“5 points out of 5!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Swissotel Chicago

You added Swissotel Chicago to your Saves list
Swissotel Chicago
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   323 East Upper Wacker Drive, Chicago, IL 60601 (The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #64 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Zurich, Switzerland
“5 points out of 5!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I am giving this hotel 5 points out of 5, for various reasons.
First of all, we travelled with a little child (1 year old) and she was really spoiled all the way. In her crib we found a small dolphin, a little fluffy squirrel and a cute doggy, which she couldn’t let out of her sight for the whole time we were in Chicago. Every morning when leaving the hotel and every evening upon returning, she got a smile and a nice word from the nice doorman in his nice uniform. She was delighted.
The bar in the renovated lobby can be quite noisy at times, but very funny to mingle with the people and watch a game or simply sip a cocktail, which were excellent. And despite the fact that we might not have experienced a “peak time”, we found the elevator system quite manageable by anyone with half a brain.
The hotel is a stunning triangular structure (mentioned by the guides if you take the highly recommendable Architectural boat tour), and we had a river facing room in the peak of the triangle, on a high floor, with a truly breathtaking view. Every morning, the sun would rise over the lake in our room and wake us up, it was truly magnificent. Speaking of which, the Mile of the same name is just a few minutes away by foot, so no need for any public transportation.
The only negative point I could register was the friendliness of the guy at the health/fitness centre. He couldn’t care less, and when we asked about the treatments, he simply pointed to the brochure on the counter.
The room was very clean, bright and all was working well. Bed linen are only changed on request, which complies with sustainability standards, and common sense. The bathroom in good shape and the shower delivered hot water at a steady pressure all the way.
On one evening we stayed in our room, watched a movie on the entertainment system and ordered room service. We were told to wait 30 minutes, which was exactly the time it took from ordering to the waiter knocking on our door. The portions (as we had to learn pretty standard in the states) are massive. We ordered a pasta for my wife (they cater for any type of dietary needs such as dairy-free without any problems) and a Club Sandwich for me… we could barely finish.
Concierge was very accommodating with any type of requests for tourist attractions, entry tickets, tours and general enquiry. The hospitality from Mr Akyuz, the Front Office Manager, was simply exemplary and we were well taken care of by everyone. Chicagoans are delightful people and a pleasure to talk to, super helpful all the way, and simply charming. The staff at Swissôtel Chicago is no exception.
Should I travel to Chicago again, I would without any doubt stay at Swissotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Alp A, Front Office Manager at Swissotel Chicago, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear Steph-Sing,

Thank you very much for taking your time to share your experience in detail and your kind compliments made the entire Swissotel Chicago team very happy. Now we will only work harder to ensure even better service in the future; and we will look into further training in regards to our services at the health club. Please do not hesitate to contact me whenver I can assist.

alp.akyuz@swissotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Global Traveler
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I stayed At the Swissotel several times this past summer, and all of the stays were great. Nice, quiet rooms, well-appointed. The staff is very attentive and helpful, although at certain peak times the hotel front desk is understaffed for an influx of check-ins or check-outs. It is a fairly busy hotel - plenty of energy humming.

The location couldn't be better: it's within walking distance of the Miracle Mile (to the north) and to Millennium Park and the Museum district to the south. Parking a car is very expensive anywhere in Chicago - it often costs more than the daily cost of the car rental - so I tend to cab it around.

The room service is pretty good, although with a pretty limited wine list available (swing buy Mariano's market and pick up a good bottle on your own). The Palm restaurant located in the hotel is very expensive and sort of old-fashioned; trying to be Sardi's without any charm. Definitely geared for the expense account crowd. There are many much better alternatives nearby. The little chocolate chip cookies available in the hotel gift shop are worth every penny (of which you will pay many) - but you will love them.

Try and get a waterfront room, it is worth the view of the river, Navy Pier and the Lake.The corner rooms facing the water are sublime. I booked my rooms on the Swissotel website...they often have really great internet-only deals available.

The hotel has a huge and nicely-equipped health club on the top floor, incredible views while working out.

A rant: the elevator system is horrible. It has a centralized input that directs you to an individual elevator. But if the elevator is full, you might not get a new elevator available to your floor for many minutes.There are no buttons inside individual lifts. It works (or rather, doesn't work) the same way descending or ascending. At peak times a trip to your room can take 30 minutes. And - since the hotel has a fair bit of convention business - peak times can be anytime during the day; when a conference let's out fro a break....bam, it's peak time. Walking up 36 floors isn't in my fitness program...but I did think about it more than a few times.

Check out 'Maison Brasserie' and Mariano's market nearby. Also 'The Gage' and 'Henri' restaurants on South Michigan. 'The Goat and the Girl" and 'Gilt' are also cool.

If you can get a good on-line the deal, the Swissotel is an unbeatable value. Even if you don't, the location, facilities, staff and ambiance make for a great stay.

