“An outstanding location and exceptional service!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Whitehall Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Whitehall Hotel to your Saves list
The Whitehall Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   105 East Delaware Place, Chicago, IL 60611 (Gold Coast)   |
Offers & Announcements
Drive, Stay and Play
Ranked #79 of 167 hotels in Chicago
Cincinnati, Ohio
“An outstanding location and exceptional service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This hotel was absolutely wonderful towards me and my company. We got into town on July 3rd, 2014 with reservations at the JW Marriott. Unfortunately, the Marriott had messed up our reservations, and we were misplaced without a hotel to stay at. I was furious. Thankfully, my friend found this hotel for a great rate on Hotwire, and we booked the hotel at a very great rate! That isn't even the best part, the best part came when we were checking in and how accommodating the front desk associate, Bazaar was to us. Of course I was in a bad mood, but she made it better with her light humor and fun personality. Throughout our whole weekend we would run into her, and by our last day, I ran over to sprinkles and bought her a cupcake to show my gratitude.

The hotel is in a great location. Actually it is in a prime location! Michigan Ave. is literally down the street, along with the beach and not to mention some of the best restaurants in Chicago! I couldn't have asked for a better mistake. I will make it my duty to always stay at the Whitehall from now on! Thanks for the wonderful experience, Whitehall!

Room Tip: If you can afford to splurge, go for the junior suite.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Sean C, General Manager at The Whitehall Hotel, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Marc B,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful comments about the hotel. I was certainly glad that Bazaar was able to help turn your mood around with her service and personality. I will be sure to pass your comments to Bazaar as well as the rest of the team. I am thrilled that your entire stay went well as well. I couldn't agree more that the location can not be beat for everything Chicago has to offer.

Thank you for staying at the Whitehall and we hope you will continue to choose our hotel for all your future travel needs. We are confident you will be delighted with each and every stay!

140 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We stayed at the Whitehall in June 2014 because we found a deal on Hotwire for around $179 per night.

If you're looking for a great location, this is one of them. It's right across from the Four Seasons Chicago less than a block from Michigan Avenue and good shopping.

We got a room with 2 Queens on the 6th floor across from the elevator which was comfortable and fine. Beds were comfortable, air conditioner worked, etc. We didn't pay for a view, I'm sure.

I don't know what I was expecting when I was allured by the claim of it being a "boutique hotel"...come to think of it, what does that mean even - not a chain hotel?

Regardless, our double queen room was an upgrade from the special you find on the web, however...if you're booking a KING sized room my friend stayed in one the night prior to me checking in and she said she could barely turn around in it let alone fit an extra cot if there are two people (who don't want to share a bed) staying in it.

Doorman and front desk staff are great and work hard to provide good service, and no complaints about anything really. For an older hotel, it's kept up nicely. There's a very small front entrance way and a couple of restaurants but not very big common space for hotel guests wanting to just hang out.

In short, I would stay again if I got another Hotwire deal for that price.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Sean C, General Manager at The Whitehall Hotel, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Mellymacd,

Thank you for sharing your great comments! We appreciate the feedback and will be sure to share all of your comments with our team. We celebrate the successes and focus on the opportunities for improvement. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I do hope you come back to visit us in the future.

Our goal is to provide wonderful accommodations and a relaxing atmosphere. Again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Buffalo Grove, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My Book Club, consisting of 14 women, LOVE this hotel! This is our 2nd visit to The Whitehall, and is the ONLY place we will stay when visiting Chicago. The rooms are lovely, beds are SO comfy, lobby is inviting, and the friendly, knowledgeable staff goes above and beyond to make everyone feel welcome. The location is wonderful - walking distance to so many Chicago landmarks, as well as public transportation. We are looking forward to our next Whitehall Hotel stay!

Room Tip: Every room is lovely!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Judy H,

Thank you kindly for your wonderful comments about the hotel and staff. I will be sure to relay those comments to the entire staff.

We look forward to seeing everyone again soon!

Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I'm from Chicago but recently moved to Florida so I decided to return to town for the 4th of July Weekend. Booked a Hotwire deal for a "Boutique 4-star hotel" and got assigned to the Whitehall.

The pros about the hotel:

Location, Location, comfortable bed, great front desk ladies and the other friendly Staff

The not so friendly things about this "4-star" hotel were the amenities. There was no microwave or oven in the room, we were told that it would be an extra $10 per night to have a mini fridge brought to out room (Wow....), I am not the type to complain about cracks or stains here and there but the charge for the Mini fridge, lack of cups and small-sized King room were surprising for a 4 star hotel. We also had to wait about 55 minutes to receive a bucket of ice to our room on Saturday night. To make it worse, the guy brought a whole bag of ice to us....but no bucket to put the ice in.

