“First time but not our last!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Blake Chicago

You added Hotel Blake Chicago to your Saves list
Hotel Blake Chicago
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   500 S Dearborn Street, Chicago, IL 60605 (Formerly Wyndham Blake Chicago) (Downtown / The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #61 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
North Liberty, Iowa
“First time but not our last!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

While our room has some minor maintenance issues, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and the staff. We did not go to the bar (open 5-9 p.m. nightly) or the restaurant. We have favorite restaurants around town that we enjoy. Very convenient to the Red Line so you can park your car & get around Chicago easily. We did self park (garage 1 block away) but could do valet (parked at same location). We expected there to be a trash can and a recycling can - but no recycling program at the hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thomas B, General Manager at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us at the Hotel Blake Chicago. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. Our staff is pleased to learn that they were a memorable aspect of your experience. I do hope you get a chance to try our onsite restaurant, Meli Cafe, on your next stay with us. We would like you to know that we are consistently improving our green status and that we are green certified. We appreciate your suggestion in regards to recycling bins in the guestrooms and will take it into consideration for future updates. We value your feedback and look forward to your next stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Turkish first
New Haven, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

I stayed in one of the king rooms for 4 nights while attending a conference at the nearby Hilton and then stayed another night in a shared double queen room with a colleague when our flight was cancelled. Overall, I thought the Blake was a decent place to stay and a good price, but I think it could be a much nicer place if they invested some more effort in cleaning the place and updating the rooms. There were a lot of weird stains, beds were awkwardly made, and the fan in our shared room was insanely noisy. The staff was incredibly nice, so I feel bad leaving such a mixed review--but unless things improve I will probably stay elsewhere in the future.

• Stayed February 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. Your feedback is important to us in order to ensure that we maintain high quality service and accommodations for our guests. While I am pleased that you found our staff to be friendly during your stay, I am sorry to hear about the issues with your room. You will be pleased to learn that I have taken this issue to our housekeeping department to ensure that this will no longer be an issue in the future. We value your business and hope you give us another chance to show you the best we have to offer our guests.
Bigfork, Montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

Staff are friendly and responsive. High ceilings, and windows that open. Old hotel that has been renovated tastefully. Within 2 blocks of CTA. Great views of Chicago Public Library building and Willis Tower if you're lucky. Clean. Large bathrooms but no tub. Ice only available by going to 12th floor.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your stay at the Hotel Blake Chicago. I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed our property with special notice of our friendly staff and convenient location. We appreciate your kind feedback and hope to see you again in the near future.
La Grange Park, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

Stayed one night and enjoyed my stay. The hotel is not directly next to a lot, however, it's within a few blocks of the magnificent mile & state street. We were able to walk to many different locations. For the people who are visiting from out of town, Gino's East Deep Pizza is directly across the street.

I recommend the valet service over the parking garages next to the hotel. You will pay a little bit more, but the convenience is worth it. Breakfast is not included, but they have a full restaurant attached to the property. The vents in the room were a little loud. The bathroom was fantastic. It included a lot of space, plus 2 sinks and a great walk-in shower.

I would recommend this hotel for shorter stays while you're in Chicago. It's good for 1 or 2 nights.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Thomas B, General Manager at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Thank you for sharing your stay with us at the Hotel Blake Chicago. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our property with special regards to our spacious rooms and convenient location to attractions in Downtown Chicago. I appreciate your kind feedback of your stay with us and look forward to your next visit.
Lansing, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

The location is not the best. We had a brick wall for a view. Only rooms facing the street have a view. A piece of wall molding fell and hit friend in head. Bar was closed even though sign said open Sunday. Only good thing is the restaurant is fabulous. When I go back to Chicago will stay elsewhere but definitely visit the restaurant to eat!

