You added The Ritz-Carlton Chicago (A Four Seasons Hotel) to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton Chicago (A Four Seasons Hotel)
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   160 E Pearson St at Water Tower Place, Chicago, IL 60611-2124 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
15% Off + Free Parking!
Ranked #10 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dallas, Texas
“Lovely stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

I booked my room through American Express Platinum hoping that I could get an automatic upgrade upon arrival. Knowing that there was a large meeting occurring during my stay, I wasn't exactly sure what the hotel could do for me.
When my husband and I arrived, I asked the woman at reception if I could get an "upgrade" , and after a lot of looking, she gave us the choice to take a suite for 3 out of the 4 days and then move on the fourth day. At first, I felt inconvenienced, but the manager of the hotel moved our things perfectly into a very nice(but small room.)
I actually liked the room better than the suite as I felt that the suite needed some updating. Both rooms were very clean!
The service at the hotel was excellent. The breakfast in the morning was delicious and
plentiful, and the wait service was superb.
The fitness center was excellent with every piece of equiptment that I needed for my workout. The location was perfect as well.
I would stay at this hotel again on my next travels to Chicago.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
TomSegesta, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Chicago (A Four Seasons Hotel), responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your Trip Advisor review! We sincerely appreciate and value your feedback in our continual pursuit to enhance the total guest experience.

We look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back to The Ritz-Carlton Chicago soon!

Tom Segesta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
Los Angeles CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

The Ritz has been our go-to hotel in Chicago for a number of years. Despite some minor slips for this visit, it's still the one we consider first when planning a trip to the Windy City.

We come to Chicago almost annually, but somehow missed last year. As it turns out, we also missed the Ritz's entire remodeling phase where first the rooms and then the public areas were redone. The lobby apparently reopened less than a month before our visit.
The rooms, previously a pleasant but busy cacophony of floral prints, are now a more subdued and contemporary palette of blue-gray. The bathrooms were redone previously and are unchanged. The rooms now boast a large desk with ergonomic chair and a console with drawers, and shelves that house the electronic safe and DVD player (the old safes that needed a key to open are still situated in the closet). The new large flat screen, high def TV sits on top. The windows now have a sunscreen as well as block-out drapes. There are interesting architectural photos in both the rooms and public areas. Minor changes that perhaps reflect the current economy: the bar of soap for the shower is the same size as the one for the sink (it used to be larger), there are fewer complimentary newspaper choices offered (Chicago Tribune and Wall Street Journal only, before there also was USA Today and New York Times), the room service menu has an all-day section rather than separate lunch and dinner menus.
At first glance, the lobby appears unchanged, but upon closer inspection we realize the marble around the fountain has been replaced, as has the carpeting, now also marble. The former Cafe restaurant is now called Deca, with a private dining room in the Cafe's former entryway. The Greenhouse Lounge under the skylight is now the Deca Bar. There is new furniture throughout. Deca has a French bistro menu--we dined there one evening and it was quite good. Like the Cafe before it, it never seems too crowded.
The Greenhouse served a fabulous weekend brunch that for now is no longer offered at Deca, but the hostess said it may soon return.

The hotel's strongest attribute has always been its service. Four Seasons standards and Midwestern friendliness combine to great effect here. The concierges are particularly helpful; we recognized many familiar faces. When we checked in around 8am after a red-eye flight, a room was not immediately available, so we went to the spa to shower and freshen up. I ran into the same outgoing local resident (a spa member) from my last visit, who loves to greet new guests and give impromptu tours of the facilities. At least this time he was a bit further along in his routine--he was wearing briefs, whereas last time he was nude.
We were contacted by phone around 10:30 saying our room was ready, but we then discovered it didn't have the southern view we prefer. We were immediately moved to another room on the same floor with the desired view, but were not informed, as we should have been, that this room was smaller-- a Moderate vs. a Deluxe. We opted to stay in this room and it was fine--it had all the same furnishings and we actually preferred the bathroom, which was one large room with a single sink, rather than the split bath in the Deluxe rooms with a large double sink area, but a cramped toilet/shower/tub area.

As always, we chose to take the CTA subway from O'Hare, a cheap ($2.25) 45 minute ride that ends about 3 blocks from the hotel. There are four stairways and a transfer involved, however.

The American Girl store that used to be below the nearby Peninsula Hotel is now in an even larger space in Water Tower Place just below the Ritz, only an elevator ride away.
We love the hotel's location just off the Magnificent Mile, and as always, we visited the Museum of Contemporary Art across the street and gawked at the landmark Mies van der Rohe apartments on Lake Shore Drive a few blocks away. We discovered Mies' own apartment was in a building across the street from the Ritz.

