“Columbia College Parents - Stay Here” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Blake Chicago

Save Saved
You added Hotel Blake Chicago to your Saves list
Hotel Blake Chicago
3.5 of 5 Motel   |   500 S Dearborn Street, Chicago, IL 60605 (Formerly Wyndham Blake Chicago) (The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #62 of 169 Hotels in Chicago
Saint Clair Shores, Michigan
“Columbia College Parents - Stay Here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

While our son was "shopping" colleges and subsequently chose Columbia College, we stayed at the Blake and other local hotels. The Blake is far superior (and closer) than the other hotels we stayed at in the neighborhood. When we moved him to Chicago to attend school we booked the hotel as well. It was a very emotional day and when we finally checked in about 6 pm we were told we were the "customer of the day" and had received a free upgrade and where handed two drink vouchers. We immediately went to the bar to redeem the drink vouchers. There we chatted with the nicest bartender (she is a senior at School of the Art Institute of Chicago) and she did everything to assure us that the location was safe, that our son would adjust quickly, that Chicago is an awesome place to live - she basically dispelled all our fears of leaving an 18 year old in Chicago as she was a transplant from Boston. Words we needed to hear. She also told us the hotel was dog friendly and we could bring our dog to visit our son next time. Then we went to the "upgraded" room and were "wowed and delighted" to find we were upgraded to a suite. If ever there was a day that we needed an uplifting experience it was the day we moved our only child 300 miles away to college in another state. The room was stunning. Upon check-out, we were told how to take advantage of exclusive offers/upgrades for future visits. We have four years of college to go and I see many stays at the Blake in our future - including the upcoming Parents Weekend.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
AllysonCataldo, hotel management at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this review, September 22, 2010
Thank you so much for your wonderful review! I'm thrilled to hear you had such a great experience with us. I know firsthand how stressful the college move-in process is for everyone involved, and I'm so happy to hear that we were able to make the experience a little easier for you. We look forward to seeing you again very soon -- let us know if you will be with us for Parents Weekend in October!

Hotel management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Turkish first
Springfield, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

Friendly staff and convenient location make the Hotel Blake a great choice for my business travels to Chicago.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Thanks so much for your review of the Hotel Blake! We're honored to have your four-star review and we look forward to seeing you again -- please let us know the next time you will be staying with us!

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

I'm a young professional woman who traveled to Chicago alone for the Taste of Chicago. I was so impressed with the hotel! I could walk to the park, stores, and shopping. The staff was polite and extremely accommodating. The room was nice. I was a little surprised that the tv's were not flat screens, but otherwise, the room was awesome. There were complimentary drink coupons and a free business center. I had a working deadline and was up all night (after partying) working on a project. The busines center was quiet, FREE, and I encountered no problems with the internet connection or other guests. Beyond that, I had a GREAT RATE!!! I would suggest traveling by train here; it's convenient. I flew into O'Hare (wrong move) so the cab took over an hour; whereas, a train would've been faster and cheaper.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Thanks for your great review of the Hotel Blake! I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your feedback of our business center -- I'm glad to hear that you were able to get all of your work done and still enjoy the city! It's a great recommendation for other guests who are traveling light to take the Blue line from O'Hare to LaSalle & Eisenhower/Congress -- we're only two blocks away. It's inexpensive and when the traffic is bad, much faster than a cab from the airport! We hope you'll stay with us again the next time you are in Chicago!

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

My stay at this hotel was wonderful. The rooms were very elegant and serene. The hotel staff was very helpful and knowledgeable. I will be staying here again when I return to Chicago. The only gripe I had was with the valet parking service. BEWARE: The hotel is not affiliated with the valet company; they're a separate entity. There was a scratch on our rental car that they made. When I approached the hotel staff about it they graciously referred me to the owner of the garage who denied that his people had put the scratch there. If you have to use the valet, make sure that you walk around your car every time it comes and goes from/into valet. I spoke with the hotel director about this situation and I think he will be implementing some system to keep this from recurring in the future. Overall the hotel itself was flawless.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
I'm so happy to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us at the Hotel Blake! I will pass your compliments on to our staff -- we are very proud of them and feel that they are the Hotel Blake's best asset. I am sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with the valet company, however. As you mentioned, we are not affiliated with the valet service, but I will follow up with our general manager to see what we can do to prevent this from happening again.

We definitely look forward to seeing you again, so please let us know the next time you will be in Chicago!

Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2010

My wife and I stayed here while getting our daughter settled for college. Our experience was wonderful. We prefer a quieter, off the busy streets type of hotel, without sacrificing room quality or amenities. Hotel Blake was perfect for us. The room was big, the bed very comfortable, the shower was tremendous, the people were very friendly. This is the hotel we will stay at each time we visit our daughter over the next four years.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
I'm so glad you had a wonderful experience at the Hotel Blake, and excited to hear that you plan on staying with us again! We love to get to know our returning guests so please let us know when you are back to visit your daughter. We look forward to seeing you again!

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2010

I just moved my daughter into college and first stayed in a different hotel. I was not happy so I searched for a downtown hotel close to Columbia College.The rate was great, the staff is the nicest I've come across. I got a great room on the 1oth floor. Big windows and a comfy bed, big marble bathroom. Good amenities, coffee maker in the room, good blow dryer not that cheap imitation stuff you usually find, complimentary continental breakfast and free internet. Newly remodeled, very tasteful and just all round a big hit. I will only go there when I come and it's only two blocks from Columbia, Moore, Roosevelt.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Thank you so much for your kind review! We're honored to be your number one choice in Chicago. I am especially happy to hear that you loved our staff -- they work very hard to make sure all of our guests enjoy them, so I will definitely pass along your compliments. We look forward to seeing you again, and good luck to your daughter at Columbia from the Hotel Blake!

Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

This is great little hotel in a great location. Easy access via the Blue Line from Ohare, and easy access to other major CTA lines. Walking distance to major attractions and South Loop restaurants. The Blake is perfect for business travelers with business in the loop. I will definitely be staying at the Blake again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your review of the Hotel Blake! I'm so happy to hear that you had a pleasant stay here and that you enjoyed our convenient location. We look forward to seeing you again! Please let us know the next time you will be with us -- we love getting to know our returning guests!

Hotel management

Been to Hotel Blake Chicago? Share your experiences!