“Really Nice - for Pets?” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Palmer House Hilton

You added The Palmer House Hilton to your Saves list
The Palmer House Hilton
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17 East Monroe Street, Box 75845, Chicago, IL 60603 (Downtown / The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Early for Summer!
Ranked #86 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Thousand Oaks, California
“Really Nice - for Pets?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

OK, let’s get the bad out of the way – there IS a lot of good for the Palmer; read on.

My wife and I were part of a group of 20 or so that attended a wedding in nearby Springfield over the Holiday weekend, took a train into Chicago and arrived late afternoon. Checked in, dropped our bags in our rooms and went to dinner. Got back and basically went to bed. Next morning, starting to organize things and getting ready for our first Go Chicago tour, I felt something squishy under my foot. Surprise! Dog Poop!!! Found several other “treasures” fully intact out of the normal traffic path in the room. Turns out that The Palmer House is a “pet-friendly” hotel, something none in our group were aware of. I guess it’s a policy going back many decades accommodating famous (and not so famous) guests and their pets. Fine. We notified hotel staff and were moved to a really nice room – same rate. But we almost missed our planned tour with the rest of our group. And happened to notice another “treasure” in the hallway along the way…

This isn’t altogether the hotel’s fault. How housekeeping managed to clean our room missing the poop is a bit of mystery. But, pet owners need to be responsible for their animals – my wife and I are for ours. I could go on, however, suggestion for the hotel management of today. Maybe only have pet-friendly areas (floors/rooms) that have coarse sand or kitty litter for flooring in the rooms and hallways, instead of the nice, plush carpeting in the hallways and dark brown carpeting in the rooms that hide many ills. (I found many stains on ours looking closely with a flashlight before we vacated our first room.) Perhaps offer a pet service for guests that can’t or won’t take responsibility for their pets. And a surcharge for pet-guest rooms and have a staff person personally check out a pet room before releasing it to operations for next guests. When we checked out, I discovered that while I had changed our flights for a day earlier, I apparently forgot to change our last night at The Palmer. Finally negotiated to a $50 “early checkout fee”. By the way, the basic rooms and especially bathrooms are quite small, similar to a river cruise room.

Now the good. The Palmer House is what I would call THE Grand Dame of Hotels for Chicago, going back to the 1870’s in it’s current form. The original was destroyed in the great fire shortly after being built. It has served a number of dignitaries and famous people over the decades. The hotel has undergone a major restoration over the last 7 or so years at a substantial cost (around $160+ million), and it shows. The rooms, although small, have been re-done, new sinks, bathrooms, beds, wall coverings etc. They managed to retain the original flooring in most bathrooms it appears (granite?) Our first night we happened upon a bartender in the main lobby and while serving us and even though her shift was over, she shared some history. S (didn’t write down her name) has been at The Palmer for 13+ years, and if the hotel were a museum (and in a way it is) she could be it’s curator, or at least a lead docent. The lobby is exquisite, the ceiling is reminiscent of the Vatican in Rome – restoration finished last year. The restored Tiffany fixtures adorning the walls and staircase are magnificent. The original marble floor has been exposed and polished, although damaged from nails having been carpeted over for many years. Staff is generally helpful and friendly, the Freshii and Starbucks are great for a quick start in the morning.

Bottom line, do go to the Palmer House at least for drinks and check out the grand lobby. And If you do stay, it’s a great location, central to a lot of sights and restaurants. But be sure to bring a flashlight and pooper-scooper

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,155)
  • Turkish first
Martin, SD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

We wanted an affordable place near millenium park and got it. There's a cvs right across the street and a great juice bar in hotel.
Beautiful decor although our room could have used a fridge. Also despite great location, there's no view of city. Totally fine though, overall we were pleased! Actually wound up staying an extra night!

Stayed July 2014
Bucks County, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Got a very good deal for the first week in July. Cannot beat the location. close to major attractions at Lakefront, Michigan Ave, the Loop. Hop on the El to go elsewhere in Chicago.
room was spacious and bed was very good. Parking is steep at $42/night but palatable with room rate. the lobby is something special and worth the visit even if you do not stay there. In room wifi at $10 is a bit over the top but they have computers and printers off the lobby for use. Pet friendly

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Toledo, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

