“Outstanding, well worth the price of the room” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton Chicago (A Four Seasons Hotel)

You added The Ritz-Carlton Chicago (A Four Seasons Hotel) to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton Chicago (A Four Seasons Hotel)
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   160 E Pearson St at Water Tower Place, Chicago, IL 60611-2124 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Bed and Breakfast!
Ranked #12 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
St. Louis, MO
“Outstanding, well worth the price of the room”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

Was in Chicago for a conference and stayed at the Ritz. From the initial greeting to the very friendly, relaxed and attentive front desk attendant everything was first class. The room's are very well appointed, modern (recent renovation to the entire hotel) and the service was excellent. Great location to access the city and a wonderful place to return to at the end of the day. The beds are fantastic as well, and the view was beautiful. Worth the money, would highly recommend the ritz water tower place.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
TomSegesta, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Chicago (A Four Seasons Hotel), responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your Trip Advisor review! We sincerely appreciate and value your feedback in our continual pursuit to enhance the total guest experience.

We look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back to The Ritz-Carlton Chicago soon!

Tom Segesta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
US
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

I had not stayed at this property for three years, i.e., before any of the recent renovation. The hotel remains lovely, with attentive staff, and a perfect location. While I had the lowest level room they offered, the views of the lake were stunning and the quality of the furnishings and other aspects of the room were top notch. I highly recommend it.

Stayed August 2009, traveled on business

Paris, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

I was confident to have a nice stay when choosing the Ritz-Carlton Chicago; but we understood immediately that it was a very bad choice.

1. We had made our reseravtion in April, with an arrival on July 28th. My wife was in Boston the week before, and I was to join her in Chicago on the 28.
We had to make a change so that she would arrive on the 27, one day before me.
When she arrived for checking in, she was rebuffed as she was told that as her name was not on the reservation, even if her passeport stated that she was my wife, she could not stay at the hotel! She was then required to call me in Paris (in the middle of the night) with her cellphone (well she could have called anyone in fact, but at no cost for the hotel) so that I confirm she was to stay with me!
That for the greeting!

2. The next day, before my arrival, she was called to the front desk and informed that her Visa card was not providing for the payment of the stay. This was true, but why not wait for my arrival the same day ? I was the one who made the booking. This was truly very poor manners from the hotel to bother my wife at this moment, when you think we were to stay 10 days!

3. A few days later, the same problem arised with my own credit card. I went to the front desk and explained that I had to call my bank in Paris to settle the matter, but due to time difference, had to wait until the next morning. In the afternoon of the same day, I was summoned again at the front desk, for the same reason, by the duty manager. I told him that I already explained that I would call my bank in the morning; but it was not enough for him : first, he showed me that my card was not accepted, then he asked me how I will be paying if it was not accepted, then he suggested that I met someone from the accounting department by 9 am...So much pressure, and we had still 4 nights to stay there. It was truly intimidating, rude, and I felt like if I was a potential criminal.

Besides these bad experiences, I must say that the service was not on a high standard. Breakfast was difficult to obtain in the lobby, coffee was cold by the time breads arrived,etc.
We were offered to take off a night from our bill, anyway on the next morning, we asked for the breakfast in the room and it arrived with one capuccino instead of two, and no bagels that had been ordered.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Fort Worth, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2009

Stayed at this hotel for three nights in August. All rooms with two beds were booked, so after one night of staying in a king bed, they transferred us to a different room. It went very smoothly and they took care of it for us with ease. Rooms are very nicely decorated. Area around hotel is very nice. Overall, a very nice hotel.

• Stayed August 2009

san antonio, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

Love Love Love the Ritz Carlton Chicago! We travel to Chicago a few times a year and we always stay at the Ritz. The staff is so welcoming, Mark the doorman and Lula the lady who sits at the first floor entry desk always remember our kids names. The front desk, housekeeping and room service have been equally accomodating. When traveling with a baby we always forget some random necessary item, If the hotel didn't have whatever we needed they offered to go out and get it. (Another plus is the perfect toddler and kid sized playground right across the street)
The lakeside suites have amazing views of Lake Michigan and Navy Pier. During the summer on the weekends you can catch the fireworks from Navy Pier right from your room. The rooms have just been nicely renovated and are much more contemporary.
The Ritz lobby is like a little oasis tucked just 12 floors above a busy metropolis.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

St. Louis, MO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

Went for a long weekend, a "last hurrah" trip before son 1 leaves for college. We are getting very spoiled and are leaning towards Four Seasons whenever it is a choice (and when we can get a deal that is only outrageous, not astronomical!) Although the hotel seemed almost 2/3 empty... there were really no deals to be had other than the buy two nights, one night free. This would have been too expensive for us with two rooms, (which is what we really wanted) so we crammed into a deluxe executive suite, approx $700 night with taxes...(and don't forget the $40 plus per night parking!) whew! Lucky that third night was "free". But we knew all this going in so it is not a strike against the hotel. But what is does is set expectations extremely high...