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the street
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thomas B, General Manager at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Thank you for sharing your review of our hotel. We appreciate your feedback in regards to your stay, and I apologize for incidents endured on your experience. I would like to further discuss the details of your stay to ensure that these problems do not occur in the future as the guest experience is the number one priority of our staff. Please contact the hotel directly at 312-986-1234. We value your business and hope you give us another chance to show you the best we have to offer our guests.
New Baltimore, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Blake when in town for a show at the Chicago theatre. We have been to Chicago multiple times and wanted to stay in the theatre district. We booked through Hotwire so we didn't find out the name of the hotel until after we paid. We got a great deal that and we both feel like we got what we paid for. I think if we would've paid full price we probably would have been disappointed because the hotel does appear a little over-used. Valet parking was $47 per day which, in my experience, is the average cost at hotels in downtown Chicago. We drove around looking for another option but we couldn't find a lot that allowed over night so we just used the valet. It would've been nice if there was a valet only lane in front of the hotel, we had to lap around multiple times before there was space for us to leave our car for valet because there were cabs lined up. I called about a week before our reservation and reserved an upper floor, we were on the 7th floor and never had any issues with noise. Some hotels won't accept your requests if you use booking sites- so we appreciated this consideration! We were able to get early check in at 11:30am which we love. It was very convenient to get settled in the room and have more time to check out the city. We walked EVERYWHERE, even in -2 weather, the distance was bearable so we liked that about the hotel. We also liked that the room had HIGH ceilings, it made it feel large; but the room really was spacious anyways. One thing we disliked was the bathroom shower. I'm not sure if we were given a handicapped accessible room or what, but the shower was totally open to the rest of the bathroom. There was a curtain that did nothing so the entire bathroom got soaked during showers. We requested extra towels and staff brought us plenty so we had enough to keep on the floor for showers and use for ourselves. For us, since we were able to check in 4 hours early we just chalked it up to they accommodated us with what was available at the time and it really wasn't that bad! We didn't go in the bar or restaurant at all, there are too many cool places in Chicago! There was a Ginos East right across the street, which has always been our favorite Chicago pizza so we loved that. There is also a great hole in the wall bar called Kasey's Tavern that was about 2 blocks away we enjoyed too. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would be happy to stay here again if we got the same deal! The hotel itself was pretty average but the accommodating staff made it that much better.

Also, we forgot 4 shirts that were hanging in the closet and didn't realize it until we got home. I called and had to leave message for the housekeeping manager. I was contacted the next day and the staff shipped everything to us. We paid for the shipping, didn't request overnight or anything special and we received it within 2 days! Turned out to be another example of attentive staff members.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thomas B, General Manager at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Hotel Blake Chicago. I am glad that you enjoyed our property with special regards to our friendly and attentive staff. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to your next experience with us in the near future.
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

The staff is good here-actually really good, but the hotel misrepresents their offerings. Although they have a restaurant, the latest it stays open is 10pm-not 12:30am as is listed on their website. I found this out the hard way. I came back to my room from a day long conference, took a brief break, and 20 minutes later hopped onto a nearly 2 hour webinar. Thinking that I certainly had plenty of time until the restaurant closed, I made a few phone calls. When I went downstairs at 9 pm (totally a decent hour) I was informed by the bell hop (rather rudely might I add) that the restaurant was closed due to pending inclement weather. While that is certainly understandable, when I asked what they typical restaurant hours were, I was informed that they are 7 am - 10 pm, which differs greatly from what's listed on their website. Needless to say, I was more than a little bit frustrated. These guys just need to update their website to make it accurately reflect their offerings,

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thomas B, General Manager at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Thank you for sharing your review of the Hotel Blake Chicago. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our staff. I apologize for the issues endured due to the discrepancy on our web site. The web site currently reflects the restaurant's spring hours, and I am sorry that this was a problem on your experience. We do hope you get a chance to try it on your next visit. Thank you again for sharing your feedback. We look forward to your next stay!

Been to Hotel Blake Chicago? Share your experiences!