Though I did love the location and friendly front desk staff.....overall I would probably not pay that price to stay there again based on my first experience. The price I paid and the hotel rating did not match up during my stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor facing Michigan Ave for a semi-view of the action.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Sean C, General Manager at The Whitehall Hotel, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Hakeem5,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I was glad to see that the front desk ladies took good care of you. They are wonderful staff and truly care about our guests experience. I will certainly pass your comments on to them. I do apologize for the issues you encountered at the hotel. It should not have taken that long to get ice and it certainly should have been brought in an ice bucket. I will speak with the housekeeping management about those issues.

We will continue to work to improve our overall product and hope you'll give us another opportunity to have you as our guest.

Thank you for choosing our hotel and for your valuable feedback.

Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We loved our stay here! We spent a couple of nights at a large chain hotel before spending a couple of nights here. The interior had a cozy, nostalgic vibe while the décor was actually very updated and modern. The location is convenient as it is only a block from the Magnificent Mile and Hancock tower. The valet and hotel staff were very friendly. My only complaint would be the $60 valet parking, but I have come to realize that is pretty standard at the hotels in that area. We will stay here again!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Brittnye T,

Thank you for your wonderful comments about your stay here at the Whitehall. I was glad to hear that you really enjoyed your stay and that the staff was very helpful. It is a great location and couldn't be closer to all the city has to offer.

Thank you again and I hope you come a visit with us again soon.

Cape Town, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Our stay at the Whitehall Hotel was good. While we have stayed at better hotels our stay was what we expected. We stayed for 4 nights and extended for one more. The location could not have been better. It is three blocks from the metro and in a great area for shopping and eating out at a range of great restaurants. Everything is within walking distance and we felt completely safe walking at any time of day or night. Chicago was incredible. The bed was too soft for our liking, specifically because the hotel places a thick but soft mattress cover over the mattress which we sunk into. The hotel seemed cleaner than others we have stayed at, although I do not like a carpeted room. The bathroom was clean, with a little mold in the bath/shower, but nothing extreme. Many hotels have housekeeping come in at unsuitable hours, the Whitehall was however excellent at having our room serviced while we were out. The air conditioning made a noise when it switches itself on and did wake us up once or twice throughout the night. There were drinking glasses in the room but no tea or coffee station. There is a mini bar. The hotel does have complimentary coffee in the lobby in the mornings, which we missed. For complimentary internet the WiFi was adequate.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view. Some of the rooms face a brick wall with only partial views of the stree...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Sean C, General Manager at The Whitehall Hotel, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear llds001,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I was glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. We receive a lot of comments from guests about our location. It just can not be beat. I was also happy to see your comments about cleanliness of the hotel. I believe our housekeeping staff does an excellent job throughout the hotel. They are also very attuned to our guests and when the appropriate time is to clean their room.

Thank you again for your comments and I do hope we see you again here at the Whitehall.

Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Due to Spirit Airlines (please save yourself and never fly this joke of an airline) kindly cancelling my flight out of town for no reason, I was forced to seek last minute accommodation in Chicago and The Whitehall didn't disappoint. The location is fantastic. Right next to the Hancock building and Water Tower Place. Likewise, Michigan Avenue and Oak Street beach are within easy reach. The front desk staff were also very helpful and as I was leaving to find somewhere to eat one evening, I was given an umbrella to keep my dry from the rain. It's worth checking out the small Chinese restaurant that is part of the hotel. I had a couple of light meals in here that were just the ticket and reasonably priced to boot.

I was a little disappointed with the room though. While the bed was very comfortable and everything clean and tidy, it was very dark. Floor and table lights, rather than wall switches, were provided for most of the illuminance but were not adequate and gave the room a bit of a depressive feel. The bathroom was a little small too and the corridors in the hotel a little dated.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Sean C, General Manager at The Whitehall Hotel, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear foggyhorse,

I am glad you were able to find us even if it was not under the most ideal circumstances. I was also happy to hear that the front desk was warm and accommodating. I believe all of them are caring and look to take care of our guests. I was also glad to see that you were able to take advantage of Mei's Corner restaurant. It has fantastic food and is prepared the traditional way that does not make the food greasy like you will find in a lot of Chinese restaurants. I do apologize for the lighting. We are looking to possibly upgrading our lighting in the room to bring in more light for our guests. We certainly do not want guests to have a depressed feel during their stay.

Thank you for completing a review and I hope you stay with us again, but certainly not under the same circumstances. If I can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

The Whitehall Hotel

Been to The Whitehall Hotel? Share your experiences!