The lobby is beautiful, large, sunny, nice fountain in the middle. Our room, on the 20th floor....eh.... It had a main sitting room with a pull out couch, then the master bedroom separated by frosted french doors. It did have two bathrooms, but they were small and not "luxurious" at all, with combined bath/shower. Also, we joked about the "ergodynamic" toilets... they are kind of low, and rather tilt you backwards. There was enough room for the four of us, but tight when the rollaway was out. The main king size bed was extremely comfortable, nice fluffy bath towels and I love those four seasons robes. It was clean. Oddly there was no TV channel information, that would have been appreciated. Of course teen sons quickly figured out the remote to get channel listings, but my old eyes couldn't see it very well on the t.v. when laying on the bed. You can request newspapers to be delivered to your door every morning, which we did.

We went down to look at the spa/pool area first thing. It was unimpressive, to say the least. The pool is a small, very small lap pool. The whirlpool was small and didn't look very appealing at all, like not so clean, and not filled all the way? As far as I could tell, it was not being cleaned at the time as there was no sign and a family was in it!

I did work out in their gym, and the equipment, for a hotel gym, was very good. Nice touch to have cooled towels available and someone going around bringing everyone water.

We did not eat at the hotel, nor did very many others by the look of the lobby restaurant every time we passed by. We did have coffee and drinks at the lobby bar, that was nice (and, yes, expensive!)

So yes, I liked this hotel, didn't love it, probably will try somewhere else in the future as for me, it did not justify the cost and have that "Four Seasons" feeling. It's not fair to compare a city Four Seasons to a resort Four Seasons (like Nevis, one of the most magical stays in the world) but I have stayed at the St. Louis Four Seasons, which was, to me, way more impressive than this one, and will be staying at the Four Seasons Philadelphia in a few weeks, which my husband has already stayed in, and loves. I will then have a direct, big city Four Seasons comparison.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Windermere, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2009

This trip was for me, my sister, and my daughter, 11. I booked a city view room and received an upgrade to a beautiful lake view on the 27th floor! Originally I booked the American Girl package but about a week before our stay I changed the room rate to the experience more one (best value). However, they still gave my daughter all the American Girl amenities without charging us the package price! WOW! I thought they made a mistake, but they didn't. My daughter was amazed by the AG travel bed, robe, slippers, notepad, cookies for the doll and daughter, welcome note, etc.

When we arrived, there was a bowl of popcorn and a bottle of pop on the desk. They sprinkled confetti in one of the two sinks with children's bubble bath, detangler, and soap. It was a great way to start our trip!

They also gave my daughter a folder with the welcome note in it at the lobby desk. Inside had the inviation to make cookes in the hotel's kitchen. The note said to call by 3:00 to participate at 4:00. It was 3:15 when we called but they said "No problem!" We checked in a few minutes early and then went down to the American Girl store (2nd floor of our hotel) for a quck look around. The new store is amazing! After returning to the area to start the cookies, the worker remembered my daughter's name and welcomed her back. She took us (along with a few other guests) to the back side of the restaurant where we washed our hands and the pastry chef had the dough and cookie cutters ready. After making about 5 cookies, we were told that they would bake them for us and have room service deliver them to our room. We left for dinner and when we came back, the cookies were there along with cute little cups full of things to decorate the cookies with (frosting, sprinkes, etc). How fun! This is free by the way.

We checked out the pool area. You have to go through the workout area and spa area to get to the pool. Not crazy about that arrangement. The pool has limited hours for children and the bellhop told us that when he delivered our luggage. It is a pretty small pool (lap pool) but I asked a girl in the elevator who obviously had been swimming if she enjoyed it, and she said yes and that the pool was warm. There are some nicely padded chairs around the pool. I saw a steam room, area to shower, and very nice lockers. If I didn't have my daughter along, I would have loved to spend more time here.

Some people have complained about the elevators, but I found them to be very fast (we never waited more than a few seconds) and the different elevators are right next to each other. Not an issue for me.

A few minor things that could be better: First of all, it would be our arrival at the hotel. We pulled up to the hotel and had to wait quite a while before someone talked to us and helped us with our luggage. Granted, it was 3:00 and close to check in time so I can understand that you need to be patient. However, a nice little conversation to let us know what to do or expect would be helpful. The Park Hyatt has the arrival part down to a science. (They have your luggage out before you are practically out of the car, find out your name which they relay to the front desk, etc.)

Secondly, I put the note on the door to request a newspaper on the first morning. They took the note but I got no newspaper. Then we ordered room service (YUM!) and they asked if we would like a newspaper. Well, they forgot to bring it. I ended up calling and they did bring it this time. However, the next day I had all 4 newspapers (chicago, new york, usa today, and one other that I can't recall) hanging in a bag from my door!

Shower and tub combo: not my favorite arrangement. However, the tub is deep and there is a nice ledge to put your supplies. Plus the toilet is in the same area with the shower/tub and it's a bit cramped in there. There is a much bigger area with two sinks for you to get ready in the AM.

Loved how close the hotel is to Michigan Avenue and the water. We walked easily to the beach one day where you can rent bikes (even surrey bikes!). If we had more time, I would definitely rent bikes to ride along the shore.

It was also a very quiet hotel. I heard no creaking noises (from the building swaying) or ambulances. The ambulances/police sirens were an issue at the Park Hyatt.

Overall, I would love to stay here again and had a wonderful stay!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Tom Segesta

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Chicago (A Four Seasons Hotel)? Share your experiences!