“Say HI Chicago!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hostelling International Chicago

You added Hostelling International Chicago to your Saves list
Hostelling International Chicago
1.5 of 5 Hostel   |   24 E. Congress Pkwy., South Loop, Chicago, IL 60605 (The Loop)   |
wever ia
“Say HI Chicago!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Good location and clean. Subway rattles by outside. Nicer than New York. Free breakfast. Looks to be converted hotel. Ten minutes to lakefront, in summer, maybe fifteen to museum campus. Easy access to subway, including travel to either airport.

Room Tip: Can't choose room.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Korean first
Oak Ridge, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

The stay was good but some of the staff needed some attitude adjustment. If you need something fixed (like refiling soap/shampoo in bathroom) one has to wait for the housekeeper to come next morning. They would not offer an alternate arrangement. The WiFi never worked since it did not have enough capacity. Very noisy in the night.

Room Tip: Very noisy in the night on Congress Street side.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
Woodbridge, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

First time at a hostel, and very impressed! Easy to get to: take the CTA from O'Hare, and get off at LaSalle. Clean, updated installations, great location! Fall out of bed and into the loop, right after the complimentary breakfast. Would recommend!

Room Tip: Take some earplugs in case there is a snorer in the room, and the L is pretty loud at night.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

One of the best hostels I have been to! Excellent location ..just mins from the Union Station & the Greyhound station. I easily walked to all of the top attractions. The rooms & bathrooms were awesome ..very spacious, comfortable and clean. The breakfast was quite busy & I couldn't find a lot of options when I was late. Would definitely come back again!

• Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I was here for 7 days during Thanksgiving week 2014. I will try and present a fair and balanced review.

Pros
1. GREAT location, centrally located
2. Staff was nice and helpful
3. Post checkout storage was much appreciated
4. The Thanksgiving dinner was very good and the dining room is the warmest place in the building!

CONS
1. The housekeeping staff needs to up the ante- Floor was not vacuumed for days, banana peeling under the bed. I had to request attention to this multiple times before something was done. Under the beds need more attention.
2. The blankets ARE NOT WASHED after each guest, I watched housekeeping staff fold them and put them back on the beds- YUCK!!!
I noticed that check out beds were not cleaned until days later, one girl had to go down stairs b/c her assigned bed was not clean, despite being evacuated days ago. I got to see A LOT over my 7 day stay!
3.As an avid recylcer, I took this personally- I observed a house keeper empty all three
wastebaskets into one bag including the recycle. MAJOR OFFENCE to me!
4. Both POSTED happy hours scheduled for that week were cancelled despite staff ASSURING me the second one would be put on my a staff member not a volunteer. I missed the Navy Pier tour due to this. Management needs to have better options when it comes to posted activities taking place IN the hostel. I had to call the front desk and REQUEST that they post a note of the cancellation as people were congregating it expecting it to occur.
5. There are only cheese slices, cream cheese and creamy peanut butter for protein options at breakfast. If you are into high carb and sugar the breakfast is the way to go.
6.Lack of showers- I ended up going to the 5th floor for a shower at 11pm b/c the TWO stalls on my floor was full. Front desk said this was not allowed, I had no choice!
7. The 3rd floor kitchen needs to be better stocked with simple things like a electric or mounted can opener. Also had to request multiple times that we be supplied dish liquid to wash our dishes and counter etc. There are no free food labels provided.

HI Chicago could be an excellent hostel with some MUCH NEEDED improvement. I will stay there again but will as I did this time voice my concerns and make my needs known.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
HI-Chicago, Manager at Hostelling International Chicago, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Karen,
Thank you for your observations and input. Here at HI Chicago we strive to do our best to provide a great experience for all our guests. With your feedback we can learn from our mistakes and strive to do better. We will look at the areas where we are lacking and use this as continued training for our staff to improve upon. We look forward to the opportunity to host you again on your next visit to Chicago.
Best,
HI Chicago Management
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We were looking for affordable group accommodations for a long weekend trip to Chicago and decided to try out the hostel. I have fond memories of traveling through Europe 20 years ago and staying at hostels, but after a horrible experience at a hostel in Mexico, was a bit nervous to try it out all these years later. It turned out to be just what we were looking for! One of the best things about this hostel is the location. You are so close to everything and we never took a cab the whole time we were downtown. We were close to museums, food, the parks, everything! Our rooms had 4 bunk beds and slept 8. There is a small shower, toilet room, and double sink. There are outlets next to all the beds for device charging and reading lights. There isn't much "extra", but for a weekend trip, there isn't much else you really need. Breakfast was just fine, there are lots of places to eat nearby, and more importantly, everyone felt like it was a safe and clean place to stay. I wouldn't be hesitant at all to bring a group of kids here. Have fun!

Room Tip: It can be loud with the trains and emergency vehicles, might want to bring noise canceling headphone...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The hostel is located downtown, if you don't want to use the bus/metro, you can. They have a good breakfast, until 10pm. The beds are pretty comfortable, the rooms have good space, I stayed in a 8 bed room. I felt safe inside the hostel, to use the elevator you need to swipe your key card, the rooms have lockers, you will need to bring your own lock pad. The area is safe, I walked around the hostel without any concern. The service is really good, all employees want to help you. I would recommend it to any friend and if I need to go to Chicago again, HI will be my first option. The only struggle is the WiFi inside the rooms, they are inconstant and slow, but at the lobby was fast enough for good Skype calls.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled solo

Been to Hostelling International Chicago? Share your experiences!