“Excellent choice” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Blake Chicago

Save Saved
You added Hotel Blake Chicago to your Saves list
Hotel Blake Chicago
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   500 S Dearborn Street, Chicago, IL 60605 (Formerly Wyndham Blake Chicago) (The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #62 of 169 Hotels in Chicago
Atlanta, Georgia
“Excellent choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

I'm a young professional woman who traveled to Chicago alone for the Taste of Chicago. I was so impressed with the hotel! I could walk to the park, stores, and shopping. The staff was polite and extremely accommodating. The room was nice. I was a little surprised that the tv's were not flat screens, but otherwise, the room was awesome. There were complimentary drink coupons and a free business center. I had a working deadline and was up all night (after partying) working on a project. The busines center was quiet, FREE, and I encountered no problems with the internet connection or other guests. Beyond that, I had a GREAT RATE!!! I would suggest traveling by train here; it's convenient. I flew into O'Hare (wrong move) so the cab took over an hour; whereas, a train would've been faster and cheaper.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
AllysonCataldo, hotel management at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this review, September 22, 2010
Thanks for your great review of the Hotel Blake! I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your feedback of our business center -- I'm glad to hear that you were able to get all of your work done and still enjoy the city! It's a great recommendation for other guests who are traveling light to take the Blue line from O'Hare to LaSalle & Eisenhower/Congress -- we're only two blocks away. It's inexpensive and when the traffic is bad, much faster than a cab from the airport! We hope you'll stay with us again the next time you are in Chicago!

Hotel management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

My stay at this hotel was wonderful. The rooms were very elegant and serene. The hotel staff was very helpful and knowledgeable. I will be staying here again when I return to Chicago. The only gripe I had was with the valet parking service. BEWARE: The hotel is not affiliated with the valet company; they're a separate entity. There was a scratch on our rental car that they made. When I approached the hotel staff about it they graciously referred me to the owner of the garage who denied that his people had put the scratch there. If you have to use the valet, make sure that you walk around your car every time it comes and goes from/into valet. I spoke with the hotel director about this situation and I think he will be implementing some system to keep this from recurring in the future. Overall the hotel itself was flawless.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
I'm so happy to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us at the Hotel Blake! I will pass your compliments on to our staff -- we are very proud of them and feel that they are the Hotel Blake's best asset. I am sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with the valet company, however. As you mentioned, we are not affiliated with the valet service, but I will follow up with our general manager to see what we can do to prevent this from happening again.

We definitely look forward to seeing you again, so please let us know the next time you will be in Chicago!

Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2010

My wife and I stayed here while getting our daughter settled for college. Our experience was wonderful. We prefer a quieter, off the busy streets type of hotel, without sacrificing room quality or amenities. Hotel Blake was perfect for us. The room was big, the bed very comfortable, the shower was tremendous, the people were very friendly. This is the hotel we will stay at each time we visit our daughter over the next four years.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
I'm so glad you had a wonderful experience at the Hotel Blake, and excited to hear that you plan on staying with us again! We love to get to know our returning guests so please let us know when you are back to visit your daughter. We look forward to seeing you again!

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2010

I just moved my daughter into college and first stayed in a different hotel. I was not happy so I searched for a downtown hotel close to Columbia College.The rate was great, the staff is the nicest I've come across. I got a great room on the 1oth floor. Big windows and a comfy bed, big marble bathroom. Good amenities, coffee maker in the room, good blow dryer not that cheap imitation stuff you usually find, complimentary continental breakfast and free internet. Newly remodeled, very tasteful and just all round a big hit. I will only go there when I come and it's only two blocks from Columbia, Moore, Roosevelt.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Thank you so much for your kind review! We're honored to be your number one choice in Chicago. I am especially happy to hear that you loved our staff -- they work very hard to make sure all of our guests enjoy them, so I will definitely pass along your compliments. We look forward to seeing you again, and good luck to your daughter at Columbia from the Hotel Blake!

Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

This is great little hotel in a great location. Easy access via the Blue Line from Ohare, and easy access to other major CTA lines. Walking distance to major attractions and South Loop restaurants. The Blake is perfect for business travelers with business in the loop. I will definitely be staying at the Blake again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your review of the Hotel Blake! I'm so happy to hear that you had a pleasant stay here and that you enjoyed our convenient location. We look forward to seeing you again! Please let us know the next time you will be with us -- we love getting to know our returning guests!

Hoosier in Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

Delighted to learn that we were only a couple of easy blocks from both the Red and Blue Line Metro, and 1-1/2 block from the State Street buses to go to Hyde Park, the museum complex or uptown. 24-7 Conveniece store on corner; 3 restaurants in same block as our hotel. Reasonable walk to the Chicago Vistitors Center and Millenium (wonderful free international jazz concert) and Grant Park. Hotel Desk very helpful in explaining which stops/metro/bus to attend theatres, concerts, different Chicago neighborhoods/sights, HotTiXX (for discount event tickets) near Chicago Cultural Center where we bought our 3 day transit/bus tickets and saved $ and time, Close to the large Chicago Library. We rented a car on departure to drive to Evanston for a wedding--car rental only 2 blocks away. We took air port shuttle bus to hotel--it was a breeze checking in. Felt safe walking to our hotel at night. Our room was large, quiet and attractively decorated. We had a modest but varied continental breakfast (gratis) each day. We would absolutely return to this hotel for our next Chicago vacation.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Hello, and thank you so much for your wonderful review of the Hotel Blake! I am so glad to hear that your visit went smoothly from check-in to check-out. I'm also excited to hear that you took advantage of our great location! We look forward to seeing you again the next time you're in Chicago -- please let us know when you will be staying with us again.

Kansas City, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

We stayed at the hotel 5 nights. On 2 occasions we did not have hot water in the morning. There was mold in the shower. The continental breakfast was weak and they were regularly out of juice and fruits and when we asked for more, they simply replied that they were out. There were coffee grounds in the coffee. There was no refrigerator in the room and the ice bucket was a joke it was so small. Plastice cups in the room instead of glass. No on-demand movie option in the room. A 4-star hotel should not have these weaknesses.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
I’m so sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay at the Hotel Blake, but thank you very much for providing us with feedback to improve our service. I will make sure that your comments regarding our continental breakfast are addressed and passed on to our staff. We do have refrigerators available for use in our rooms – if you stay with us again, please call the front desk and they will gladly bring you a refrigerator to use.

In regards to the mold you found in your shower, please contact our general manager Tom Bruno to discuss this matter further, as a few additional details will allow us to make sure that the problem is corrected immediately. This is not something we will tolerate here so any additional information, such as your room number, will help us to make sure that no other guests encounter a similar situation. Thank you once again for your feedback – I hope that you will come back to stay with us again in the future and allow us to prove to you that we are worthy of being called a four-star hotel.

Hotel management

Been to Hotel Blake Chicago? Share your experiences!