“Pleasantly surprised” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Blake Chicago

Booking.com Travelocity
Hotel Blake Chicago
3.5 of 5 Motel   |   500 S Dearborn Street, Chicago, IL 60605 (Formerly Wyndham Blake Chicago) (The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #67 of 167 hotels in Chicago
Richmond, VA
“Pleasantly surprised”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I was in town for a conference at McCormick Place and stayed at the Wyndham Blake for two nights. Yes, the location is slightly away from the main flow of traffic but that is what made it great for me. Quiet area. Short taxi ride to MP was fine with me as well. Took orange line from Midway, got off at the Library stop and short walk to hotel. Right across the street is a Ginos so if you need your fill of Chicago deep dish, Ginos is there to assist.

The hotel is quaint. Older buildings which have been merged to house the rooms. Very good service from check in to check out. At night, a bar is beside the lobby area with comfortable seating. Very relaxing space. As for the room, I was a large room with a King bed. Clean. The bed was very comfortable with crisp linens. Decor was fresh. View out of the window was the brick wall of the building next door. Did not bother me as I was only in the room to sleep and do some end of the day work. The bath was also very good size with a walk in shower....very nice. Another reviewer noted the rain head for the shower and low pressure. I will take the other side of the commentary. The pressure in the shower was very good and I loved the oversized rain head. If you did not like the downward stream, you could direct it slightly to get more of a traditional shower experience. I liked it so much, I am adding one to my soon the be remodeled bath. The only negative about the shower was the caulking had some mold. Maintenance needs to scrap out the old and replace with a tan colored caulk.

Overall, I am very pleased with the property and would stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Vee J, Director of Sales at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at the Wyndham Blake Chicago! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that we could exceed your expectations of our hotel. We appreciate your feedback in regards to our spacious rooms, deluxe accommodations, and location within close proximity to transportation as well as McCormick Place for citywide conventions in Chicago. I have passed your comments along to housekeeping and engineering in regards to the shower, and you will be pleased to hear that they will be taken into consideration for future renovations. We value your business and look forward to your next stay with us in Chicago.

1,140 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Turkish first
Fishers
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Stayed here for business. Rooms are Hugh. Clean and well furnished. Valet parking was convenient. Didn't eat this trip but last time I ate here the food was good. The rooms are larger than most downtown hotels. Bath and shower are also larger than most all down town hotels.

• Stayed November 2012
Vee J, Director of Sales at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Wyndham Blake Chicago. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our spacious and clean rooms during your stay at our hotel. Be sure to “like” us on Facebook to learn about upcoming specials and promotions. We value your business and look forward to your next stay with us in the Windy City!
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I recently stayed at the Wyndham Blake Chicago for business. My company had used a 3rd party for the booking, there were 3 rooms booked under my name. I arrived around 8pm and upon check-in was given room 101. I was told it was on the 1st floor - interesting since we are not in Europe I knew that would be street level, or not very far from that. The front desk clerk said I would have to take the elevator to the 2nd floor and then take a flight of stairs down to my room. I believe my comment was "are you serious?!?". Response: "Yes that is the room reserved for you". I asked if it was safe. I was told "it is a lovely room". Too tired to argue I went to the dungeon I had been banished to by the Hotel Gods. The room was in fact lovely, newly redone, clean, etc. Aside from its location which was HORRENDOUS,I thought this is ok. Looking out the window, the view was an ally, the room is about 10 feet off of street level, dumpsters right below the window and a lovely lamppost, complete with planters and a gigantic light right at the center of the window. The blackout curtains do their best to shield the light however, there is a bright frame formed by the space between the wall and the curtain. I could live with that, I live in NYC, there is seldom total darkness or complete silence for that matter. The fact that someone could climb up the lamppost to get to the room, using the dumpster and the planters, wasn't something I really understood until I walked around back in the morning. I went to dinner-nothing in the Hotel and nothing really good close to the hotel. Returned and went to sleep. At 4:13am the garbage trucks began emptying the dumpsters. Needless to say that was ongoing. After almost loosing my mind from the noise for 3 hours, I got up and checked out. When asked how my stay was, I was very descriptive. The front desk clerks, to their credit, did feel bad, saying yeah, those are bad rooms... Really!?! My colleagues were on the 5th & 8th floors not facing the ally, I'm sure had a different experience (BTW I was not the last to check in, Mr. 8th floor got there at 10pm, so clearly there were other rooms). Had I not said something about the rooms location at check in, I would not be annoyed. I should have made a bigger deal about it upfront, lesson learned. The Hotel should never give that room or any other room at that level unless the people are fully aware that they will have a sleepless night!! Use the room as a courtesy room, shame on you for charging almost $200. I wasn't expecting The Four Seasons, having said that it doesn't matter. The purpose of a hotel is to be comfortable away from home... Well that's not where I live.

Room Tip: If given any room with 100 in the number at this hotel RUN!!! Be sure to face the front of the hote...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your feedback of the Wyndham Blake Chicago. Your feedback is important to us in order to ensure that we maintain high quality service and accommodations for our guests. I apologize for the experience you endured during your stay. Our staff strives to meet the needs of our travelers and we are sorry that we could not meet your expectations during your trip. I have passed along your comments in regards to our valet service to our General Manager, Tom Bruno. We would appreciate it if you would contact him at (312) 986-1234 so that we can address your issues in further detail. Again, thank you for your feedback and we hope you give us another chance to show you the best we have to offer.
North Yorkshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Location fine, in the Printers District but walking distance of the Magnificent Mile. Room ok comfortable. Enthusiastic doorman he was really nice and helpful.
The restaurant had not renewed its tenancy so no where to go to eat on site. We were told by people in the bar opposite this had just happened , we were not made aware of this when booking. It is the abscence of the restaurant that has let the hotel down as overall our stay in the hotel was fine.
Small bar but it closed at 10 pm. I am afraid it just lacked atmosphere and I thought quite expensive considering. Location good , staff good, room good just disappointing hotel experience

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Vee J, Director of Sales at Hotel Blake Chicago, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Wyndham Blake Chicago. Your feedback is important to us in order to ensure that we maintain high quality service and accommodations for our guests. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our rooms and friendly staff. I apologize for the inconvenience with the restaurant. On your next visit, be sure to ask our friendly front desk agents and doormen for recommendations on area restaurants and bars. We value your business and hope you gives us another chance to show you the best we have to offer.

Been to Hotel Blake Chicago? Share your experiences!