“It ain't like it use to be!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton Chicago (A Four Seasons Hotel)

You added The Ritz-Carlton Chicago (A Four Seasons Hotel) to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton Chicago (A Four Seasons Hotel)
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   160 E Pearson St at Water Tower Place, Chicago, IL 60611-2124 (Magnificent Mile)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Third Night Free
Ranked #10 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Clarksville Tennessee
“It ain't like it use to be!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

We have stayed at the Chicago Ritz in Water Tower Place for several years and it was truly one the US's finest hotels. We missed a few years and came back this December and it's gone from 5 to 4 stars. One example, how often do you pay over $400 a night then get charged an extra $10 a day for wi fi. It just isn't as classy a place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
TomSegesta, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Chicago (A Four Seasons Hotel), responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us, but I apologize for any details that were missing from your experience. Although our basic WiFi capabilities are complimentary to all guests, we do offer the additional charge for use of a higher speed connection. Please do let us know if this was not clearly communicated to you during your visit as it is a service standard for all team members.

As for the other details that were missing, please know that we always strive to deliver the very best service at all times. These details and attention to service are what set us apart as a hotel and I'm very sorry to hear you did not experience all of them.

Thank you again for taking the time to provide feedback. We hope to welcome you back to prove our value to you. Please contact me for any future reservations at thomas.segesta@fourseasons.com.

Best,
Tom Segesta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

On 12/7 through 12/9, I celebrated my Mom's 80th birthday at The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Chicago with a weekend get-a-way. I knew I wanted to mark her special day with something she would remember forever, and The Ritz-Carlton created such a beautiful experience for her that I just had to mention it here.

A few months back, I stopped by the hotel and had the immense pleasure of working with concierge Terry to arrange things for Mom (flowers delivered to the room, a special birthday cake presented to her at Deca [their wonderful restaurant], etc.), and I knew just from his enthusiasm and sincerity that Mom would be in for the time of her life. And how true that was!

Upon our check in, we were so warmly greeted, and Mom received a special birthday well-wish from the Front Desk. I tell you, the Front Desk and Concierge staff of the Chicago Ritz-Carlton are the most perfect representation of the Four Seasons family of hotels I have ever experienced!

So many five-star hotels have a staff of snooty types who make their guests feel less than adequate in their presence. Not The Ritz-Carlton Chicago. Their guests feel the warmth immediately from the Door Man to the Front Desk/Concierge reception employees to everyone at Deca to the Housekeeping staff. Everyone there is the definitive template of how a hotel should be run, and they need to be recognized by the President of Four Seasons for their remarkable service, professionalism and dedication to their guests. No other hotel in the world is finer than this one. Pure perfection!

The room was amazing! Had a wonderful view of the city and Navy Pier. Mom and I loved the sumptuous beds and gorgeous attention to detail. The roses sent to the room were absolutely stunning, dinner at Deca was magnificent and the special birthday cake was the best she ever ate.

Along with Concierge Terry, I also want to mention Ashley the VIP Guest Relations Coordinator who was so amazing to me upon check out. Rarely have there been two more priceless employees as they are, and they deserve special recognition for their kindness and courtesy.

Although I wish I can have my beloved Mom with me forever, I know that this cannot be. What does endure are memories of those we love and how we celebrate their lives while they are with us. Everyone at The Ritz-Carlton Chicago has created such a beautiful memory for me and the time I shared with my Mom in celebration of her 80th birthday that I cannot thank them enough. This will live in my heart forever.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
TomSegesta, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Chicago (A Four Seasons Hotel), responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your Trip Advisor review! We sincerely appreciate and value your feedback in our continual pursuit to enhance the total guest experience.

We look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back to The Ritz-Carlton Chicago soon!

Barbara
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

A trip to Chicago is never complete withuta stay at our favorite hotel there, the Ritz Carlton. Ideally located at Watertower Place, the Ritz is just a welcoming respite with a fabulous staff and lovely rooms. As in all hotels, some rooms are better than others (size, location) and this is also true at athe Ritz..although all rooms have the same quality appointments. A few disappointments this time, however: theirr reknowned dining room is gone, and the only restaurant available in October was in the lobby. Nice, but not up to par. Renovations are also going on in their famous lobby bar and a temporary wall was built until spring (?)) when a new larger bar and restaurant will overlook Lake Michigan. I'll return again, but hopefully all will be back to normal. Prices are not for the fainthearted.

Room Tip: Ask for lake views, be a repeat customer
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Bel Air, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Had a conference at this hotel. Great location, clean, VERY comfy beds!!! Very polite staff from the minute we were dropped off at the door to the registration folks.
A couple of things that made this a 4 star vs 5 star for me....hardly any water pressure in shower, took forever to rinse my hair. On the last day, there was only scalding hot water in the shower, no cold or in between. OUCH! And the conference rooms were absolutely freezing as were the hallways to our rooms. You could feel the AC coming down on you and I was there in December!
Had drinks at the bar that were horrible. Not sure the bartender knew how to make our drinks and we didn't ask for anything special.
All in all I would stay here again if I were coming back to Chicago for a visit.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us, but I apologize for the details missing from your experience. You absolutely should have had a consistent shower in both pressure and temperature, and I have followed up with our engineering staff in regards to this. We regret to hear of the uncomfortable temperatures in your meeting room as well; we strive to attain the perfect atmosphere for all guests to be comfortable in and I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectation. Details and attention to service are what set us apart as a hotel and I'm sorry to hear you did not experience all of them.

Thank you again for taking the time to provide feedback. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel during your next visit to Chicago. Please feel free to contact me directly if I may provide any assistance: thomas.segesta@fourseasons.com.

Best,
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

This classic Chicago hotel remains superb, especially for business travel. The large 12th floor lobby makes up for the bland ground floor lack of curb appeal. The rooms were nicely upgraded and smartly designed. TV swivels, lots of outlets, smart lights and furniture. GREAT for sleeping, quiet and lots of light blocking options. Room service was fast and flavorful. Service was a cut above a typical Ritz. The location near the Watertower place is also great. There were a lot of staff members around to get what I needed and they were extremely friendly and fast. Price was reasonable too for Ritz. The food at Deca Restaurant located in the lobby was very good. I found the tall and open restaurant to be lacking in warmth, but the food and service made up for it. Wifi was a bit slow, but HD TV was very good. Also, thanks to being one of only a handful of hotels that still have a MINI-BAR... because when you need a Diet Coke... you don't want to take an elevator 25 floors to hunt for it. Bathroom was clean and modern. Decor is very classy...

Room Tip: City view is nice, but some raved about the Lake View rooms. Ask for a view if you will be in the ro...

Saint Louis, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We have stayed here three times and plan to return. Although relatively pricy, the location and service are great. Rooms are clean and fairly roomy. You can shop in the Water Tower without going outside which is a plus during winter. And best of all they allow pets without an additional fee and provide bowls and Evian water!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

this is one of the nicest hotels in downtown Chicago - not just because of its location and ambience - but because the staff go above and beyond to help people.
great room and great exercise facility. bed was superb - and room was incredibly quiet.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Tom Segesta

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Chicago (A Four Seasons Hotel)? Share your experiences!