I am a frequent RC customer and think the brand is excellent. This location being managed by the Four Season raised my expectations even more. Some of my review may seem tick-tack but it does distinguish this location from others in a less favorable light and therefore is worthy of mention:
1. The lobby is huge and the water fountain gives it appeal but it all gets lost with a certain lack of intimacy. The seats at the windows are high-back chairs which serve to interrupt the aesthetics and view in my opinion. The rock ledge outside the windows is unattractive. I had expected the same feel you get at the Mandarin Oriental in NYC or the Four Seasons in Miami. This isn't in that league.
2. The small bar in the lobby has no TV. There is no other bar anywhere in the hotel. Big swing and miss.
3. The lobby restaurant is a bit cold and antiseptic, large spacious open area, like eating at an indoor food court. Harsh? Maybe. Food was good.
4. Service: RC employees alwasy use your name when addressing you. It's what you come to expect. That is not the case here and I found that to be revealing.
5. Rooms were about what you would expect at an RC.
6. Location, excellent as reported but so are a huge number of other hotels in Chicago.
Overall, I would not stay here again and that's the first RC I can say that about, really, yet, I can see the appeal if you haven't tasted other RC locations.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
February 14, 2012
Report response as inappropriate
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I'm sorry to hear your stay did not live up to expectations. Please be assured I have followed up with the appropriate staff members regarding your concerns and we will certainly use your feedback to improve moving forward.
We would love to welcome you back again as a chance to improve your experience with The Ritz-Carlton Chicago. Please contact me directly for any future reservations at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you again for your time and for sharing your feedback with us.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.