“Great location, comfortable room. Solid no frills” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Whitehall Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Whitehall Hotel to your Saves list
The Whitehall Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   105 East Delaware Place, Chicago, IL 60611 (Gold Coast)   |
Offers & Announcements
Fall into Chicago!
Ranked #84 of 171 Hotels in Chicago
Toronto
“Great location, comfortable room. Solid no frills”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

The price of this hotel is simply remarkable. I couldn't believe it was this central and this cheap. That alone should compel anyone to stay here. The room was quiet, the bed firm, the water pressure fine, no bugs. Fairly simple. Some things to note, though: when I checked in, the receptionists all ran off. I was exhausted. No one was there, so after waiting I knocked. The woman who appeared apologized, but it was as though they had work to do and part of that work didn't include me. Okay, fine, maybe it was just me being tired. The elevator is VERY small, so if you're claustrophobic, ask for a low floor. The room's water taps are really weird: they are rounded, with little grip, and no hot/cold indicator on the tube. Doors slam and are (like most hotels) quite audible. But overall, I'd stay there again.

Note: what you'll save on your hotel you sure will spend on parking. There is no such thing as cheap parking downtown, so don't even bother trying to find anything under $35/24hrs.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Sean C, General Manager at The Whitehall Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Dear AndrewTO,

Thank you for your most recent review of our hotel. I was glad to see that you believed that the hotel is of great value and I would have to agree. I believe for our location we are a reasonably priced boutique hotel in the heart of everything Chicago has to offer. I do want to apologize for what you experienced at the front desk. This is certainly not indicative of how we welcome our guests. I will certainly pass your comments to the entire staff and ensure that we are making our guests number one when they arrive.

Thank you again for your comments and I do hope you come back and visit with us. We would love to have you back and if I can be of any assistance to ensure that your stay goes flawlessly, please do not hesitate to ask.

The Whitehall Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I had a wonderful experience during a business stay. Hope to return for a personal vacation. Customer service remained a highlight, and the rest the hotel services also demonstrated high quality. Lovely people and a lovely hotel. I highly recommend. You really can't beat the location and the quality.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Nancy G,

Thank you for your kind comments about the Whitehall. I was really glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will be certain to pass on your comments to the entire staff at the hotel. It is a wonderful staff that really takes pride in the hotel.

Thank you again for your comments and if you need any assistance planning your personal vacation with our hotel, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Atlanta,Ga.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

First the good! You can't beat the location in the Gold coast section of Chicago, 2 blocks to the Magnificent Mile and Hancock building and also blocks away from Rush street. Many,Many,Many great places to eat within walking distance to hotel. 3 Blocks to the Howard line(Red) Staff was great, and bellmen were always there to help. Before I go on we did get this hotel via Hotwire($137.00 per night) and no matter what any hotel says they are not going to get you in the best standard rooms. Free limited WIFI on lower floors.
So the bad or marginal:
-Rooms below the 7th floor have not been redone. Furniture worn and outdated. We were put on the 7th floor. Hall carpet has seen it's day. The saving grace for us was it was a end room and we did have a good view East to the Hancock building.
-No ice buckets supplied and no ice on any floors? You have to call front desk for ice and a bucket, which will cost you a tip....mind you I don't mind tipping but for a ice bucket and ice!!!!
-Room when we arrived had no wash cloths...had to call front desk. This got a bit better the next night they only left one cloth had to call again?
-No refrigerators in room, even though there is a place for one under the TV, you can request one for a price. Nice to put left over pizza and such from a nights dinner!
- Please use caution with snack tray, the items set on a pressure sensitive tray, if you lift an item to look at it, you have 60 seconds to replace or you will be charged for it. It sets near the TV and if you bump it and don't know you did....you just bought that 3 buck Snickers.
- No coffee maker, again for a cost and a tip the hotel will bring you coffee to your room
-Mini bar is not accessible unless you call the front desk to remotely open it, and the same rules apply removing an item, replace it with in 60 seconds or you bought it. Crazy setup!!!
- Business office on 3rd floor has no free internet, all pay as you go. They will however allow you to access your airline and print boarding passes.
Bottom line rooms come with no amenities other than the usual complementary soaps and such, like I said I tip and have no problem doing so. But come on, they nickle and dime you to death for items that are usually standard in most upscale and mid scale hotels!!!
Overall the location outweighed the lack of amenities, due to the fact we were hardly in the room other than to sleep. I suspect once they complete the renovations of the remaining rooms, priceline or hotwire will not be options anymore.

