“Lovely Hotel in The Heart of The City” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Palmer House Hilton

You added The Palmer House Hilton to your Saves list
The Palmer House Hilton
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17 East Monroe Street, Box 75845, Chicago, IL 60603 (The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Park Chill & Save: $124+
Ranked #85 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Morton Grove, Illinois
“Lovely Hotel in The Heart of The City”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

My spouse and me stayed at the Palmer House from 12/31 - 01/02/14. We were attending the Palmer House New Years Eve Soiree and did not think it would be wise or safe to drive home after the party so we stayed at the hotel.

I don't often write good reviews unless they are truly deserved. Also, my reviews are very long because I'm trying to give you all the information you need to make the best decision in terms of where you should stay.

I was impressed with this hotel. The lobby of the hotel is just lovely, stunning really. It's comfortable and inviting and the intricate detail and architecture is truly something to behold. In regard to the room. Our original room was the standard King and it was literally the size of a closet. It was a very small room with no view. This room looks much larger in the photos on the hotel's website so I was a bit surprised at how small the room actually was. The room was so small and uncomfortable I asked to be moved to a double. I was very happy the hotel accommodated us without a problem - that's good service. The difference between the two rooms is like day and night. The double room was huge in comparison to the King. There were two double beds, plenty of room to walk around, the bathroom and closet were adequate. I thought this room was very nice. The bathroom sink needs a little work but no big deal. The room you choose really depends on the number of people in your party and what you need. My spouse snores so the extra bed was really helpful. There was a noise problem in the double room and some of the front desk staff did not know what was going on which was strange. I found out there was construction going on on a floor above us which again was strange considering it was NYE but James Williams, the Front Office Manager explained the situation and was very nice and helpful regarding this situation. I was truly thankful for his understanding and help with the situation. This kind of service makes you want to return to a hotel.

This hotel has one of the largest and cleanest workout facilities I have ever seen. It is more than adequate and looks like it has been recently renovated. There is nice little 'bar' area above the workout room. The locker rooms are nice and the shower areas very nice as well. Even though I only had time to walk through these areas and did not have time to really use them - I could tell they were the types of amenities you would find in an upscale hotel. I wish I could have stayed longer to use them. The pool was on the small side and for some reason women's rooms were locked or hard to find. I'm sure there was a women's room somewhere, just seemed like the men's rooms were much more accessible as my spouse was with me and could attest to that fact.

The restaurants. Lockwood is upscale and expensive but the staff seemed nice. We were going to eat there but changed our minds. We didn't realize that nothing on the lunch menu would be available for dinner and we were not that hungry so we went around the corner to Miller's Pub which is great. The Lobby Bar is nice - good atmosphere and a few bar food options. There is also Potter's Lounge (very few food options) and a Starbucks in the hotel. This hotel is located in a very good area - walking distance to many restaurants and a CVS.

The best part of this hotel is the staff and this is critical for me - aside from the room. I want to mention a few people who I feel deserve kudos for their excellent customer service. James Williams the Front Office Manager was wonderful and was one of the only people to take the time to listen to my concerns and address them. He provided exceptional customer service. Amador was also very understanding and friendly. Serville and Lendell (sorry if I spelled their names wrong) were very nice and helpful. This hotel has many wonderful staff members and that is the foundation of a great hotel. It is this type of of customer service that would make me want to stay at this hotel again.

Despite a few little hiccups - this is a very nice hotel. Most of the staff work really hard to make sure customers are satisfied and that means so much.

FYI: I would advise against buying tickets to the NYE parties held at the Palmer House - this is not the fault of the hotel - it is the fault of unethical promoter(s) - so be wary of NYE parties held at hotels. You very rarely get what is promised. In our case we were ripped-off by the promoter but it wasn't the hotels fault so be cautious when buying NYE tickets. Also, be sure to read all the fine print when you purchase tickets from a third party source like Sulekha.com. They will say anything to get you to buy tickets to their events.

