“Okay - average” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #61 of 169 Hotels in Chicago
St. Anne, Illinois
“Okay - average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed at this hotel in November while attending the Illinois School Board Conference. Unfortunately it was held during the same time the holiday parade in downtown Chicago was. It was overcrowded. The room was pretty good and our view was great. We did however, get locked out of our room when the keypad died on our door. It took security and the manager over 30 minutes to help us into our room. Breakfast was okay. We waited for the valet to get our car for over an hour. If I stay here again, I will not be staying at the same time of the year. I did see the lighted parade from our room and that was very nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Alp A, Front Office Manager at Swissotel Chicago, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear VickiVitaleMorse,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments and I am happy to understand you have enjoyed the comfort and location of your room. However please accept my apologies for the technical issues and service delays you have experienced. We are continuously working on improvement for door locks and we are getting immediate action regarding parking organization. Please let me know whenever I can assist further.

alp.akyuz@swissotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lebanon, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

This is a great hotel! VERY child friendly which we really appreciated. The kids got a book and crayons at check in, and by the time we left several of the staff knew us. We got a free upgrade to a Lakeside view, and it was beautiful! Great view of Navy Peir and Lake Michigan, the kids really loved being up on the 38th floor! They serve starbucks coffee at the bar, which was a plus for us. We didn't use the pool, but would have loved to have had the chance. Just a tip on parking, you can park a couple of blocks away for half the price of what the hotel charges! And, the staff were more than happy to keep our luggage at the hotel after we had checked out free of charge until we were ready to go back to our car.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Norton Shores, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Another try at another hotel in Chicago this past week.

I tried this one...I was interested in the title and from the website. I got an okay rate, so I booked.

The room view was awesome. The room itself was okay. Bed and linens were a scratchy and pillows were so fluffy I had a difficult time falling asleep. I ended up putting towel underneath the pillows for stability.

I was here three nights. I used their workout facility, which was okay. Nothing super spectacular at all, but was okay.

Noticed the pool and hot tub, but did not use.

Room service menu was ridiculously overpriced and that was not used.

The in house restaruant and bar, again, overpriced. On average the restaraunt was about $20-30 a dish. Not in my budget.

Had issues with the heating and cooling system. Put the room at 65 for the three nights and barely moved. Made mention to the staff about it and nothing was ever done. Kind of a disappointment.

If you are alone, as I was on this trip, it was okay. I won't bring my family there when we visit Chicago again.

Room Tip: Ask to get a view of the City.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear ABuikema.

Thank you very much for sharing the detailsof your experience at our hotel and I am happy to understand that you have enjoyed many of our facilities and services.

I regret to learn that we were not able to resolve the inconvenience with air conditioning to your satisfaction during the stay. We are getting immediate action to correct any issues and to avoid similar situation in the future.

Thank you also for highlighting the menu prices and I would like to kindly ensure you that this is indeed the best value and price offer. We will stil consider your kind opinion during our future revisions.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if I can assist further.

Hampshire, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

My husband and I booked two rooms on 12/23 at fantastic rates through Bookit. We wanted to show our teen nieces the beautiful city of Chicago. When we arrived at the hotel and decided to upgrade to a suite. No suites were ready when we arrived...we were told it would be ready at 1:00 as they would put a rush on it to get it cleaned. No problem, we dropped our luggage and headed to the Aquarium.

(1). We returned at around 4:00 only to be told the room STILL wasn't ready...another 15-20 minutes. For our trouble we were given tickets for free drinks in the bar while we waited. The girls seemed ok with the idea and sipped their sodas while we enjoyed adult beverages.

The suite...one of the nicest suites my husband and I have EVER stayed in! WOW doesn't describe it! It had to have been 50 ft. long with two bathrooms! The girls' room adjoined ours and they loved the city sights from 32 floors up...especially the Christmas lights.

(2). We received the bill in the morning on it was over $32 of items purchased from the convenience store off the lobby. Yet I had only purchased a $5 bottle of water. Called the front desk to enquire. The clerk began reading off the purchases...none of which we had bought! So for our trouble, he not only removed those charges but the charge for the water, too.

(3). We had received a breakfast voucher for a full breakfast buffet. But due to the holidays, the buffet wasn't available, so we were able to order anything from the menu. Great! Except my husband ordered an omelet with Swiss cheese and veggies. Instead, he received a clump of scrambled eggs. He sent back his meal and it was replaced quickly with an actual omelet ... with cheddar cheese. How ironic that the Swissotel couldn't get my husband's Swiss cheese omelet right! The girls also ordered hot chocolate, which was finally delivered right at the end of the meal.
If the meal had not been free, we would have complained.

Yes, there was quite a bit of disorganization. However the Swissotel came through in every issue. They were very accommodating and friendly. I can't say what caused the disorganization; hopefully just a fluke. Would we stay again? YES!