Room Tip: Be sure to request a room above the 7th floor, rooms below have not been renovated as of our visit!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear jvgaz,

Thank you for recent review on our hotel. I was glad to hear that our staff took care of you during your stay. Also, I agree that our location can not be beat as far as getting to everything that the city has to offer. We have recently updated most areas of the hotel and will continue to improve our product, so we do appreciate your feedback to help us better understand where the focus needs to be. I do apologize for the issue in regards to the wash clothes. I will have our housekeeping department investigate as to why there were not enough wash clothes placed into your room. I also agree in regards to the refrigerators and we are planning to place them in every room in the hotel. We are also looking to placing coffee makers in the room in the future. At this point we do offer complimentary coffee for all of our guests in the lobby, but we do understand that this would be a great addition to our rooms.

Thank you again for your time and comments. I do hope you come back and visit with us in the future and see the upgrades we have made. If you do decide to come back, please do not hesitate to contact me personally so that I can ensure you are in a room that you will enjoy.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Loved this hotel. For me, simply one of the very best in Chicago. Here's why.... Cozy rooms with a high calibre decor, the most comfortable bed with real down to compliment, excellently located for all mid town Chicago bars clubs restaurants and theatres! Classy place that I highly recommend! Thanks.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Sean C, General Manager at The Whitehall Hotel, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Dear LondonAlan63,

Thank you very much for your wonderful comments about our hotel. I was glad to see that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. The beds are some of the best in the world and we receive a lot of good feedback from guests about how well they slept while they were here. We also receive wonderful feedback on the location of the hotel which can not be beat. So easily accessible to everything Chicago has to offer.

Thank you again for your kind comments and I do hope you come back to visit us here at the Whitehall.

Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Nice location of the hotel. Hotel very clean and I loved the bed. It is right down the street from other lavish hotels but this hotel did not deserve the 4 star rating. No amenities at all. The room was tiny and the front desk was less than cordial. This was a 2 star hotel fixed up to look like a 4 star without the amenities at best. Barely any room to move around we had to take turns getting ready for the Prince concert. Nice place to lay your head for the night, but for an extended stay with service look elsewhere. Also they say a manager is never on duty. Only a supervisor. There was no microwave available in the entire hotel except in the restaurant which was closed. I thought this was ludicrous. They did not even have one for the employees to use!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Leonetta Russel...L,

Thank you for your most recent review of our hotel. I was disappointed to see that you did not fully enjoy your experience at our hotel. I do want to apologize that the front desk staff was not cordial and I will ensure that we pass the comments to the staff. We dropped the ball and your stay should have been nothing short of fantastic. We always have someone on staff that is responsible for the entire hotel and is considered the manager on duty and I will reenforce that with the staff so that we are communicating better with our guests. Unfortunately we do not have the capabilities to provide a microwave for guest use as it would have to be in an area where it is monitored per fire code. We will look into resolving this issue and see if there is a better solution for our guests.

Thank you again for your comments and I do hope you come back to visit with us and let us show you that we are a wonderful hotel to stay at. If you do decide to stay with us again, please contact me directly so that I may ensure that your stay goes flawlessly.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

The Whitehall is a perfect blend of traditional and modernity, right in the heart of Chicago. Location cannot be beat- steps away from Bloomingdales and directly across from the Hancock Tower. Staff is friendly and professional (especially Toni, who was kind enough to let me check in early). Everything you would expect from a modern luxury hotel (free wifi, flat-panel tv, gym and business center on premises), while still retaining the feel of old Chicago. I would definitely stay here again and recommend to friends.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Dear Graceslee96,

Thank you for your kind comments about the staff, location and amenities. I would have to agree that the location of the hotel can not be beat. So close to everything that Chicago has to offer. I would also have to agree that the staff is top notch and that Toni is truly an asset to the hotel. I will be sure to pass on your kind comments and give her an extra thank you for all she does for our guests. I was also glad you enjoyed the amenities as some of them are recent upgrades, so it is nice to see that our guests are enjoying them.

I hope your travels bring you back to Chicago soon and that you choose the Whitehall for your stay. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need any assistance.

The Whitehall Hotel

Been to The Whitehall Hotel? Share your experiences!