“Surprise!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN River North Hotel

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN River North Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN River North Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   125 West Ohio Street, Chicago, IL 60654 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #77 of 171 Hotels in Chicago
Delta Junction, Alaska
“Surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Right in the heart of where we wanted to be, we found an affordable and comfortable hotel option. The beds and pillows were almost luxurious. The pool was chilly but the kids loved the location. The staff was kind. Parking is pricey and limited. Our only concern was a broken elevator that was being repaired. The wonderful Yolk restaurant is on the same block. Fantastic for breakfast!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Janesville, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

The location and free parking is about all this hotel has going for it. We let our one year old crawl around on the floor in our room which looked cleaned but wasn't with in minutes his hands, legs, and tops of his shoes where black. When I gave my room number and explained the situation to the lady at the desk all she said was she would tell housekeeping. So my apologies to the guests around us because I wouldn't let my boy crawl on the floor the following morning when he got up around 6:00 a.m. and he screamed for about an hour or so while we got ready/packed up.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Bridgeport, CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I needed to be in downtown Chicago for a conference, and the official conference hotels were too pricey for me. Here, the price was right, and the hotel provided everything I needed, though perhaps not as glamorously as the others I visited in the course of the conference. The hallways and rooms were tired, but clean, and the bed was quite comfortable. The neighborhood was just a block or two outside the area covered by the fancier hotel chains--walkable to everything if you're a seasoned walker like me, and just a few streets where I felt a little uncomfortable being alone and female after dark. (As I often say, "God protects the idiots.") It was an easy walk to the Blue Line station to get to and from O'Hare economically, even at 5 a.m. Grabbed a couple of inexpensive breakfast items at the supermarket down the street and enjoyed a coffee made in-room for that morning I needed to leave for the airport before the restaurant opened. I had one breakfast but not dinner at the hotel restaurant; it was quite good for the price, as I created a meal from the sides of toast, muffin, etc. The check-in staff should warn people about the hot water issue. I DID run the shower for about 10 minutes, waiting for lukewarm if not hot, and finally took a cold shower my first morning. After I mentioned it to the front desk, it was much better the next morning. There was also quite a lot of noise from the street--there must have been some sort of HUGE party (graduation?), as THREE party buses pulled up outside the McDonald's across the street and disgorged dozens of loud late teen/early 20s dressed-up people around 1:30 Saturday morning, right under my window. My expedition to find the hotel swimming pool was unsuccessful. I know my organization is returning to Chicago for another conference in a couple of years, and I would consider staying at Best Western River North again.

Room Tip: I think there are rooms on the upper floors of the building that includes the lobby, and I believe t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We stayed here for two nights. Our room was right against W. Ohio so the traffic noise was a bit much sometimes. Though around midnight it grew quiet. The room was clean and no sign of bedbugs having been the room, we settled down and enjoyed a very nice place to stay. I did have three things that need improvement however. 1. The bathroom drains need some looking after. We were in room 316 I believe, at the end of the hall along the vending machines to the back on the right. The drains when we left were plugged. This happens in older hotels so we didn't stress it. We did tell the girl upon check out which leads me to 2. The staff is professional and handled their business very well, but smiles everyone! Smiles! Not one person smiled back at me. A smile goes miles in this industry. 3. The vending machines are garbage. Not one but three people in the lobby complained about the machines not working or stealing money. There are a million and one vendors out there that would give a first born to have a Best Western client. You should find a new vendor your current one sucks. Other than that, the bed was awesome, the air conditioning was fabulous and housekeeping was phenomenal. I would defiantly stay here again, even if the staff doesn't smile.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stayed for 6 nights at the Best Western Plus River North, it was the most affordable downtown hotel.

On the positive side: free parking is an incredible value in a city where you have to pay a minimum of $40 for valet parking. Location is excellent as well, 5 minutes walk to Rush Street with loads of restaurants and 10 minutes walk to Magnificent Mile.

Rooms were quite small, bathroom and bathtub were difficult to move around. But for the price you pay, you can't really complain I guess. The rooms do need to be re-decorated, the rooms are in worse condition than other motels that we've stayed in.

Room Tip: Check in with foursquare and upgrade to a suite for just $10.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
RiverNorthHotel, Manager at BEST WESTERN River North Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell other travelers about your experience with us. We do appreciate the compliments of our value, including our location and parking. While we renovated all rooms in 2011, we understand the decor may not be to the liking of each of our guests. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again in Chicago.

Samuel
Marketing Mgr.

Been to BEST WESTERN River North Hotel? Share your experiences!