“Excellent stay!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Palmer House Hilton

You added The Palmer House Hilton to your Saves list
The Palmer House Hilton
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17 East Monroe Street, Box 75845, Chicago, IL 60603 (Downtown / The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Last Call for Summer!
Ranked #90 of 178 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Brookfield, Canada
“Excellent stay!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel as part of our honeymoon. The woman at the front desk was extremely nice and very helpful. She actually upgraded our room to a King with a fireplace. A very nice gesture that she did not need to do!! Great overall experience at a terrific hotel!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

HiltonPalmerHouse, Manager at The Palmer House Hilton, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

I hope you had a lovely honeymoon, and that you enjoyed the upgraded room with the fireplace. We look forward to your next visit to the Palmer House.

Dardan Mehmeti

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,225)
  • Turkish first
Lima, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Did I mention the lobby?

A great location - better than staying north along the Miracle Mile - this place is close to the Art Institute, Macy's, and Millenium Park. We had a corner room - which I suggest - and loved the service and decor. And the lobby is the place to meet friends for a drink - wonderful !!

Get you photo taken at the famous peacock gates - a work of art in itself.

Reasonably priced, I will stay here whenever I'm in Chicago -

Room Tip: Corner room - higher up - I was on the 20th floor
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Royal Oak, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I stayed at the Palmer House as part of event my company was running. The hotel service was excellent. The staff was very friendly and willing to help out our group with all of our requests, even the last minute ones that may have seemed like a pain. This is the second time we have used this location for an event. I would continue to consider this hotel in future if the need is there.

The line for the front desk when checking in could be very slow moving at times, however they were also very helpful. My room was clean, a little small maybe, but seemed updated. My room was located more on the inside of the building and I had little to no cell service. For the rooms on the outer edge of the building I am sure this was not a problem. The concierges and the bellmen were outstanding! The lobby area is impressive and grand. The location was very convenient with many stores, restaurants, and sight seeing things within walking distance. There was also close and convenient access to the L.

Room Tip: Try to ask for a room on the outer edge of the building for better cell service.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Raleigh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I had to set up a business conference along with meeting rooms and hotel rooms for the attendees. Dalia, my meeting coordinator, was very helpful in this regard.

The hotel is gorgeous and smack dab in the middle of downtown, walking distance from all the main attractions. The "egg", Buckingham Fountain and a few shopping areas. However, note a lot of the shopping areas close earlier than I prefer so keep that in mind. There's also the metro, which was right outside my window, but it wasn't too noisy and an excellent way to get around if you didn't feel like walking.

My first night I had a tiny room, which I didn't really care about because the bed was comfy and the room was clean, but I was next to the elevator and it was noisy. I was able to switch rooms, which in turn ended up being larger and much more quieter. I also, had to call because my AC was "not" working. Ended up being that the vents were pointing towards the ceiling and engineering came and fixed that within 5 minutes.

The food and cocktails were great, too. I had to order room service the first night and it arrived relatively quickly and they even had the milk/cream in a tiny carafe in case I didn't want too much cream in the cocktail I ordered. The little things.

The main bar was always crowded, but there's another one towards the back that's a bit more intimate and quieter that was just as nice so don't forget to check that one out.

All in all, if we end up having another conference in Chicago, Palmer House would be a top contender. Didn't have many complaints from attendees that weren't fixed by the staff as soon as possible.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room on the "outside" perimeter for a better view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Winston-Salem, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I recently needed to book a business meeting in Chicago. The Palmer House provided a competitive bid and provided excellent service. Booking a meeting at a large hotel is not inexpensive, but the Palmer House really delivered.

But you may not be reading this to learn about their meeting services. I last stayed at the Palmer House about 12 years ago. It was a tired hotel then, and I avoided returning there when I was in Chicago. I decided to give it another try for this meeting and was pleasantly surprised.

I had a room on the Hilton Honors floor. It was comfortably large, the bed was comfortable, and the cleanliness was excellent. The lines at check-in could have moved a bit better if you couldn't use the HHonors line, but once I reached the counter the service was friendly and helpful.

Using the El and the subway, the hotel is convenient to just about anything you might want to do in Chicago. It was a simple ride in from the airport and a block or two walk to the hotel. The bits of historical information around the hotel are interesting and the Lobby bar had a decent selection to choose from.

The next time I'm in Chicago, I won't hesitate to consider staying at the Palmer House again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Oia, Greece
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed here as part of a business conference. The room rate was reduced but the room also was very small. We wanted to upgrade but they would not allow us to upgrade and pay the difference. Our room needed new carpet and was obviously well used. There was ample closet space, and a nice large dresser. The only window looked out into an alleyway that was constant hustle and bustle 24 hrs a day. It was loud even at night. The bed was average comfort but had very few pillows and they were quite flat! I had to buy a small one at a local discount store for the duration. Internet was only in the lobby unless one had a hotspot and even that did not work well in our room.
The hotel is situated near the Loop with multiple entrances for ease in locating your destination. It is within easy walking distance of attractions, State and Michigan Ave shopping districts, the Red Line and bus system. There are a wide variety of restaurants close by with excellent cuisine. The lobby is well-appointed with staff nearby. But breakfast meals in the hotel are very pricey and not particularly tasty. I found a wonderful coffee shop with awesome omelets that became my breakfast choice for the rest of the stay.
The overall impression is that while relatively clean and comfortable, it is a place past it's heydey everywhere except the lobby. Not shabby but not up to date at all. There was no microwave nor refrigerator in our room. The bathroom while clean lacked many of the amenities one has come to expect in a hotel of this price range.
I would not stay here again as there are other hotels in the same price range more well-appointed, cleaner, up to date. The last hotel I stayed previously would get my business as it was a suite for $50 less a night than the small room we had at the Palmer.
The one thing that was superb at the Palmer was the porters/lobby staff. They had all the answers of where everything you could possibly want to see in Chicago was located! And the most convenient, fastest way to get there. They stowed my luggage in the morning before a late afternoon flight, had my limo to the airport waiting at the time I needed it exactly! When it rained, they had umbrellas at the ready and warm hand towels for my hands when I returned from the outside cold at night! They are the best ever!
The staff were courteous, helpful and pleasant

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I stayed at the Palmer House Hilton for a work convention this summer and it was just ok. The location is pretty good- minutes away from Millennium Park, the red line stop, restaurants, a Target and about a ten minute walk to Michigan Ave shopping. The hotel is massive. While I was staying there there were four weddings and numerous conventions. The hotel was full, which made the service a bit slow, understandably. The rooms are updated, clean, but very small, as is the bathroom. The walls are very thin and it almost seems as if your neighbors are in the same room with you. If you're looking for a hotel that's in a good location and you won't be spending much time in the room, this is an option. If you have kids and will be hanging in the room for any period of time I would look elsewhere. Also the pool is very, very small.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Palmer House Hilton? Share your experiences!