
-our bathroom smelled of mouldy soap scum, tiles on shower floor were not updated when the rest of the bathroom was
-noise in hallways travel (had some rowdy ppl on our floor)

It served our purpose well (quick weekend trip to the city), however, for our anniversary we were looking for something nicer. "Luxury" is a stretch.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review following your stay. We're thrilled you enjoyed our convenient location, friendly staff and comfortable bedding. Regarding the smell and the noise, in the future please contact us at the front desk and we'll do our best to remedy the situation. Thank you again and have a wonderful day!

Been to Hotel Felix? Share your experiences!