Let me preface this by saying that this is the third time I have stayed at the Palmer House Hilton. My first two experiences were significantly better than the last. We checked in on Friday and were able to check in early without hassle (always a plus) and given a larger room than my previous stays as well. The room appeared to be clean and spacious with a sitting area in addition to two double beds. However, all of this becomes insignificant during our first night's sleep. I was traveling with my brother, and I wake up at 6 am to hear him climbing out of his bed. I see he has his phone flashlight on and asked him what was going on and he replies that there was a cockroach crawling on him. Thinking he was probably dreaming, I flipped on the bedside light and got up to see a large cockroach under his pillow. I immediately called the front desk, and they offered to have housekeeping come up to change the linens. I let them know that we would prefer a room change all together (who knows how many more there were!) They obliged and said they would send a bellman up to move us. In the meantime, we re-packed all of our things and then we were able to trap the sucker under a glass as we wanted to be sure we had proof (see picture). We showed the bellman and he casually squished it with a tissue and flushed it down the toilet. We were moved to the top floor and given a note that said we would also receive free breakfast and appetizers on the executive floor in our new room. We got to the new room and it was considerably smaller than our previous room, but appeared clean and bug free so we attempted to go back to sleep for a little while (after taking showers). It was extremely difficult to sleep the following night as well even after I took a flashlight under the beds (bad idea if you're a clean freak...they were disgusting, but at least no bugs). Upon checkout I went to the front desk and politely explained the issue, armed with the picture that I had on my phone as well. The clerk didn't want to look at the picture and said that we had been moved to the top floor and given the breakfast/appetizers (which we weren't able to take advantage of due to other plans). I said I understood, but because I was forced up in the middle of the night and made to re-pack bags, etc. I thought there was something else they might be able to do and asked to speak with a manager to explain the situation. The clerk then disappeared behind a curtain and returned 5+ minutes later to say the manager was prepared to offer one free day of valet parking. I explained that I really thought that the first night's stay should be compensated as our entire stay was disturbed. He clicked about 50 times on the computer and after about a minute of silence said "he guessed" they could do that. I wish I would have been able to talk to a manager directly, and I certainly don't think I should have had to "beg" for one night to be compensated based on our experience. It could have been handled much better especially because I don't think my request was unreasonable, and I was completely calm and respectful when I explained the situation. I know that it is not the clerk's fault, but I am a little annoyed a manager didn't even have the courtesy to come out and speak to me in person and tried to wiggle out of simply compensating one night of our stay that was disturbed due to their pest infestation. I will definitely not be returning and would encourage others to explore the many other options for a hotel stay in Chicago.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
npyles, Manager at The Palmer House Hilton, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
We are deeply sorry to hear of your experience while staying with us. We understand why would decide not to stay with us and try to influence others to do the same, and respect that decision based off your recent experience at our property. While compensation was offered for the encounter we, like you, would have preferred it to have never happened in the first place.

It is important for the reader to know that we do not take “pest infestations” or pest complaints lightly. While this particular interaction did occur at our hotel, it is important to know that we regret the way that this problem was addressed and have used, and will continue to use this particular interaction to better train our staff in the future. It is also important to note that our hotel does not have a “pest infestation” and that when we are properly notified of any such activity or claim we address it urgency and thoroughness.

Nick
Long Beach, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

The Palmer House is a beautiful Chicago hotel, well located within walking distance to Millenium Park, the Art Institute of Chicago, the Field Museum, the theater district, and many other attractions. Rooms are comfortably large, with large windows and high ceilings. The services are tops, the lobby is gorgeous and always full of activity. We had a great time.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Newbury Park, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

Love the hotel and the room except for one thing, the toilet paper holder was in the way of sitting down on the toilet. So, you have to be a contortionist to use it. In-room WiFi is $13/night which seems excessive, but not unusual for downtown hotels. It bothered me I had to run down to Starbucks for the connection.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Orange County
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

This hotel has so much potential, but the staff are terrible at their jobs.

I had the worst experience at this hotel. Our stay was a huge mess.

After reading some reviews on tripadvisor and seeing the beautiful lobby, we decided to give this hotel a try.

A month before our stay, we contacted the hotel and told them we were arriving late around 1:00am. We wanted to make sure a room will be available for us. We planned our business trip through an airlines travel package. They said everything is perfect.

Once we arrived at the hotel, the clerk was a grumpy old man. He was very rude and not helpful. We went up to our room and it was the worlds tinniest hotel room. It was a prison cell. It was literally the size of my walk-in closet. We went down stairs to complain, and the man said it was the only room available. The hotel was completely booked. The room was meant to be an extension of another main room for kids. We explained that we contacted the hotel a month in advance to let them know we were arriving late. He didnt care. He said that what happens when you dont reserve a room through them.

We asked to see a manager, and he stated the manager wont be in until 7am. We told him we will wait in the lobby until 7am. He laughed at us, and I said "i dont think this is funny at all". My girlfriend is claustrophobic, so the room was way too tiny for her. He finally gave us a different room. We finally made it up to our new room around 2:00am. There were pubic hairs on the bathroom towels. It was disgusting. The room was very dated and falling apart.

My girlfriend went to her business meeting in the morning and told her fellow business partners about the accommodations at this hotel. It turns out her business partner had high up connections in the Hilton organization. His friend placed a phone call to hotel management. We were immediately moved to a better room.

If we didnt have the connections, then they would had continued to treat us badly. It was a terrible experience.

Room Tip: Ask for the modern room. Do not settle for the tiny room. Demand another room or leave the hotel