“If you want Location, this is it!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Whitehall Hotel

You added The Whitehall Hotel to your Saves list
The Whitehall Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   105 East Delaware Place, Chicago, IL 60611 (Gold Coast)   |
Special Offer
Chicago Winter Warm Up!
Ranked #88 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Atlanta,Ga.
“If you want Location, this is it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

First the good! You can't beat the location in the Gold coast section of Chicago, 2 blocks to the Magnificent Mile and Hancock building and also blocks away from Rush street. Many,Many,Many great places to eat within walking distance to hotel. 3 Blocks to the Howard line(Red) Staff was great, and bellmen were always there to help. Before I go on we did get this hotel via Hotwire($137.00 per night) and no matter what any hotel says they are not going to get you in the best standard rooms. Free limited WIFI on lower floors.
So the bad or marginal:
-Rooms below the 7th floor have not been redone. Furniture worn and outdated. We were put on the 7th floor. Hall carpet has seen it's day. The saving grace for us was it was a end room and we did have a good view East to the Hancock building.
-No ice buckets supplied and no ice on any floors? You have to call front desk for ice and a bucket, which will cost you a tip....mind you I don't mind tipping but for a ice bucket and ice!!!!
-Room when we arrived had no wash cloths...had to call front desk. This got a bit better the next night they only left one cloth had to call again?
-No refrigerators in room, even though there is a place for one under the TV, you can request one for a price. Nice to put left over pizza and such from a nights dinner!
- Please use caution with snack tray, the items set on a pressure sensitive tray, if you lift an item to look at it, you have 60 seconds to replace or you will be charged for it. It sets near the TV and if you bump it and don't know you did....you just bought that 3 buck Snickers.
- No coffee maker, again for a cost and a tip the hotel will bring you coffee to your room
-Mini bar is not accessible unless you call the front desk to remotely open it, and the same rules apply removing an item, replace it with in 60 seconds or you bought it. Crazy setup!!!
- Business office on 3rd floor has no free internet, all pay as you go. They will however allow you to access your airline and print boarding passes.
Bottom line rooms come with no amenities other than the usual complementary soaps and such, like I said I tip and have no problem doing so. But come on, they nickle and dime you to death for items that are usually standard in most upscale and mid scale hotels!!!
Overall the location outweighed the lack of amenities, due to the fact we were hardly in the room other than to sleep. I suspect once they complete the renovations of the remaining rooms, priceline or hotwire will not be options anymore.

Room Tip: Be sure to request a room above the 7th floor, rooms below have not been renovated as of our visit!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Sean C, General Manager at The Whitehall Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Dear jvgaz,

Thank you for recent review on our hotel. I was glad to hear that our staff took care of you during your stay. Also, I agree that our location can not be beat as far as getting to everything that the city has to offer. We have recently updated most areas of the hotel and will continue to improve our product, so we do appreciate your feedback to help us better understand where the focus needs to be. I do apologize for the issue in regards to the wash clothes. I will have our housekeeping department investigate as to why there were not enough wash clothes placed into your room. I also agree in regards to the refrigerators and we are planning to place them in every room in the hotel. We are also looking to placing coffee makers in the room in the future. At this point we do offer complimentary coffee for all of our guests in the lobby, but we do understand that this would be a great addition to our rooms.

Thank you again for your time and comments. I do hope you come back and visit with us in the future and see the upgrades we have made. If you do decide to come back, please do not hesitate to contact me personally so that I can ensure you are in a room that you will enjoy.

The Whitehall Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Loved this hotel. For me, simply one of the very best in Chicago. Here's why.... Cozy rooms with a high calibre decor, the most comfortable bed with real down to compliment, excellently located for all mid town Chicago bars clubs restaurants and theatres! Classy place that I highly recommend! Thanks.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Sean C, General Manager at The Whitehall Hotel, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Dear LondonAlan63,

Thank you very much for your wonderful comments about our hotel. I was glad to see that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. The beds are some of the best in the world and we receive a lot of good feedback from guests about how well they slept while they were here. We also receive wonderful feedback on the location of the hotel which can not be beat. So easily accessible to everything Chicago has to offer.

Thank you again for your kind comments and I do hope you come back to visit us here at the Whitehall.

Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Nice location of the hotel. Hotel very clean and I loved the bed. It is right down the street from other lavish hotels but this hotel did not deserve the 4 star rating. No amenities at all. The room was tiny and the front desk was less than cordial. This was a 2 star hotel fixed up to look like a 4 star without the amenities at best. Barely any room to move around we had to take turns getting ready for the Prince concert. Nice place to lay your head for the night, but for an extended stay with service look elsewhere. Also they say a manager is never on duty. Only a supervisor. There was no microwave available in the entire hotel except in the restaurant which was closed. I thought this was ludicrous. They did not even have one for the employees to use!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Leonetta Russel...L,

Thank you for your most recent review of our hotel. I was disappointed to see that you did not fully enjoy your experience at our hotel. I do want to apologize that the front desk staff was not cordial and I will ensure that we pass the comments to the staff. We dropped the ball and your stay should have been nothing short of fantastic. We always have someone on staff that is responsible for the entire hotel and is considered the manager on duty and I will reenforce that with the staff so that we are communicating better with our guests. Unfortunately we do not have the capabilities to provide a microwave for guest use as it would have to be in an area where it is monitored per fire code. We will look into resolving this issue and see if there is a better solution for our guests.

Thank you again for your comments and I do hope you come back to visit with us and let us show you that we are a wonderful hotel to stay at. If you do decide to stay with us again, please contact me directly so that I may ensure that your stay goes flawlessly.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

The Whitehall is a perfect blend of traditional and modernity, right in the heart of Chicago. Location cannot be beat- steps away from Bloomingdales and directly across from the Hancock Tower. Staff is friendly and professional (especially Toni, who was kind enough to let me check in early). Everything you would expect from a modern luxury hotel (free wifi, flat-panel tv, gym and business center on premises), while still retaining the feel of old Chicago. I would definitely stay here again and recommend to friends.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Dear Graceslee96,

Thank you for your kind comments about the staff, location and amenities. I would have to agree that the location of the hotel can not be beat. So close to everything that Chicago has to offer. I would also have to agree that the staff is top notch and that Toni is truly an asset to the hotel. I will be sure to pass on your kind comments and give her an extra thank you for all she does for our guests. I was also glad you enjoyed the amenities as some of them are recent upgrades, so it is nice to see that our guests are enjoying them.

I hope your travels bring you back to Chicago soon and that you choose the Whitehall for your stay. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need any assistance.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

I loved the ambiance, staff professionalism, location, super comfy linens, free wireless, and location. I stayed for three days for a project and felt right at home. For guests who want to dine, shop, gawk at the John Hancock, and then go for a walk or jog by the lake, it's ideal.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Heather L,

Thank you for your kind comments about the location, staff and amenities of the hotel. I was glad to see that you really enjoyed your stay and that the Whitehall was the ideal location for your business. I hope you come back and visit on us while doing a little R&R. I think you will enjoy the hotel even more!

Thank you again and please do not hesitate to contact me should you need anything for a future reservation.

Shelby Township, Michigan, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

The Whitehall Hotel was our home in CHicago for two days in June while I did business; my wife and I stayed for a couple of extra nights afterward. As a fairly seasoned traveler, I was impressed by The Whitehall Hotel. Once a club, the handsome historical building serves as a very intimate boutique hotel. What's more, the quality of the staff and the service they provide was of a very high order indeed. They all seem to have been selected for kindness and a willingness to be of help, and as a result, there was not the slightest hint of indifference that characterizes a stay in large chain hotels, even those with a good reputation.

The room was fastidiously clean and beautifully furnished; the presence of two different restaurants on-site made for convenience, and the location could not be more convenient. Yet, the street below was relatively peaceful.

Outstanding and worth special mention were the doormen and the porters. They were friendly, kind, and practically falling over themselves to be of help. Their welcome, and later farewell when we left was a nice touch.

We were glad we chose this fine hotel as our home for a few days in Chicago, and as such are very confident in recommending it to anyone looking for a first-class experience without the stratospheric prices of many more well-known hotels.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear BK48315,

Thank you for your kind comments in your review of our hotel. I feel we are blessed to have such wonderful staff members that look to bend over backwards in taking care of our guests and I am glad you were able to experience their wonderful "can do" attitude. I was especially happy to see that the front door staff exemplified our wonderful service and I will be sure to give them an extra thank you for their efforts. I will also be sure to do the same for our housekeepers as they are usually the forgotten ones, but always do an excellent job with cleaning the rooms.

Thank you again for your kind comments and I do hope you come back and visit with us at the Whitehall. We look forward to you staying with us again.

The Whitehall Hotel

Been to The Whitehall Hotel? Share your experiences!