“Changes final receipt after you leave & it's your fault” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Palmer House Hilton

You added The Palmer House Hilton to your Saves list
The Palmer House Hilton
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17 East Monroe Street, Box 75845, Chicago, IL 60603 (The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Cyber Offer - Save Now
Ranked #85 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Alexandria, Virginia
“Changes final receipt after you leave & it's your fault”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

The first two nights the television didn't work....called about it and was told it wasn't just my television. I guess that was supposed to make me feel better...it didn't. After a long day of meetings, all I wanted was to relax and enjoy the television. Didn't happen and no information was provided. The third morning, the elevators was out (I was on the 12th floor). I mentioned this to the staff and they said they were working on it, but to remember this was an old hotel. On my last night I went to the front desk and told the clerk I'd be leaving early the next morning and I wanted to ensure my bill was settled. She assured me that all was well and the final bill would be under my door at 4 am or so. I got up at about 6 to prepare to leave and the receipt was under the door as promised. I've been staying at Hilton's for 25 years and never had to check my bill for accuracy, so foolishly, I didn't this time either. The trip was business to be charged to the government and it was the end of he fiscal year so I rushed my voucher brought only to check my account and find I'd been charged an additional $151+ on my credit card. I called and was transferred no less than 6 times finally I got to a female who basically said it was my fault. I had no problem with the charge but felt, and still feel, he hotel should have charged me properly the first time. Based on the antagonistic attitude of the staff when I called, I'd never ever stay here again nor would I recommend anyone else.

Room Tip: Check, double check and triple check charges...if you don't these folks blame you for trusting t...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,061)
Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I booked the Palmer House for 6 nights because a friend of mine recommended it. She told me it was central but because she never used public transportation she didn’t know how central.
The hotel is a huge, classical, renovated hotel. It is probably the biggest one I have been to. it has 23 or 25 floors and lots of rooms on every floor.

The public areas are beautiful, but the hotel is too busy, and the clients vary, from wedding crowds to business people or a high school basketball team.

The room we got was on an inner shaft. The deco and furniture were nice but because it was on an inner shaft, it was dark and felt dingy. Since the carpet was sticky we asked to change, but every other room they showed us was either on an inner shaf, or worse, on the wing where even with a close window you could hear the L train. On the following day we were moved to bigger and nicer room on the 21st floor with a view on the Monroe side of the hotel as well as the Navy Pier fireworks!!! We loved the room. Moving there really made a difference.

Everything was so close: the park, the museum, architectural society. All the restaurants and most of the shops. When we had to travel, the L train took us everywhere.
Staying there made us feel truly "Urban" this really was the Chicago experience.

Room Tip: It is obligatory NOT to stay on the inner shaft or on the L train side of the hotel. We Loved the 21...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Oak Creek, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

The hotel was fine could spend a little more attention\ to details. No ventilation in bathroom flaking paint and splitting caulk in different location throughout the bathroom. The mattress was a little soft for my liking

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Skaneateles, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed at the Palmer House while in Chicago for a wedding, and found it to be clean, classy and convenient, as well as pricey. The staff was super helpful and considerate. Our room was smallish, but beautifully appointed and clean. My only complaint was that I thought that WiFi should have been included, and not an extra fee.
The Palmer house is a great location with restaurants and shops close by. Glad we stayed there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Small room (not there to stay in room all day!)...but overall stay was exceptional! Beautiful hotel!! Great cusotmer service!! I had to check out eatly for a ball agme but they allowed me to leave my carry on luggage there at the hotel so I didnt have to drag it to the next hotel which was the opposite direction of where I had to go. Its the little things that matter! Very courteous staff! I want to go back soon & stay at the same place in a heart beat!

Room Tip: Hard to find the lobby so just go the second floor!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
HiltonPalmerHouse, Manager at The Palmer House Hilton, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share a review on the Palmer House. I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and we hope you will have the opportunity to visit once again.

Dardan Mehmeti
Naperville, Illinois, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Having stayed at Hilton properties around the country and globally, I expected better out of this location with its rich history. When we first walked in to the grand atrium (and we've been here before for drinks), we're awestruck. The height of the ceiling and elaborate mural works are simply beautiful. Check-in was a dud however. No enthusiasm from the check-in desk and all business about upgrades and readiness of rooms. My reservation was made 6 months ago and we arrived 30 minutes after the check-in time, so it wasn't like we were putting undue stress on the situation, I'd hope the staff weren't so flustered as to have to put on this show while checking a guest in. Shouldn't they know as they go through their line which rooms are available and on what floors?

Needless to say, we got our keys and went up find our room which was a battle unto itself. See my picture - it was confusing because what should have been a lit sign was dark. Not a big deal but flip a coin and 1/2 the time you'll choose the wrong hall and 1/2 time the correct hall. Of course after thinking maybe odd #'s on left and even on right we got it wrong and proceeded to try the other corridor and located our room. Note, when you do get to your corridor, the signs are affixed to the walls and legible (not lighted).

to our shoebox sized room where the bed (they did come through on my request for a King) took up most of the room such that the TV had to be placed on the side of the bed and not in front so there was access to the closet and bathroom. Bed was very clean and comfortable however and that's a blessing because in this case we had a busy weekend and didn't need a grand suite - but one always likes a bit more room. The in-closet safe was functional and served as a good place for my wife to stow her large purse in favor of an evening clutch. The bathroom, while clean could use some touch-ups where paint was peeling, door was warped and woodwork chipped and scuffed. However, good towels and decent shampoo and soaps.

Apparently this Hilton really wants every $0.01 they can get out of you, we had no coffee maker, tea which forced a trip down to the restaurant and if you needed a later checkout, they're happy to accommodate for a fee. As a hhonors guest (frequent traveler) I used to remember getting offered this service even if for an hour, but no longer apparently. This latter piece is an observation for this trip because they do have what I feel is a very reasonable checkout time of noon.

Our selection of this hotel was based on the close proximity access to Millennium Park which was very easy to get to as well as the Hilton brand, but there are other choices in hotels and I think in the future, I'll look around.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Grand Rapids,Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a night but will certainly return. It is a wonderful large hotel that is great "eye candy" for those who love history.Decor is so interesting, one will spent alot of time just looking at all the art. The staff was outstanding to say the least. We lost our camera and today they called and said they have found it. Because we are a Hilton Honors member ,they are sending it to us free of any postage. Hats off to a great hotel and a very caring staff.

Been to The Palmer House Hilton? Share your experiences!