Room Tip: Get a double room for more space, unless you are comfortable in a really tight space. If you can get...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Julie T, Manager at The Palmer House Hilton, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Wow, thank you for the great and thorough review! We will be sure to share with James, he will be thrilled as are we.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,063)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for the first time. I stayed there for one night on New years eve 2013. I was meet by friendly front desk staff. I checked in and my room was ready. The main lobby of the hotel looks awesome. Overall the rooms were nice and clean. Bedding was clean and comfortable. This property is close to Millenium Park, Art institute, Michgan Ave and close to state street shopping and resturants.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review and for spending your evening ringing in the new year with us, looking forward to you staying with us again!
Tinley Park, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Stayed two nights after Christmas with family to enjoy after the holiday shopping. The hotel lobby is beautiful. Got great rates at $84 for Thursday and 95 for Friday night. Got there about 12:30pm and our rooms were ready. Got ajoining rooms as requested. Standard room with two full beds. Small room and beds small but very comfortable. The hotel is located between State Street shopping and Michigan Avenue shopping, both within walking distance. The pool area was nice but pool is pretty small. Went to 23rd floor for complimentary breakfast in the mornings and appetizers in the afternoon wit h Hilton Honors. Everything was good and does get crowded. Would definitely stay again at this hotel

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Julie T, Manager at The Palmer House Hilton, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Thank you for the great review and allowing us to be a part of your holiday celebration, we look forward to being of service to you again in the future.
Chatham, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

My room was beautifully appointed and unlike some of my travelling companions, it was a decent room size. The lobby is beautiful. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant was very good but most mornings I had breakfast just down the street at the Corner Cafe.

The only thing I wasn't pleased with was the internet service. I had read previous reviews and was prepared to pay the daily fee to access the internet. What I wasn't prepared for was the fact that the internet fee was per device. This is a real money grab.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the review, glad you had a good stay with us.
Naperville, Illinois, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Great hotel. If you are looking for a hotel that is close to EVERYTHING, this your hotel. The hotel is very nice. Great lobby area for mingling. Great lobby bar. Potter's is a nice place for drinks and food. Everything is good. Just when booking no need to book specifi room. We booked the King bed, when checked in we were told that they had no more king beds. On their website it say HIP & HISTORIC -KING Rate Details $$119 . Then double bed $105. So I booked and paid for King. Like I said when I got their they gave me a double, because they were all sold out on the king. So just pay the lower rate get thier early and get the king for the lower price. Since they are not going to guarantee what you paid for. Other than that great hotel. But they need to change that.

Room Tip: Book on other than their website usually gets you a lower price. You can walk to restaurants and Mag...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for a posting this review, happy you enjoyed a comfortable stay.
Freeport, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed at the Palmer House during the week of Thanksgiving on a quick family getaway to the city. This was our first stay at the Palmer House and we had a great experience. The hotel lobby is grand and the painted ceiling is a "must-see" whether you stay a the property or not. The room was spacious with two double beds and TWO bathrooms, a wonderful amenity for a family of four. The only challenge was hearing the noise of the trains at night so guests may want to ask if some rooms are quieter than others. We enjoyed the history of the hotel which is highlighted in literature available through the concierge or via the hotel's scheduled tours. Photos of famous entertainers line the hallways in remembrance of the incredible list of talent that has stayed and performed at the Palmer House over the years. We enjoyed the hotel's great location within walking distance to Millennium Park, the Art Museum, shopping, restaurants and theatre. The kids loved the fact that brownie originated at the Palmer House and they thoroughly enjoyed trying the original creation, which was rich and fudgy. Yum!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the lovely review. We are so happy we were a part of a nice family getaway. We are so very proud of our history and work to never take it for granted and the brownie…who can resist! We look forward to hosting you again.
Vermillion, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

My family and I stayed here on our 2nd trip to Chicago and my uncle, aunt, and cousins 1st. The hotel is located on Monroe. If you use MapQuest it says the address is like a state highway or something its not correct and confusing. Anyway the hotel lobby is huge. Chandeliers hanging from the ceiling and a restaurant is located to the left. The hotel has over 20 floors and the top few are executive suites. Our hotel room was very clean and nice but it wasn't really much more... exotic. The room was quiet small for the 2 of us and seemed smaller than a Holiday Inn room but had the same furniture. My only con was that the toilet paper holder was too far away from the toilet and I almost fell of trying the reach it. :-) Other then that the hotel was perfect.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Julie T, Manager at The Palmer House Hilton, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Thank you for your review, glad we were part of a great stay for you, we look forward to being of service to you again very soon!

Been to The Palmer House Hilton? Share your experiences!