“EXCELLENT RATIO QUALITY and PRICE” 5 of 5 stars
Review of MileNorth, A Chicago Hotel

Save Saved
You added MileNorth, A Chicago Hotel to your Saves list
MileNorth, A Chicago Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   166 East Superior Street, Chicago, IL 60611 (Formerly Affinia Chicago) (Near North Side)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Up to 20% Off Your Stay!
Ranked #39 of 169 Hotels in Chicago
Turin, Italy
“EXCELLENT RATIO QUALITY and PRICE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I have been in this hotel in July 2014. The Hotel is not very big but the hall and the reception are quite confortable and nice. The personnel is very polite and the procedures for check in very fast. The room was excellent: large, clean and with good air conditioning. The bed was very confortable and the toilette had a large shower. Free wifi both in the room and in the hall. The gym was not a big one, but equipped enough for a good workout. I didn't have the occasion to try the restaurant and the roof bar. Avoid the bar in the reception: very expensive. The position of the hotel is spectacular: 5 minutes walking from the magnificent mile and the water tower. In addition it is absolutely close to Northwestern University and several Hospitals of the same University. The ratio between quality and price considering services and position in dowtown Chicago is excellent.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Nicole R, Manager at MileNorth, A Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2014
Hello RobyRamone,

Thank you for sharing your favorite features and amenities of your recent stay at MileNorth Hotel on Trip Advisor. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your visit and received an excellent experience. We look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in Chicago!

Steven Ellingsen | General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Lawrenceville, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

I LOVE the Mile North Hotel! The rooms are tastefully decorated and spacious. The hotel staff are all very friendly and helpful. There is a Starbucks in the lobby and Gino's East pizza right next door. It is convenient to shopping and major transportation. Wish all hotels could be like this one...I highly recommend it!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Nicole R, General Manager at MileNorth, A Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Hello Daisy,

Steven Ellingsen | General Manager
Canyon Lake, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

The first room they put us in had a broken AC. It took 4 phone calls for them to come look at it. Maintenance "fixed" it for 20 minutes and it went out again. They would not move us so we sweated in bed on Night #1 in Chicago. The 2nd day we were moved to another room which also had AC problems. We sweated on Night #2 in Chicago. They "fixed" it on Day #3. Nights #3 &4 were fine. They insulted us by trying to "make-up" with drink coupons. We have kids and did not drink. They then tried to charge us an extra $20 Hotel Service Fee upon checkout which I did not pay. I asked to speak to the Manager on Duty, he was busy. I asked them to have him call me, which he did not do. He also did not return my e-mails. We will not be staying at MileNorth Chicago again.

Room Tip: Get a room with a working AC
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Hello Brad C,

Thank you for your input on your recent experience with us. I sincerely apologize that your experience with our staff and lack of response was less than stellar. Your feedback is very important to us and we are addressing your concerns. I welcome the opportunity to speak further about your personal experience. Please let me know if you would like to continue this conversation offline by contacting me directly at the below.

NY/NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

I am in Chicago at least once a month for the past 8 years and love most of it's hotels. But I needed a place last minute, so I stayed here for one night. While the hotel is clean with large rooms, my experience with their staff was horrific.

As usual, I prepaid for my room and upon check-in left a card for incidentals. To my dismay, they charged my card for a large amount, which caused an overdraft. It took me 5 calls to get the charge reversed and they did not cover the $35 overdraft fee for my card.

I mean, it's only $35, but this is just outright petty and laziness.

It is my hope that this was an isolated incident, but they did nothing to rectify a simple request. So the damage is done.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Hello KMKC08,

Thank you for your input on your recent experience with us. I sincerely apologize that your experience with our staff was less than stellar. Your feedback is very important to us and we are addressing your concerns. I welcome the opportunity to speak further about your personal experience. Please let me know if you would like to continue this conversation offline by contacting me directly at the below.

Santa Cruz, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

The good: Gorgeous rooftop bar with tasty appetizers. The hotel has an amazing location, just off Michigan Ave. Great views from the 16th floor! Mostly friendly staff.

The bad: We got a great deal on Jetsetter and were excited to be so close to Michigan Ave however, we were put up in a room on the 3rd floor that was horrible. The room was spacious, but the outside fan from 2 stories down was so loud, that when I was in bed, not only could I not sleep, but I couldn't even carry on a conversation with my boyfriend. The fan sound was around 45 decibels from the bed, it was even louder then the TV!! I can not believe that anyone would want to stay in that room. To make it worse, there was a view of the alley where deliveries arrived and a huge open trash container.