I'll admit we actually split our hotels for this visit and tried the James as well as the Ritz. We had also heard nice things about the new Elysian. Plus there are the well regarded Peninsula, Park Hyatt, Trump Tower and Four Seasons hotels. But I don't think we'll ever completely shun the Ritz.

• Stayed May 2010
TomSegesta, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Chicago (A Four Seasons Hotel), responded to this review, April 24, 2014

Orlando, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

We usually stay at the Park Hyatt and do to recent renovations we decided to give the Ritz a try. I checked in on Friday night around 8 pm. I took the elevator to the 12th floor lobby and headed to the desk. I waited to be acknowledged and was greeted by the staff. I was then handed 2 keys and escorted to the elevator. As I got on I was told they gave me a "smoking optional" room but it did not smell like smoke. It supposedly was the only room available as they were fully committed. I headed to the 19th floor and the whole floor smelled of smoke. As I entered the room a window was open to air out the smoke. I tried to call down but the phone did not work properly. I went back down to the desk and explained my wife is pregnant and a smoking room would not be acceptable. I then waited 10 minutes as the reservationist and manager to switch our room. We were placed on the 21st floor. The room was nice but not spectacular. The 1st morning we did not receive a paper as requested. The bed was extremely comfortable. After check in it was a nice stay. I do not believe it lives up to the Four Seasons brand. I will go back to the Park Hyatt across the street next time.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

We just spent a weekend at the Ritz. First the room and more importantly the bed was to die for!! Must buy that bed. The bathroom was an extremely nice hotel bathroom. The service in the entire hotel was great. The location was right where you want to be to see downtown Chicago and Navy Pier. The breakfast was pricey but was spectacular!! $90 for two.

Malibu, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

This hotel is located in Water Tower Place. It is a solid 5 star hotel in a solid 5 star location. Everything is within walking distance-in fact most everything is within a few blocks i.e. Rush Street, Oak Street, and it is on Michigan Avenue marking the beginning of the Magnificent Mile. It is a true five star facility. And it offers free wifi internet! The restaurant is under construction so it is somewhat limited now but that should not matter when outside your door are some of the country’s best steak houses such as Dobson’s and Ditka’s (yes THAT Ditka)
Everything about is was great including them allowing me to check in at 10 am for my 6 night stay. My room was spacious, the toiletries first class, and the view spectacular. I would highly recommend this hotel to others.
The other true 5 star hotel in Chicago is the Peninsula which is only about 2 blocks away and Trump Tower which is at the other end of the Magnificent Mile . I have also stayed in both of these hotels and fouls them both to be equally lavish, with the Peninsula being somewhat more so. Trump Tower is fine but it is in a different location which is really not waling distance to the Rush Street nightlife scene although it would be just a short cab ride. The Peninsula and Ritz are basically in the same location.
Bottom line is that it is 5 star luxury in the best location in Chicago. No Complaints.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Lighthouse Point, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2010

Stayed here for one night and 2 full days for a wedding recently and was pleasantly surprised on a few levels. The entrance layout is strange, but there are enough helpful people there to guide you in the right direction. We checked in early around 10:50am (we had requested early check-in and were told to come at 11am) and were told there were no rooms. Another look produced a room by the elevator. Yet another look produced an acceptable room. The woman who helped us was incredibly nice and escorted us to the elevator.

The room was very nicely appointed, 2 sinks in the bathroom with separate toilet/shower room and top notch toiletries. Bed and linens were fantastic! I slept wonderfully. The views were great (ours was to the north with the Hancock Tower). And the room was QUIET. Never heard even a door closing.

The lobby bar was very nice - I was greeted by a hostess and the bartender was very friendly. They provide some nuts and olives to snack on and the olives were delicious. All of the service seemed genuine and prompt and I was made to feel very comfortable and welcome.

At the end of the day, I suppose you get what you pay for at this hotel. I'm accustomed to the Starwood family of hotels, so this was most definitely a step up in almost every regard and we are glad we made the upgrade.

Kalamazoo, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2010

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton, Battery Park,N.Y. It was everything a 5 star should be.

Chicago was everything a 3 star should be at double or triple the price. The bathroom fixtures were out-of-date, the room was only one step above a Holiday Inn and the room amenities were none existent. It was a very disappointing experience.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business

Tom Segesta

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Chicago (A Four Seasons Hotel)? Share your experiences!