“Incredible View” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #55 of 168 hotels in Chicago
Fort Worth, Texas
“Incredible View”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We spent the night there for our anniversary. Since we took the train into town, we arrived about 11 am. We expected to check our bags and go on. They let us into our room early. We had reserved a corner room and it was well worth the price. One side had a wall of windows showing downtown and the river. The other side a wall of windows showing Lake Michigan. The room was very comfortable. Staff was very helpful. Breakfast buffet was very good but is quite expensive.

Room Tip: Choose a corner room with view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

2,008 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Crest Hill, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed there sat feb 16 me and my wifes bdays are both on valentines day so we were trying to have a nice night together. I had my 2 older brothers and theyre gf.s come to the hotel we had reservations at the restraunt downstairs. So when they got there my brother called me saying i had to come downstairs to show them my room key which was no problem. So i go down there and there was 1 member of the staff i didnt catch his name but he was tall with red hair and very young. He told me i could only have 4 people in the room mind i did pay for a 800 sq ft suite it was huge. So he continues to argue with me while i am calmy talking to him like an adult saying that were not throwing a party there. he was saying this isnt that type of hotel i dnt know what me meant by that. stood up in my face and said "what do u wanna do" at that point i decided that this guy was completly incompetent and had absolutly no people skills and didnt even who he talking to on top of all that and possibly trying to start a fight with me. So i ended the entire night my family drove back to iowa thats another story they wasted an entire days trip 4 this. And my and my wife basically sat in the room angry as can be. swissotels rude staff ruind me and my wifes birthday and valentines day. I would never recommend this hotel to anybody worst valentines day and bday of my life!!

• Stayed February 2013
Alp A, Manager at Swissotel Chicago, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Jrobin8569,

Thank you very much for your review of your recent stay – we regret to learn that you were not satisfied with the overall experience in our hotel. We have conducted a detailed investigation based on the information provided during our telephone conversation as well as the subsequent comments on the Tripadvisor portal.

We take feedback like yours seriously, interviewed all related team members and reviewed our visual recordings to verify your allegations. We reviewed the CCTV footage several times and could not find anything that would support your allegations. The footage does not suggest that our security personnel used any offensive gestures or tried to start a fight as described in your review.

Furthermore, we understand from our investigation that the total amount of customers intending to stay in your room that night would have exceeded permitted numbers of guests in a room based on local Chicago fire codes and thus we had to restrict the entry of additional guests to your room while performing random key checks at the lobby level.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused to you and your family and hope for your kind understanding that we are required to adhere to local laws in order to guarantee the safety and security of external and internal customers alike.

Nevertheless, it is our aim to provide the highest standards in guest service and customer communication. We have reviewed your comments with our entire security team to ensure that our actions are appropriate, showing the required compassion towards any situation that is unusual and not meeting the expectation of our customers. Please be rest assured that we will further emphasize on related trainings.

We would be glad discussing this issue further if you would be interested to learn more about our efforts to improve on our services.

Sincerely yours,

Swissotel Chicago Management
Bloomington, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

My wife, 7 year old and I spent two nights in a corner lifestyle suite in early December for what is becoming our annual Holiday trip to the Christkindlmarkt on Daley Plaza. We arrived around noon and our room wasn't ready so we dropped our bags with the bellman. All staff was very nice, helpful and attentive.

The room was nice-a corner suite with a sectional sleeper sofa for our daughter and a great view out two sides of the triangular building. Since the last time we stayed here someone has built a building right next door spoiling the views directly of the Lake-because of that I'd make sure to get a view out the north side if given the choice-there's nothing between the hotel and the river. The room was long rather than a big square, which gave some nice spacing to areas of the space. It was very big and comfortable. The bath/shower in the master bath was very big and easy to deal with. Only complaint would be the very modern, small & thin wastebaskets placed in spots in the room-theme appropriate but a little goofily small.

We ate at the breakfast buffet as part of the room rate and it was a very nice buffet-the room itself was nothing special in the basement, but the selections were varied and interesting-Sunday was Spanish day. They had smoked salmon, good cold cuts (a peppered salami and a couple other choices, not just average pepperoni or summer sausage) and selections of all your other basics, but all very good-thick bacon, big sausages, eggs, potatoes, vegetables, and also pastries, cereals, etc. One of the better breakfast buffets I've been to-not your average soggy scrambled eggs & hash browns.

We has one issue while there that was a minor situation but I liked how the staff handled it. As part of the room rate we received buffet vouchers that said "tip is included", but when I got the bill at breakfast I made sure to tip appropriately on the bill to my room (the gentleman was very helpful and attentive on Sat AM-Sun not as much because they were slammed and clearly understaffed). Later I called the front desk to mention that the tip was appearing on my room bill despite the voucher. The woman asked me to please bring the voucher to the front desk when leaving again as the vouchers are supposed to say "tip NOT included". When she saw mine she was baffled and copied it and said they'd take it off my bill. I appreciated the gesture but told her that I wanted to make sure the gentleman got the tip as he was very good to us so ultimately we were charged for it, but at my request-the important part to me was that they recognized the odd error and did not attempt to skate by, it only at my insistence did they leave the charge (and hopefully made sure the waiter got it!).

I'd definitely recommend the Swissotel.

Stayed December 2012
Alp A, Front Office Manager at Swissotel Chicago, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for your kind review regarding your recent visit at our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back next year!

Regards,

Becky Hott
Assistant Front Office Manager
rebecca.hott@swissotel.com
Fishers, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I've stayed here on several occasions and I loved each stay! I always have asked for a Lakeview room and have always been accommodated. Besides the view, the staff has always been great with an request. The location puts you within walking distance of the mile and still gives you the Lake and River views. The rooms are huge with wonderful windows & views. I would recommend The Swiss to anyone!

Room Tip: request a high room or suite with a lake or river view....
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Janesville, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My Family reserved a junior suite at the Swissotel Chicago on 40th floor. We came to town to go to the Shedd Aquarium and wanted to stay in a high rise with great views of the city. Well we got what we paid for. These rooms are super clean and updated with an unbelievable view of the city at night. Make sure to get a room plus parking pakage when you make your reservation because otherwise it is 58 bucks to park! The hotel management was very accommodating and Brenard the Concierge was just super nice and gave a lot of great tips and places to eat including a pass that gave us 25 bucks off at the Wildfire restaurant downtown. My girls are 11 and 4 and they had a blast in that room. So worth my money and I would highly recommend the Swissotel to everyone!

Room Tip: The Junior Suite was a great room for the price make sure when you reserve you get a room + parking...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

I stay here a lot for work. Its a great hotel. Good restaurants. Love the waffles.

I also stay just a little but down the street at another famous hotel. It is a little closer to everything else and a little cheaper. The third hotel near by is very nice too.

All in all you'll be happy with this place.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear DrDan1869,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay in our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back and having the opportunity to make your stay more enjoyable. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can assist to ensure your next visit to be more comfortable and enjoying.

Regards,

Becky Hott
Assistant Front Office Manager
rebecca.hott@swissotel.com
Rhodes Town, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We found this hotel very nice. We got a room on high floor (i don't remember which though, i think 23). It was always clean. Room service is excellent as well as the breakfast, but way too expensive. The location is perfect. 20 minutes walk from the city centre and just 5 minutes walk from the millenium park.

I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Swissotel Chicago? Share your experiences!