We called the front desk to ask for another room and they said they were sold out for the night and offered us "earplugs". I know they were just trying to be accommodating, but the way it was presented to us was not kind or well worded.

In our other interactions with people behind the desk, everyone was very friendly but not very knowledgeable about the city. My boyfriend and I asked for a way to see more of the Chicago (besides touristy stuff) and I was surprised that I was told to download an app because no one behind the desk could answer my question?!? I am all for crowd-sourcing, but someone working behind the desk should know about more then just Michigan Ave. and the most popular tourist destinations.

We got a new room (on the 16th floor) the next day and even though it had a nice view and was much quieter, it felt like a downgraded room. It was much smaller and the bathroom was not as nice. In addition, 1 of the 2 phones was broken, the safe was broken, the refrigerator wasn't working, there was not any soap in the shower dispenser, and no tea is provided in the room. It just wasn't well maintained. However, anything was better then the fan sound, so we didn't say anything.

I am rarely upset about a hotel room and I have never been upset with a room and as a result been downgraded. Even though the manager called while we were out, she did not follow up and the staff didn't apologize or offer anything to make our stay better. I know we got a deal on the room, but it just didn't feel like good customer service. I don't think I would go back.

Room Tip: Avoid anything on the first 7 floors.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello djnekokittie,

Thank you for your input on your recent experience with us. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the drinks, food and view at our new rooftop, 52EIGHTY Lounge. On a separate note, I sincerely apologize that your room and our staff experience was less than stellar. Your feedback is very important to us and we are addressing your concerns. I welcome the opportunity to speak further about your personal experience. Please let me know if you would like to continue this conversation offline by contacting me directly at the below.

Milwaukee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

My daughter and I frequently go to Chicago's Magnificent Mile shopping and stay over in Chicago. Last year we stayed at MileNorth and it was awesome. This year there were definitely some drawbacks. There was mold on the chalking in the bathroom and on the ceiling in the bathroom. Also, the elevators, you will wait, sometimes for a long time. There are 2 small elevators and over 20 floors. I loved it last time (except the elevators, forgot about that) but will try somewhere else next time. We did get Gino's pizza this time which is right next door and loved the deep dish!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Hello srichmond2008,

Thank you very much for visiting MileNorth Hotel and for sharing the details of your stay. Our culture is to ensure that we create the best experience for each and every one of our guests. We are disappointed that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. I have shared your review with my colleagues, so that we can pinpoint the misunderstanding and address this going forward.

If you would like to speak with me directly, please contact me at the below. I will also personally oversee your next reservation to ensure an excellent stay.

San Marcos, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

As others have said, the location of MileNorth is outstanding. Less than half a block from Michigan Ave, but on a relatively quiet side street. It should be noted that the hotel is directly across the street from Northwestern University's hospital, so there are a fair amount of sirens from ambulances going by on a pretty regular basis.

The good: The room was well kept and beautifully appointed. The furniture seemed newish, for the most part. There was an excellent functioning mini fridge, great for keeping leftover pizza for a quick breakfast the next day. The bathroom was clean and had newer fixtures. The coffee shop in the lobby was quick and the service was friendly.

The not-great: The mattress was awful. At minimum, it was 10-15 years old and poor quality besides. I could hear & feel the springs moving while we were laying down. By the end of our 4 night stay, my husband & I were sore getting up in the morning because of the poor quality mattress and feather pillows. The lighting in the bathroom was incredibly hard on the eyes, and it made putting on make up almost impossible. That, plus the red walls in the bathroom, made my skin a really weird color in my reflection.

The cable was out during our entire stay. It wasn't our intention to watch TV much, but it would've been nice to turn on the news in the morning & evening. When we brought up our dissatisfaction with staff, they said "Yeah, we're pretty sure it's out, and it might be the whole block." ..... Okay ... could you at least offer a newspaper or something?? There are only 2 check in/out people at the front desk, since that's all they have room for, so beware if checking in & out at peak times.

All in all, a marginal hotel at best. I definitely wouldn't stay again, especially not for almost $200/night.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello Elizabeth,

Thank you for your input on your recent experience with us. We are happy you enjoyed your stay and found our Barista Bar convenient. I sincerely apologize that some of your room amenities were less than stellar. Your feedback is very important to us and we are addressing your concerns. I welcome the opportunity to speak further about your personal experience. Please let me know if you would like to continue this conversation offline by contacting me directly at the below.

312-787-6000

Been to MileNorth, A Chicago Hotel? Share your experiences!