Room Tip: Water view - corner water view best.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

This is a nice hotel. The reason I give it 3 stars is because (a) it's overpriced, (b) it's slightly aged, (c) it's a little walk (10-15 mins) for anything decent - restaurants, etc. and (c), I was less than impressed with the staff.
The restaurant is so-so, the lobby bar is so-so, and if you want to spend $$$ you can go over to the Palm Restaurant (in the lobby) to get overpriced steaks and drinks. I stay at a LOT of hotels, and at this level hotel I expect superior service and amenities, to me it was just an average business traveler hotel. Certainly not up to the standards it portrays itself to be.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Alp A, Front Office Manager at Swissotel Chicago, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear 3Gdude,

Thank you for kindly sharing your experience and we will surely consider your kind opinion during our future revisions. I regret to learn our services were not as impressive as expected. Indeed; genuine and friendly service is what we always aim for. Therefore we will further extend our efforts to ensure heartfelt guest service.

Front Office
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I enjoyed staying at this hotel, very comfy bed, very clean and great location at the heart of Chicago, close to all business conference places, walking distance to Navy Pierre, and less than 10 minuets to McCormick Place. I would very much stay there next time I'm in Chicago.

Dear Mamoun_Masarweh,

It is pleasure for our entire team to learn that you have enjoyed our facilities and services. Looking forward to welcome you again.

New York, New York, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I came here for a few days for a business conference that was in the hotel. I had originally made the reservation for Thurs - Sunday (departure day), however, when I had arrived at the hotel to check-in, I told the clerk that I would like to change my check-out to Saturday because there Hurricane Sandy was heading to my area and I would need to get home. He said he would make the change and when I went to check-out on Saturday at 11AM, I was told that the change was not made in the computer and I would still be charged for the 3rd night that I didn't stay. This is outrageous at how desparate they are for business. I told the clerk, he dropped the ball and due to the nasty weather, I still got charged. Additionally, when I checked in, I was not informed of how their elevators worked nor that I would be charged for internet usage. This place is definitely not a place I would go to again. Also, I had booked a waterfront view which I did not get.

Dear Victoria C,

Thank you very much for your visit. Although I regret to learn about the inconvenience with early departure penalty, I hope you have enjoyed your stay in general. I will be more than happy to talk to you about the situation if you kindly provide me with your preffered phone number and an appropriate time for you to receive a call. My email address is alp.akyuz@swissotel.com

Once again my sincere apologies and looking forward to hear from you.

Bloomington, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Simply, it's a great hotel. The staff was incredible. The views from a corner room were great. But, be ready to pay for this an adequate price, including $50 for overnight parking and $60+ continental breakfast for two.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Travellott1,

Thank you very much for your nice compliments. Nothing makes us more happy to learn our guests appreciate our services. Please do not hesitate to contact me whenever I can assist.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Stayed 3 nights in this place as part of business meeting. In terms of location, it's pretty good coz its located between 2 main attractions of Chicago City ie - The magnificent mile and the millenium park. It's located on the quiet end and just off the main road so very accessible.

The rooms are nice and decent size and what you would expect from a rated hotel. It has a big LCD TV in the room. Internet access is USD9.99 for 24 hours but we got it packaged in as part of our stay. One access gives you up to 4 connections so that you can use the net on your iphone or ipad as well.

Each room has a safe and coffee making facilities. Unfortunately, they do not supply mineral water and the sparkling water bottle is costed at USD8 a bottle. One would need to build its own water using the instant coffee brewer machine. Good if you are a coffee lover but if you just want water, you probably would have to drink it off the tap. Asians like us preferred boiled or bottled water.

Bathroom has been described in the other posts but I have no complains on it. The amenities that they provide is pretty nice - shampoo, conditioner and lotions. I didnt use the pool or gym when i was there but its available on the top floor.

Breakfast wasnt included and the prices at the hotel is pretty steep. You can consider taking a short 5 mins walk towards the magnificent mile and there is a Corner Bakery that serves pretty nice breakfast. Another 5 minutes walk downwards will take you to Macy and AVIS/ Enterprise to get a rented car.

The beds are nice and comfy which fluffy pillow. If you like hard bed, you would need to remove the top layer that they put there. The view is better on the upper floor but you cant get a clear view of Navy Pier. The side of the hotel I was in has a good view of the river that runs alongside the hotel. We had dinner on the 42nd floor on one of the nights and that has a good view of the pier. If you dine there on a saturday, I understand that there is a firework show at around 8pm.

Overall the experience was good and i think the location is the selling point.

Room Tip: Go for upper floors if you like views.
Dear technick,

Thank you very much for your detailed review and we will surely focus on the areas you have highlighted to further improve. Lookinf forward to welcoem you again in the not too distant future.

alp.akyuz@swissotel.com

Been to Swissotel Chicago? Share your experiences!