“Beware - not 4 STAR” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Swissotel Chicago

You added Swissotel Chicago to your Saves list
Swissotel Chicago
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   323 East Upper Wacker Drive, Chicago, IL 60601 (The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #64 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Kansas City
“Beware - not 4 STAR”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2007

Here are the only reasons you should stay at Swissotel in Chicago, if you like:
1 - Hard Beds
2 - Small rooms
3 - Bugs and hairs (not yours) on your bed
4 - Someone else's mascara stain on your blanket
5 - $6.00 bottled water
7 - Construction sights next to your hotel
8 - Going to another floor for ice
9 - Mold/limescale pn the shower (? not sure what it was - I didn't bring my chemistry set).

Absolutely disappointed in this place. I over paid and was overly displeased!!

On the good side - the bellmen were nice and there is a good view from the pool/fitness center area. But we won't stay there for that.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The beds
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cary, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2007

I stayed at the Swissotel for a business trip the first week of Aug 2007. I arrived late the first night and got shoved into a hospitality room the first night. However, this was more than made up when after a strong talk they assigned me a corner room on the 28th floor. EXCELLENT view of the city, river and Lake Michigan. In fact, I would say the corner room of the Swissotel has a better view than any other hotel in the vicinity. The room was huge, and everything was clean and the bathroom was nice.

The hotel is very convieniently located to the Magnificient Mile and Millenium Park. Would very much recommend this hotel, and would suggest trying every method possible to get a corner room in a higher floor.

• Liked — View, Room Size
  • Disliked — The corner room is spectacular, but I almost didnt get that..
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
CanyonTX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2007

This was our first visit to Chicago and we booked the hotel through Travelzoo. We did get a good price but would have been very disappointed if we would have paid regular price. The mattresses were HORRIBLE. After walking Chicago, the bed was of no comfort. No vending machines of any kind if you wanted a soda--only minibar in room--$6.00 for water.

At checkin, the staff never made eye contact and only went through the motions.

Would not stay there again!!!

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Beds
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2007

I got a great rate through Hotwire.com and was thrilled when I found out this was the hotel I picked. The hotel was very convenient to where I needed to go, and despite the weather (yes, it is windy there!) we still had a great time.

I found the restaurant (The Palms) to be over rated, which was my only negative experience. It was not formal, but had formal prices, and didn't have mashed potatoes, which for me is a requirement of any great steakhouse! That's just a personal preference, but one that mattered to me!

The rooms were sleek and cool - great views. Front desk was efficient and nice. Bell staff was attentive and available.

Valet parking was a plus.

Ordered breakfast through room service, which was great and on-time.

Would definitely recommend this hotel and will hopefully stay there again.

• Liked — ease of check-in
  • Disliked — The Palms
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2007

We stayed five nights at Swissotel Chicago and loved every minute of it! It has gorgeous views of the river and lake and is close to pretty much anything. We were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go - Navy Pier, Sears Tower, Grant Park, Museum Campus, Hancock Center, Michigan Avenue - you name it. The service was awesome. From the moment we checked in, the staff was courteous and meet every need, including arranging for a crib for our daughter and making sure it was safely set up before leaving our room. The pool was also really nice and, since it's at the top of the hotel, offered even more gorgeous views of the city and lake. We got a great deal ($109 a night), which we booked as a special through travelzoo. The room service was a little expensive but very good. The concierge was wonderful with giving us accurate directions to attractions as well as recommendations for restaurants. I hope we can stay at the Swissotel every time we visit Chicago!

• Liked — Location and service
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Nashville, TN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2007

I requested a room with a nice view when I checked in and was told that our room overlooked Grant park. Our room did overlook the park for a small area in between two buildings. 90% of our view was construction of a new building. I would not have had a problem with this except the clerk misled me into thinking our view was as good as the other side of the building. The clerk also failed to give us a free breakfast voucher ($50.00 value) for the next morning which was part of the package purchased by my company. We were with a large group and they told us about the great breakfast later the next day. I asked another clerk for a breakfast voucher for our second morning and she gave me one with no offer of compensation for the one not given to us.

The internet did not work in our room and I called the front desk who transfered my call through an 800 number. The frist call was unanswered and I called again in about 15 minutes. We worked though the issues and got the internet going. I found that I was charged for these two calls on my bill and had to have the clerk remove the charges. The hotel charges for internet service.

The bar is the most expensive I have seen in a hotel. My wife drank one bottle of water ( small about 16oz.) and we were charged $6.00.

I send an email about the voucher to Swissotel customer service when I returned home and did not receive a response.

The room was average and was clean the first day. We discovered that our room was not cleaned the second day of our stay but it was 11PM when we returned from our day out and did not complain.

The best part of our stay was the fitness center. They have a great pool plus several machines. The view from the fitness center was fantastic.

Overall, I would not recommend this hotel and will not stay there again.

• Liked — fitness center
  • Disliked — customer service
  • Stayed July 2007
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sun City, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2007

My 3 nieces and I stayed here for a long weekend, we had a wonderful time. We arrived early around 8:30am and they let us into our room. This was very nice otherwise we would have had to store our luggage and register later

Room was very clean as was the bathroom. With 4 women we needed extra towels, they brought them up right away and then we got a call to make sure they were delivered. Room was also quiet, construction going on behind us and we never heard anything.

Beds comfy and so were the quilts...

Good location for Michigan Ave. All in all a wonderful stay. Would return.

• Liked — Safe
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Swissotel Chicago? Share your experiences!