“They treat your children like royalty...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton Chicago (A Four Seasons Hotel)

Save Saved
You added The Ritz-Carlton Chicago (A Four Seasons Hotel) to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton Chicago (A Four Seasons Hotel)
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   160 E Pearson St at Water Tower Place, Chicago, IL 60611-2124 (Gold Coast)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #13 of 171 Hotels in Chicago
Saint Charles, Illinois
“They treat your children like royalty...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

There are so many extras offered just for children. They are greeted upon arrival and made to feel special. They can bake cookies with the pastry chefs, the Candy Lady will deliver candies to the room, they show movies in the swimming pool...what other five star hotel caters to your children in this manner? Disney maybe, but not like this. There is something for everybody here. I highly recommend giving it a try.

Room Tip: I doubt there is a bad one in the building, but the Ambassador Suite is lovely.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
TomSegesta, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Chicago (A Four Seasons Hotel), responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are thrilled to hear that you and your family enjoyed their time with us. We adore our "Ritz Kids" and enjoy giving them the VIP treatment! Details such as our Cookie Baking Class and Dive In Movie are what set us apart from other hotels, and we are so glad you experienced these during your stay with us.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Tom Segesta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Ritz on 12/30 and it was wonderful. We had a view looking towards the east so we could see the city and the lake. The hotel was right off of Michigan Avenue and really close to shopping, restaurants, etc. The only bad thing was it cost $50 to park there over night. Maybe that's par for the course but it seemed steep.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
TomSegesta, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Chicago (A Four Seasons Hotel), responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your Trip Advisor review! We sincerely appreciate and value your feedback in our continual pursuit to enhance the total guest experience.

We look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back to The Ritz-Carlton Chicago soon!

Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We've been staying at the Ritz Carlton for over 20 years. It's always been a great hotel, but it did go through a period when it looked tired and worn out. Well now it's back to it's glory. We look forward to coming back soon.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
TomSegesta, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Chicago (A Four Seasons Hotel), responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, and that we once again provided the positive experience that you have come to expect from our team. It thrills us to know that you have been a guest of our property for so many years.

Thank you again for taking the time to provide your valued feedback. We look forward to the next 20 years with you!

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I am a Type A Traveller......I want a luxurious product with great service at the right price. The Ritz-Carlton Chicago delivered! A little background on how I finally selected this property. Every October, there are three ladies who want to indulge in a fun shopping and dining long weekend.. When we have visited Chicago, we have previously stayed at the Four Seasons (the sister hotel of the RC). Every year that we decide that Chicago will be our getaway weekend, I check out the ratings and prices for the hotels that command the best location for shopping (i.e. close proximity for dropping off the newly purchased goods before venturing out for more :) )In my humble estimation, the best located hotels for this shopping "buy and drop" are the Ritz-Carlton, Park Hyatt, Four Seasons and the Pennisula. So, the choices have been narrowed.....next....we require 2 washrooms and we each want to have our own bed. The Ritz-Carlton secured our business with the Michigan Avenue Deluxe Executive Suite at the right price! Sorry to the runners up.....you will have to try harder next year!

Arrival:

Prompt and courteous greeting from the Doorman with helpful assistance for our almost empty suitcases. Oh and a quick wave to Stedman (Oprah's Stedman) who was arriving at the same time as us and valeting his car with the doorman of the RC residences. (WOW...Stedman is tall and handsome.)

We were escorted to the elevators that delivered us to a beautiful open foyer and lobby. Check in was a breeze and we were quickly on our way to our suite!

Suite Amenities:

Our suite had 2 full washrooms (with a bathtub/shower combo in each) living area that they had brought in the most comfortable rollaway bed and a bedroom area with 2 twin beds. This was perfect for the three of us and more reasonably priced than electing to have 2 connecting rooms.
The suite had a contemporary feel but not a "cold" feel that I sometimes experience with a more modern decor. One thing that I did notice about this hotel is that it had low ceilings both in the suite and the hallways....not off putting but definitely noticeable. Linens were divine, room attendants great!

Restaurants and Lobby Bar:

A very open concept which was great for people watching. The Lobby Bar had a singer/pianist on the weekend which was great for settling down with a nightcap. Oh and to mention....the restaurant had their bottles of wine on for 1/2 price during the weekdays (not on weekends)...something worth checking out as their dining menu and service were very good.

Location, location, location!

We all agreed that we preferred this location to the Four Seasons. We were more central to all of the big shopping venues....and again that buy and drop affectation. :)

Checkout:

Bill was accurate and we were on our way to the airport with 2 rather heavy and very full suitcases. (Mission accomplished) I would definitely return to the Ritz-Carlton for the location, the service and the luxury. In fact, my daughter and I are considering a quick jaunt in April!

