“Ritz-Carlton Chicago--a wonderful place to stay. Great location,warm friendly service,beautiful views.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton Chicago (A Four Seasons Hotel)

You added The Ritz-Carlton Chicago (A Four Seasons Hotel) to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton Chicago (A Four Seasons Hotel)
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   160 E Pearson St at Water Tower Place, Chicago, IL 60611-2124 (Magnificent Mile)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #10 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Certificate of Excellence 2014
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I think Peter f. did not stay at the same hotel I did. Just ask and they will bring you a teapot or a coffee maker. I thought the bed was heavenly. The concierge booked us in wherever we wanted to go and got us some tough reservations.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
TomSegesta, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Chicago (A Four Seasons Hotel), responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your Trip Advisor review! We sincerely appreciate and value your feedback in our continual pursuit to enhance the total guest experience.

We look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back to The Ritz-Carlton Chicago soon!

Tom Segesta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I arrived at Reception at 5.45pm on my check-in day at the end of 20 hours travelling from Melbourne. All I wanted was a shower and to fall into bed and sleep. Surprise! My suite was not yet ready. At 5.45pm! Reception offered me a free drink and sandwich in the Bar whilst I waited. Instead, I talked with the Concierge about arrangements to be made for Sunday's activities. In the end she couldn't help me at all with any bookings (even though I later made the bookings online readily in my room). Given my checkin experience, I was primed to notice everything that dissatisfied. Bear in mind that the suite is $560 night + tax. Here is a short list of my gripes: (a) no tea and coffee making facilities, (b) an electric iron that kept leaking large amounts of water onto my morning ironing, not just the customary drops here and there, (c) poorly stocked in-room refrigerator, (d) a TV that I had to keep turning off altogether in order to get back to the main TV station selection menu, (e) fast wi-fi (at a charge) that was anything but and to overcome I had to get a fixed line ethernet cable (f) loud aircon, and (g) tired, tired, tired decor and fitout. The only saving grace was the hard-working and resourceful staff in the lounge/bar. I would not recommend this hotel and I will not stay here again. What a disappointing experience.

Room Tip: Not recommended.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
TomSegesta, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Chicago (A Four Seasons Hotel), responded to this review, April 25, 2014

Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Chicago last week and we stayed for 4 nights. The hotel is beautiful and the location is practicle. We went to the spa that was very nice with excellent staff. The room was nothing spectacular but quite big and clean. However, the beds were very unconfortable, too soft and the pillows as well. We asked to change our room expecting better bed but the other one was the same, very soft matresses. I had to sleep on the couch because it was more confortable and firm that the bed.
It is unfortunate because for the rest, we loved that hotel but because of the beds, we won't go back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Stayed four nights and it was everything we expected. The staff was friendly and helpful and the turn down service was a nice added bonus. Super convenient that it was connected to the mall! Great location and close to everything! Will definitely stay again next time we're in town!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
TomSegesta, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Chicago (A Four Seasons Hotel), responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear M_Mx28,

I am extremely pleased to hear we met all of your expectations on your first stay at The Ritz Carlton Hotel Chicago. We sincerely appreciate your time giving us feedback on your experience and please know your kind words will be shared with all of the staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back for your next visit!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Stayed for 5 nights in March 2013. Room was nothing spectacular. We had one facing Lake Michigan. It was clean and relatively simple. The reality is that this is probably more like a 4.5 star hotel. However, what makes this better than the rest is the service. It is fairly rare to find decent service anymore. Thankfully, you still can at the Ritz.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Stayed a three night long weekend at The Ritz Carlton Chicago in April 2013 and the property certainly was what I expected from a Four Seasons managed hotel. Though as mentioned in other reviews, elevators in two different sections may be a nuisance for some, but for me it was an added bonus as I was able to access the shopping mall at the Water Tower more easily. Stayed in a King Lake View room and the view was terrific looking west facing the lake. Room service breakfast each day was delicious with prompt delivery. Overall a great looking hotel with the top notch service that Four Seasons does so well.

Room Tip: Platinum AMEX will get you a credit and free breakfast
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear jo2er,

Thank you for choosing The Ritz Carlton Hotel Chicago for your windy city weekend get-a-way this past April! I am happy to hear you found our convenient connection to the Water Tower Place to your liking as well as enjoyed your Lake view room and daily room service. We greatly appreciate the feedback and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

The Ritz Carlton enjoys a good location within Chicago, and rising up to 31 floors above the city, the views from the north end of the building are excellent. However, the location is somewhat inconvenient for driving up (Pearson is dead easy to get to, but the layout is not conducive to driving up, and the parking attendants are confusing/not terribly helpful), and as the building is multi-purpose, the lobby is somewhat inconveniently located on the twelfth floor. However, the lobby space is impressive and well utilised with a decent (though not outstanding) restaurant and bar (with expensive but unimpressive speciality cocktails--best bet to stick with something like a gin and tonic--and spicy nuts, but you can request plain nuts). In evenings at the weekend there is live music, comprising a piano, standards-singer and sometimes bass.

The rooms are somewhat small in comparison to other hotels in the city and by no means particularly opulent (see pictures on website; they are representative). Shower water pressure is so-so. The shower and toilet are in a small room together and that space is somewhat difficult to navigate. While wifi is free, it is slow (unusably slow for Citrix connections), and the "premium" wifi costs $12/night.

The staff were competent if a little distant and not at the level of friendliness/helpfulness one might expect at a five-star hotel. They seem under-staffed, and there was often a wait at the concierge/reception desk.

It is a not a particularly child-friendly hotel. The pool, when it was open (it was closed half the time I stayed), was not particularly fun for the kids and it was clear nobody wanted the kids to go swimming anyway. There were not really activities for the kids; there was talk of either a goodie-bag or "candy-man" coming to my niece's room, but it never materialised. With a number of points in the stay, I expect service could have been improved if I complained more, but life is about value judgments, and it should not be necessary to complain about value-judgment-type things at a five-star hotel.

I stayed for seven nights. There was nothing infuriating about the stay but at the same time nothing endearing. I would sooner choose another location in Chicago than stay here again.

Room Tip: To the extent you are able, request a room on a high floor with a north facing view: you will see th...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Tom Segesta

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Chicago (A Four Seasons Hotel)? Share your experiences!