“small & convenient” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #100 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Sylvania
“small & convenient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

Although the rooms are quite small, the location is great and its a good price. Within walking distance of many awesome attractions, it couldnt be more convenient. The free breakfast was great as well, and even though it is small, it is neat and organized.

TODD V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel Cass, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Hello travelingeileen,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our location right in the heart of downtown Chicago, as well as our hot, complementary breakfast. Thank you again for your review. Hope to see you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Greek first
  • Thai first
O Fallon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

My daughter and I stayed for 2 nights while we visited colleges in Chicago. I felt very safe staying there.Everyone there was very polite and helpful. The breakfast was very good. I will definitely be back!!

• Stayed August 2014
TODD V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel Cass, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Hello Theatremom8,
Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay while you and your daughter visited colleges. I will pass along the positive feedback to the team. Thank you again for your review.
Kristiansand, Norway
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

Very old hotel with very small rooms. The noise from the AC makes it impossible to use during the night - which you need in July in Chicago. Had a 4 night reservation, checked out after 1. Lobby area and breakfast area is as one would expect at Holiday Inn/Holiday Inn Express properties. Everything else is not.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
TODD V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel Cass, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Hello Kennethtravelling,

Thank you for your review. I will looking the situation of the AC unit. I understand that a good night rest is important for all travelers. Thank you again for your review. Have a nice day.
Lafayette, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

We arrived a few hours after we were allowed to check in. We were first assigned to a room which we discovered hadn't been cleaned so we were assigned a different room (911) which isn't a good sign. The room seemed OK but small at first glance which was OK because that's what the reviews said.

We learned later that the hotel had been poorly renovated. The showerhead wasn't mounted securely with only drywall holding it up. It will fall soon mounted that way. The bathroom door didn't shut properly (discovered at midnight when my husband was trying to not wake me up). Also, the air conditioning system or window (I don't know which) made a nice loud whistling noise which was enough to prevent sleep for this heavy sleeper so we had to turn the air conditioning on super low to attempt to drown out the noise. In the shower, we found toothpaste on the wall and shower curtain. To end our stay, my husband found not one, but two very long hairs in his biscuits and gravy. Who knows how many more were in that tub. I lost my appetite after the second hair because who knows what other food preparation protocols weren't being followed. One hair OK but two is where I draw the line. The staff was really nice but that does not make up for our experience there.

All the other hotels we looked at in that part of town were comparable in price and the only reason I chose this one was because of dozens of only positive experiences with this hotel chain. This was very disappointing for the price I paid.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel Cass, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Dear boilermakergirl,

Thank you for sharing your experience about your stay with us. We assure you that we are committed to delivering quality in all aspects of the guest experience and appreciate your feedback. I truly apologize for any inconvenience caused by the cleanliness of the bathroom, loud air conditioner and food quality. Please be assured that we do take all feedback seriously, and we will look into them accordingly.

I sincerely hope this incident will not deter you from giving us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Gainesville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

Everyone in the hotel was very friendly and helpful. When we first got to our room, the toilet wouldn't flush. We called the front desk, and within a few minutes, they had someone in our room fixing it. Apparently, they recently installed low flow toilets that just don't flush well, so that was a little annoying.

The room and common areas were clean and well maintained. The daily hot breakfast was well stocked and had enough of a variety to choose from.

The room was the smallest hotel room I've ever seen. There were no nightstands next to the bed and only a small chest with the small drawers in the closet. That said, it was sufficient for two adults visiting the city.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again. It was clean, the staff was friendly, the price was reasonable, and the location was great.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello spaslp,

Thank you for your review after your recent stay with us. As a fully renovated historic hotel in the heart of the Loop, our rooms are comparable in size to similar hotels in the downtown Chicago area. I am Happy to hear you enjoyed our hot, complementary breakfast as well as our location in the heart of downtown Chicago. Thank you again, and hope to see you again soon.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

Enjoyed our 3 night stay here. Check in was a little brusque but otherwise all staff were pleasant enough. Room was snug but I guess this is to be expected in a city centre. Fairly central location to all sights too. Nevertheless, the room was comfy and clean, breakfast was plentiful and we would recommend.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello Travelbug603,
Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our location right in the heart of downtown Chicago, steps away from the city's finest shopping, dining and attractions. Thank you again for your review, we hope to see you soon.
Ridgewood, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

The charming exterior and lobby area exceeded my expectations of a Holiday Inn Express. Everyone at the front desk is friendly and helpful. Fran made my day!
Excellent location. We had no problem getting a cab. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Hi Megan M.,
Thank you for your review, and I am happy that you "thoroughly enjoyed" your stay. I will pass along the positive comments to Fran, and am glad our lobby exceeded your expectations. Thank you again for your review. Have a nice day.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel Cass? Share your experiences!