Happy and Safe travels.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor to escape some of the siren noise at night.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
TomSegesta, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Chicago (A Four Seasons Hotel), responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We could not be happier to hear that your experience was a positive one! Attention to details and high service standards are what set us apart from other properties, and it thrills us to know that you received these during your stay.

Detailed feedback such as yours is truly invaluable, and we thank you once again for taking the time to provide it. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future - hopefully in April!

Best Regards,
Darien, Connecticut, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel in a great location. A block from Michigan Ave. so you are close to all the action. Very nice and comfortable lobby.

Had room service twice and food was excellent! Although the pot of code I ordered in the morning took almost 30 minutes to get there rather than the 10 promised.

The room was comfortable and clean. Nice spacious work area and a very comfortable bed.

This was my first time staying at this hotel in Chicago, I am going again in 2 weeks and am definitely staying there again. The other hotels do not compare.

• Stayed January 2013
TomSegesta, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Chicago (A Four Seasons Hotel), responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us! I do apologize for the long wait time in receiving your In Room Dining order, however - you absolutely should have received the order in the amount of time specified to you. Details and attention to service are what set us apart as a hotel and we strive to ensure that all standards are consistently met!

Thank you again for taking the time to provide feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to the city very soon!

Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

It is a rare occurrence that you get to stay overnight in a hotel in your hometown. My husband and I stayed here recently in connection with a holiday party which was being held at the Museum of Contemporary Art across from the hotel. We had just the standard hotel room although we were offered an upgrade for an additional $75. The room was lovely and from it we could see Navy Pier and Lake Michigan and so were treated to a gorgeous sunrise. The king-size bed was so comfortable! The portion of the bathroom where the toilet and shower were located was a bit tight as you had to step all the way into the room to close the door. However, there was plenty of room where the double-sinks were located. Service was top notch. I would recommend having a drink in the lobby bar just to people watch. Mixed drinks and wine are reasonably priced for the area and you can also order some great appetizers if the mixed nuts are not enough for you. We had brunch in the hotel restaurant and it was very good.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! "Staycations" are something we are always happy to hear about as we simply love the city of Chicago. Thank you also for your review of deca RESTAURANT+BAR, and please know that I will share your lovely comments with our entire hotel team.

Thank you again for taking the time to provide feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back sometime soon!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying here for five nights during a business trip. Almost booked at the Omni--grateful I opted for the Ritz instead. Not sure where to begin. The location is phenomenal, steps off the Magnificent Mile but far enough back to avoid the noise. Fantastic views from the rooms; My room faced south but I had an amazing view of the lake just blocks to the east. I'm so glad that the Ritz participates in my employer's negotiated rate program; for the same cost I could have stayed at any of the hotels along the magnificent miles or in the loop but none would have come close to the level of the Ritz. OK, enough about the not-to-be-beat location. The room itself was fantastic. Large, luxurious and reeking of refinement. Spacious bath, spacious room, nice mini-bar. Impeccably clean. Incredibly comfortable bed. Nice arm chair, desk, adequate lighting. A+ on lots of little things that make you forget you're not actually enjoying the comforts of home. Seriously, they've dotted all of the "i"s and crossed all of the "t"s. Quiet A/C. Fantastic lobby in the sky as the first few floors of this building are part of the attached shopping mall. A bit disorienting/confusing upon arrival; desk clerk at car port escorts you to dedicated elevator to sky lobby. Front desk clerks are beyond friendly and helpful. Incredibly helpful with transportation/attraction suggestions--just what you'd expect at a 4 star property. They then direct you to separate bank of elevators to room floors. Exquisite attended business center, gratis for guests, including printing. Didn't use room service or eat in the lobby restaurant/bar so can't comment on them. Didn't use on-site parking so can't comment there either. I was confused the first day by the set up of the street entrance/lobby until I learned it is shared by luxury condos on higher floors (using separate elevator bank). Only complaint: the doormen servicing the street-side entrance/lobby seemed not to be consistently attentive/well-trained. On one or two occasions the doorman on duty attempted to open a door for me or ask me if I needed a cab but more often than not was inattentive, engaged in conversation with a fellow doorman or deliberately ignored me. What's up with that? Not a deal-breaker but this was the only inconsistency with the total pampering I experienced during my five night stay. I'd definitely stay here again next time business or pleasure brings me to Chicago.

Room Tip: Don't even think of staying anywhere else!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience at our property! It truly means the world to receive feedback from our guests, and please know that I have shared your comments with our entire team.

I do apologize for the inconsistent attentiveness from our Front Door Team. You absolutely should have received the same courteous attention with each interaction. These details and attention to service are what set us apart as a hotel and we strive to deliver these to our guests each and every day.

Tom Segesta

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Chicago (A Four Seasons Hotel)? Share your experiences!