“Balance Spa at Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Palmer House Hilton

You added The Palmer House Hilton to your Saves list
The Palmer House Hilton
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17 East Monroe Street, Box 75845, Chicago, IL 60603 (The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Cyber Offer - Save Now
Ranked #85 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Chicago, Illinois
“Balance Spa at Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

I had a groupon for a facial and a massage for about $100. I would say it was worth it. I don't think I would pay $100 for just a 50 min massage unless I had a royal treatment and I knew beforehand the massage therapist was experienced. The spa was clean spacious and I felt welcomed by the staff. I arrived late due to traffic and lobby elevators were extremely slow. Note: there was a high school conference with 1000 kids running around the hotel so that is probably why elevators were slow. They took the time off of my appointment, which I thought was unfortunate, but I understand if they are busy (but didn't appear so).

Facial: I did not like the pumpkin odor of the scrub used, it was just too strong and I'm not a fan of pumpkin. I did end up buying a white tea moisturizer she used, it smelled wonderful and in Chicago it's a must. She wore gloves and only her fingers for extractions.

Massage: Osha (spelling not sure) gave me a sweedish massage and concentrated on my back. It was more of a sports massage than a relaxing calming massage, not to say it was bad or anything. She just had quick movements. I am sensitive to the back of my calves and she was respectful and applied the *perfect* amount of pressure to my calves.

I would give the professionals 5/5, but the spa itself was more clinical than relaxation. The spa was chilly, so the heated beds were nice. I used the shower before dressing. It was nice and clean but the atmosphere could use a little more spa culture (water fountain, communal area for hot tea, etc. some heat to keep it warm, the furniture was not that comfortable). It was just ok.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Julie T, Manager at The Palmer House Hilton, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Thank you for your feedback on the spa, thrilled you enjoyed a relaxing moment. We appreciate the feedback and most certainly several of the points, in particular the atmosphere, are things we can change rather quickly. We look forward to hosting your next “spoil you” day.

Regards,

Julie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,061)
St. Louis, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

The Palmer House Hilton is an exceptional property in the Hilton Family and is one of their true Crown Jewels. Whenever in Chicago, I plan to stay there. I find the lobby to be an outstanding example of design and architecture and the overall experience represents true excellence of customer service. The staff, truly, treats you well and insures you have an enjoyable experience either for business or pleasure. I plan to return with family in June.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you very much for the kind words on our team and noticing that we strive to provide the very best personal service to each and every guest.

Kind regards,

Romeo, mi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

The wife and I spend a long romantic weekend here. We considered a lot of hotels before we made our reservation. I was drawn to the historical aspects of the hotel, but was worried that it would be run-down. Not the case. Our room, a “Hip” king, was clean and spacious, (especially for the heart of Chicago). Bed and pillows were excellent. The room even had a mini-fridge, which surprised me. We were on a corner on the 19th floor, so train noise was not a problem. The room was quiet, for the most part, except during the day when I think they were working on some pipes and the clanking sound filtered to the room. Service was excellent. Hilton could hire some more desk clerks though, as there was only one on duty when we checked in and about four parties in line. Clerk was very efficient though and moved the line along smartly. We got a good rate from Orbitz, about $100 per night. Loved the Palmer House trivia feeds on the T.V. and in the elevators. Found out Pat Sajack was a desk clerk there during the 1960's. Although I prefer the River North area when staying in Chicago, I would stay here again if the price is right, if for nothing else than for the spectacular lobby!

Room Tip: 19th floor toward the back of the hotel. No city view, but hardly any train, street noise.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us at The Palmer House and you enjoyed the wonderful winter promotions that we are featuring. We pride ourselves on the service provided and the updated schemes to our rooms that work also to celebrate our history. We do hope to be of service to you in the future.

Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

The ambiance of the hotel is impressive, with a beautiful lobby and ground floor adorned with sculptures and lights. The room was pretty solid too with nice beds, a sexy couch and a nice HD TV!

The bathroom, however, was a joke. It was WAY too small I could barely stand in it and the bathroom lacked some necessary amenities such as toothbrush and toothpaste and a fan, thank god I brought my own-- also, the lifts are really scarce (there are only 6 lifts that serve 25 floors and not all the lifts go to your floor), that causes the wait for lifts to be very long and it can be a pain at times. Also, no complimentary breakfast was provided, making it a major turnoff.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing the railway tracks are great
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Julie T, Manager at The Palmer House Hilton, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us at the Palmer House. I am very sorry you experienced a wait time for our elevators, we have nine that service groupings of floors as to minimize wait times, and we will have someone look into this. We gladly deliver any items that you may have left behind, chose not to travel with, or would simply like to have, just give us a ring and we will get them right to you.

Kind regards,

Clearwater, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

My family was at the Palmer House for a wedding and found the hotel and neighboring area accommodating to whatever we needed. From a simple breakfast, to elegant dining. Shopping of all kinds, as well as transportation to wherever we needed to go. Overall a wonderful experience.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for staying with us at the Palmer House, we are most definitely in the middle of it all and getting around is very simple. Happy you enjoyed a wonderful stay!

Bethalto, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

The hotel was beautiful, the rooms were nice and clean. I ate at the hotel several times and the food was always great. The front desk staff was very friendly. The only negative experience that I had was the hostess in the resterant was rude, but we still had a great time at the hotel.

• Stayed February 2014
Thank you for allowing our team to host you at the Palmer House and that you enjoyed Lockwood, we are so very proud. We will surely investigate your feedback regarding the hostess and do hope this does not deter you from being our guest again.

Regards,

Front Royal, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

Disappointed that I only stayed their one night. The room was cosy yet luxurious. No problem getting a cab as there seemed to always be a bellman at the front door. Employees I came in contact with were invariable, friendly, professional, and knowledgeable.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Palmer House, our rooms are cozy. Hopefully we can cure your disappointed with a longer stay next time and very soon!

Julie

Been to The Palmer House Hilton? Share your experiences!