“Lovely hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Blake Chicago

You added Hotel Blake Chicago to your Saves list
Hotel Blake Chicago
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   500 S Dearborn Street, Chicago, IL 60605 (Formerly Wyndham Blake Chicago) (Downtown / The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #61 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
UK
“Lovely hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2007

We stayed at the Hotel Blake for 4 nights and had a fantastic time, the staff were really friendly and helpful, the room was immaculate and the bed so, so comfy!
We were not aware of any street noise (as mentioned in previous reviews) and the hotel is in a great location.
Would recommend this hotel to any one!

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Turkish first
PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2007

Seven of us arrived at the Blake for a three day stay. Even though we confirmed reservations three days prior to our stay when we arrived they would not give us rooms. They indicated that they overbooked by thirty people!

The hotel they wanted to send us to was next to a landfill! They claimed it was only 20min from downtown Chicago.. maybe 20 min without traffic considerations!

The hotel manager would not come out of the office to talk to us.. and did not return any calls by our travel agent. We were promised rooms two days later and again they didn't have any.

While waiting they told us that everyone else who was to come in that day was also going to be refused a room... Ten minutes later a man came in and they registered him. When I questioned it, they told me it was difficult to explain..

I've traveled in my job for 20 years.. I've never been so inconvenience before.

• Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
St. Louis, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2007

We found this hotel when looking for 6 rooms while attending a conference. We were a little late booking, but they still had very favorable rates. I was very pleased with the service at the hotel as they accomodated both special packages arriving and special room requests without hesitation. It is within walking distance of everything you want to see in Chicago and it's easy to get to from the L. My only complaint was that the rooms needed a second light on the same side of the bed as the alarm clock. It was a little dark working at night with just the hall light and one bed side light. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Silicon Valley, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2007

Outside the Hotel Blake is a sign saying that this is a historic building. That means it has a historic ventilation system. It was one of the first Hyatt hotels, and it shows. It also may be up for sale or condo conversion, and as a result, things are not being fixed or attended to.

Their website proclaims to be a boutique hotel, but really this hotel is a little below a Crowne Plaza. It has free wireless, but the desk in my room did not have a phone on it. The mattress was good, but the towels were thread bare. If you wanted a bathrobe, you had to call and ask for it. The sink didn't have a stopper. The shower has no bathtub and no door. The room smelled of smoke even though the hotel is supposedly non-smoking. in our 3 night stay, the towels and wastebaskets in the fitness center were not replaced/emptied. The doors are very lightweight, so people in the hallway can hear conversations in the room. Bathroom noise carries through the bathroom walls.

The first room they gave me was claustrophobic, maybe 200 sq ft with just enough room for a queen bed and a desk. When I complained, they gave me a room (513) at double the size but had smoke smell in the walls. Both rooms I tried had very small windows, so there was very little natural light. No frig, and ice is only on the 12th floor. Windows were single pane, so street noise came through loud and clear, early every morning. The fitness center equipment was broken or very old.

But back to the ventilation system... Heat and cold air comes from a central system. The room thermostat only turns on the fan to bring that air into the room. If the central system is running air conditioning, that's all your room will get.

And the day I got there, they said the hotel restaurant was no longer serving breakfast, just lunch and dinner.

So have I just described a boutique hotel? I think not...

Stayed October 2007
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2007

I stayed in this hotel with a friend, early October 2007. The hotel had a special offer (5th night free) that made it an easy choice, compared to hotels of similar price or quality. The 3.5 star is underrated in my opinion, this hotel has nearly everything a 5 star hotel has as well.

Only downside was the breakfast - there was none. But enough places to have breakfast just around the corner. Location is good, a bit south of the centre but still downtown. 2 subway stations nearby.

If not for the special rate, you could maybe find a same price/quality hotel within the loop or the magnificent mile but for this trip, I couldn't have wished for anything better.

• Liked — Overall quality and atmosphere
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lexington, Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2007

Four 30-something girls traveled to Chicago for a concert and stayed here because of location. Things were fine until we stopped for gas on the way home. We pooled gas money and put the extra in the console. We valeted the car and enjoyed the concert. The next day, halfway home, we stopped for gas. Our money was gone.

We should not have left it there - we just forgot about it. It was around $50.

I immediately called the hotel, I spoke to the Valet Manager. He said he would see who was working the previous night, investigate and get back to me. Of course he never did and my calls went unreturned.

We'll not be back.

The hotel itself was fine. No complaints.

Stayed August 2006
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2007

I had a comfortable stay. I arrived late and my room was waiting for me. Unfortunately, it was a room where the door had been removed from the bathroom and it was next to the elevator lobby and for some reason the hotel has overly loud almost rap-like music playing in the elevator lobbies 24-hours a day. I could hear it in my room and even though it was 1:00 a.m., I thought it would keep me awake. I called the desk and the gentleman who had just checked me in had no problem moving me to another larger available room because of these problems. I actually preferred the first room, though because instead of two beds it had a nice comfy chair. Second Room was missing the toilet paper dispenser. View from the first room was of the nearby landmark library and from the second was the Sears Tower. Bathrooms were large with rain showerheads. Beds were extremely comfortable. There was a stain on the duvet that resembled blood. I mentioned it to the housekeeper and she replaced it when she cleaned my room. It was over 100 degrees when I was there and the hotel's AC worked fine. One thing I would suggest to improve the room would be to add a mini-frig. Location of the hotel was good. I had no trouble walking to the attractions I wanted to see, but it is definitely not in the center of the downtown area.

• Liked — Comfy Beds
  • Disliked — Music in the elevator lobby
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel Blake Chicago? Share your experiences!