Room Tip: Corner suite was floor to ceiling windows for a gorgeous view from anywhere!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Slp322,

Thank you very much for sharing the details of your experience at Swissotel Chicago. I am happy to learn that you have enjoyed the comfort of your room as well as the view of the view.

Once again our apologies for the unexpected service shortfalls. Although we worked to resolved them to your satisfaction, I understand your kind suggestion about better organization which we wil surely focus on in the future.

Please do not hesitate to contact me upon your next visit if you need any assistance.

Milwaukee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

We got a great deal on a room at the Swissôtel Chicago and were not disappointed. We were checked in quickly and the staff was extremely welcoming.

We found our room just right -- nothing over-the-top, but very nice considering we were travelers on a budget. We had a nice view of Navy Pier and also enjoyed the separated shower/tub in the bathroom. We also took advantage of the pool and hot tub on the 42nd floor -- a great way to warm up on a rainy, chilly afternoon!

When we approached the staff at the reception area for dinner recommendations, they were more than happy to list a few options in our budget/food preferences and also gave us a map with their locations marked.

The check-out process was quick and easy: a receipt had already been delivered under the door in the wee hours of the morning, and we simply had to return our keys at the reception. We had a good few hours left to explore the city, and we had no problem getting our bags held at the reception for the day.

Overall, we had a great stay at the Swissôtel Chicago, found the price very reasonable and the service great. We'll definitely keep it in mind for future visits!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Meghan M,

Thank you very much for choosoing Swissotel Chicago and your kind comments regarding your stay. Always our pleasure to serve you the best and looking forward to your return...

Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

I would like to start off by stating that I was able to acquire a very good price for this King Suite at just over $200. I hear the Swissôtel has these deals often enough. I got mine on Hotels.com.

Moving on to the experience. I was expecting a great one as the hotel seemed to be a higher end one. I was sorely disappointed. I had no issue at check-in but later that night I requested more sheets for my bed. 30 minutes later none had come. I called three more times but each time no one answered. As I was getting extremely tired I just went down stair to find a far-from-crowded lobby. This is truly unacceptable. Beyond that, the staff was very nice and helpful.

The hotel itself seems to be stuck in two different time periods. Obviously they have attempted to update it but is obvious that they did not do a full renovation. This continues up into the room as, for me, the wallpaper just seemed to date the place. Also in the bathroom off the living space, the vertical blinds (if not already dated enough as is) were faded except for one that had obviously been replaced and was shorter than the rest. The tile in the shower needed a new grout job and the toilet continued to run after I flushed it half the time. Beyond those issues the room felt very large and spacious. The King Suite has tons of window space with over 180 degrees of views. My room had views of the river, the Hancock Tower, Lake Michigan, and all other buildings off in those two directions. One negative was there is an office building that you could literally see directly into without an issue, so during the work week some of your window treatments may need to be closed. The room itself offered plenty of room for having people come over with a huge L-shaped couch which also pulls out into a good sized bed. In the living space is a nice LG TV hung on the wall. Also included in the main living space is a nice Bose sound system, a huge desk which would allow for a ton of space to spread out if you are working, a nice high table with two chairs, and plenty of closet space. The bedroom is a perfect size with the same kind of TV. A fair amount of storage and a very large bathroom.

A quick comment on the cleanliness, the bathrooms were all very clean and really as a whole, the room was clean except for the fact that there was hair in the shower, on a towel, and on my sheets. Not huge amounts but enough to make you wonder. If you are a total germ-a-fobe you may want to read and see if anyone else has had this issue.

Overall the hotel was pretty nice. The space itself is nearly unbeatable for the price. The room easily could accommodate four people. The views were also great. I would have given this hotel a perfect rating if they had just been more responsive to my request and had finished there updating! It would take very little to make the hotel totally up to date. If you can get a good deal, I would take it but if you are paying full price I would seek a different hotel.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear AlexM111,

Thank you very much for kindly sharing the details of your stay at Swissotel Chicago.

My most sincere apologies for not being able to respond timely to your request of additional items and we are getting immediate action to avoid similar errors in the future.

I would like to inform you that we have completed our lobby and meeting rooms' remodeling very recently. Just before that; remodeling of guest rooms were also completed. We also have renewed all the equipment in the Health Club and proud to offer our guests state of art fitness equipment. In the light of your kind opinion, we will surely look into the matters you have specified in your room and make necessary corrections at once.

Once again thank you for your visit and looking forward to welcome you again.

Greenbrae, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

My stay at the Swissotel was great. The hotel was very convenient to Navy Pier and Millenium Park. They have a great bar in the lobby. All the staff is very professional and helpful. The staff was very helpful in getting a taxi for you. My room was very nice and clean. Everything that I needed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Swissotel Chicago? Share your experiences!