“Good but not great” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Los Angeles, California
“Good but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011

The hotel is in an amazing location, easy to walk to some of the best parts of the city. Really comfortable bed and very nice bathroom. Views from the room are wonderful.

I had a few issues though:

*Getting to and from rooms requires two elevator trips. The lobby of the hotel is on the 7th floor of the building. Other hotels with similar set ups (Mandarin in NY) have elevators all the way to the street level. This hotel doesn't.

*Cell phone reception is limited in the rooms. I have Verizon and had 1 bar in my room, my friend had AT&T and she also had one bar in her room. When I stayed at the Elysian (two blocks away), I didn't have this problem.

*The CD player alarm went off in the middle of the night I hadn't set the alarm. On checkout, I told the receptionist who didn't seem to care too much.
Also, it's 2011, not 1999, why do you have a CD player and not an ipod dock?

Room Tip: get a lake view room
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
FSChicago, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, April 18, 2011
Dear pavlovsdawg,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We appreciate all guest feedback we receive, and from this we are continually able to improve our services and product. I am pleased to read you enjoyed the location, room amenities and views! It is of course with great concern that I have learned that we did not meet your expectations on more than one account and definitely take your feedback into consideration. I welcome you to contact me directly at denise.flanders@fourseasons.com so that we may speak in greater depth about your experience and how we can improve. I hope we will have the opportunity welcome you back to Four Seasons Hotel Chicago.

Denise Flanders

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

My wife, 8-year old son and I stayed for a week at the Four Seasons in Chicago. We had a fantastic experience. Our room was quite large with a tremendous view. The location of the hotel was smack in the middle of the magnificent mile. The pool and health club were outstanding facilities. The Four Seasons staff provided exceptional service. I can't imagine a better hotel in Chicago!

Room Tip: Spring break is off season so bargains abound.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
FSChicago, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, April 6, 2011
Dear jdwdst,

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent stay with us on Trip Advisor. I am so pleased to read that you had a wonderful time with your family and enjoyed the views, pool, facilities, and getting acquainted with our staff! I look forward to the opportunity to personally welcome you back on your next stay in the city.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

We can't convey how impressed we are with the Four Seasons Chicago. Every interaction with staff, from the doorman, front desk, concierge, restaurant hostess, waiter, etc. was exceptional.

Our incredible travel agent, Ivonne Chacon of www.whatahotel.com had helped arrange a wonderful surprise in our room - a beach party complete with palm tree, beach ball and coconut drinks. This made our spring break!

I had Ivonne book our return trip before we checked out! We had a fabulous time at this great family-friendly hotel.

Dear shoprdoc,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback of your recent stay at Four Seasons Hotel Chicago. We appreciate your wonderful comments about our Hotel and the service levels you experienced with our staff! We hope to welcome you back on your future stays in Chicago. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the Spring Break surprise in your room and certainly look forward to personally welcoming you and your family back to Four Seasons Hotel Chicago in the very near future.

United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2011

We were thrilled with the Four Seasons Chicago. This was truly a perfect experience from the minute we stepped out of the car. Our 3 young children were treated like royalty. We had forgotten our stroller. No problem! We were supplied with a loaner stroller. Everyone was very child-friendly. We ate in the lounge outside Seasons several evenings. The food was good and the waiter accommodating. My daughter proclaimed the hot chocolate better than in Paris. The location is perfect for shopping and exploring museums. We have already booked our return stay!

Dear gjborca,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay! I delighted to read you enjoyed your time with us and that you would recommend your experience to other travelers. My colleagues and I appreciate your kind remarks regarding the quality of our service, hotel, and of course the hot chocolate in Seasons Lounge! We always aim to be family friendly and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our amenities for children. Please do let us know when you are returning to Chicago, and I look forward to personally welcoming you back in the near future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2011

Checking out of room 3127 today after three nights and pleased to do so. This room and presumably all others above and below it suffers from the sound of constantly running water, rather as if the toilet cistern was constantly flushing.

No response from our initial complaint but after following this up we were eventually offered a room change. Unwisely opted for earplugs instead of taking that option and suffered another disturbed night.

Very different from our previous Four Seasons experience.

In my view this is unacceptable for a five star hotel.

• Stayed March 2011
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2011

This is a really excellent hotel. The rooms are large, clean and well equipped. The location is central. The food in the restaurant is very good and the bar has a nice warm atmosphere. The staff are friendly and very helpful.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
FSChicago, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, March 31, 2011
Dear PJW22,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay with us! We love hearing your feedback, and very much appreciate your kind remarks regarding our staff and facilities. I look forward to having the opportunity to personally welcome you back to Four Seasons Chicago in the near future.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

after three nights at the peninsula, i ended up staying another night because the weather was crappy, and i have traveled enough times between NYC and chicago to know that any little hiccup in the weather will affect all flights, especially the last one out. as a result, i decided to stay another night, but this time at the four seasons, as i was able to procure a better rate than the peninsula (the peninsula was cheaper with the third night free option, but another night would have resulted in the full rate).

i wish i could say that the four seasons is in the same category, but it isn't. the rooms are smaller (i had an upgraded room at the four seasons, but an entry-level room at the peninsula), though with much better views because of the height of the hotel.

i found the service at the peninsula to be exemplary in every way--the four seasons was not nearly as good. as i write this, it's been 30 minutes since waiting for two bottles of water from housekeeping after missing my turndown service (i had the "privacy please" sign outside the door). i would not be surprised if it took another 30 minutes to get the two complimentary bottles of water. good thing i didn't ask for ice, too.

the rooms are nice enough here, but after three nights at the peninsula, it was a letdown. the rooms here are smaller, and the bathroom is a little too compact. the toilet is right next to the shower/tub, whereas in the peninsula they are in two separate compartments with their own doors.

the design of the shower is not great. the water pressure was much better here than in the peninsula, with much better control over the temperature, but the two doors that kept the water in the shower and off the floor did not serve the purpose well, and you had the floor covered in water. not a big deal, normally, but again, the toilet is right next to the shower, so your feet are covered in cold water as you use the toilet.

also, the TV is much smaller, though most channels are in HD and much better quality than the peninsula, where the TV is larger, but many channels are not HD.

as another reviewer pointed out, the design of this hotel is such that it sways and creaks when you have a windy night (common in chicago). so as i write this review, the building is creaking, and it's hard to tune out. now, i understand the hotel discloses this on some card or correspondence, but i don't see it in the room, and the idea of earplugs, while nice, doesn't help me because i am afraid i would oversleep as a result of them.

the views here are spectacular, though, so that is a plus, and it is still a better hotel than most other places i stayed.

as far as five-star properties in chicago, though, the peninsula is still top in my book. the trump is great as far as facilities, but the whole building is non-smoking, so that's a minus for me. the four seasons and peninsula have smoking rooms, which is nice because sometimes all i wanna do is light up a cigar at the end of the day.

i know the four seasons takes their work seriously, so i do plan to address this with management.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
FSChicago, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, March 22, 2011
Dear andergtr,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and I regret that your stay did not live up to your expectations. You are correct that we do value and take guest comments seriously so I would love the opportunity to speak with you further about your stay. Please feel free to contact me directly via phone at 312-649-2300 or send your contact information to me at denise.flanders@fourseasons.com and I will reach out to you. I look forward to hearing from you.

We certainly want to welcome you back in the future as I am confident our staff can exceed your expectations for a memorable stay.

Kind regards,

Denise Flanders, General Manager
Four Seasons Hotel Chicago
312-280-2300, denise.flanders@fourseasons.com

Been to Four Seasons Hotel Chicago? Share your experiences!