The hotel is on a very busy street, the subway makes the street very noisy during the day. There's still construction going on, swimming pool and main entrance closed.
We parked at 55 State St. across from the hotel, for 35 USD/night, ouch! However we got a cheap price for the room, USD89/night, booked through hotwire.com.
Surprised to see in such expensive hotel that there is no shower cap in the bathroom and no coffee maker. Also the mattress was very soft, I would say very old, sagging.
With all the noise from the street(20th floor facing Wabash St, where the subway goes by on the elevated line) I was concerned it was going to be noisy, however the windows were double panels and did a good job insulating us from the noise below in the street (and I am a light sleeper).
The corner bakery (just in the corner of the building) is great for breakfast, very fast and good food, I definitely recommend it, good way to start the day.
All in all an average experience, the good part was the location and I guess the price, even after factoring in the car parking.
We used the free trolley system to save our feet after too much walking. The Greek town is just a handful of restaurants, nothing more, good food though.
We walked 4.5 blocks south to the Guys Blues place one evening, the place is alright but we weren't lucky with the band that night, avoid Texas Fire Band, never heard of blues in Elvis Presley rock and roll style.
- Also Known As:
- The Palmer House Hilton Hotel Chicago
- The Palmer House Hilton Hotel
- Hilton Hotel Chicago
- Hilton Hotel Palmer
- Palmer House Chicago
- Palmer House Hilton
- Chicago Palmer House Hilton
- Palmer House Hilton Chicago
- Palmer Hilton House
- Hilton Chicago
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- North America’s most established hotel, the Palmer House Hilton first opened its doors in 1871 and has remained the place to "see and be seen" in downtown Chicago. We continue evolving to serve you with the latest conveniences and comforts in meetings, accommodations and dining - a hip and historic blend of modern nuances and Chicago cultural significance. Whether you’re holding a gala in the famed Empire Room or an intimate gathering in one of our hospitality suites, your event is sure to be a success. Here, you’ll be the host in the Chicago hotel that’s been the venue of choice for celebrities, politicians, and royalty for more than a century.When you come to the Palmer House Hilton, you don’t just stay here. You live here—even if it’s only for a night. That’s why all of our guest rooms and suites have just the right touches to make you feel right at home. You’ll sleep well on our Hilton Serenity Dream bed featuring a plush top mattress and crisp linens, lathering up with Peter Thomas Roth bath products, perceptual service and a full host of amenities to keeping you connected – from flat screen HD televisions, wired and wireless high-speed internet to alarm clocks with auxiliary ports, you’ll find everything you need to rest easy. Lockwood Restaurant, your Farm to Fork, AAA 4 Diamond destination open for breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as afternoon tea. The Lobby Bar at Lockwood is a favorite for locals and travelers alike for craft beers and craft cocktails with Palmer House private reserves and labels. Potter’s is the hip spot to enjoy a retro mix of perfectly poured libations and delectable light fare while reminiscing about the hotel’s history. The hotel is walking distance to the Blue Line and the Orange Line “L” stations for quick transport to O’Hare International Airport and Midway Airport, respectively. The Palmer House Hilton is steps to all the action along State Street including Macy’s, Nordstrom Rack, American Apparel, H&M, Block 37 Mall and the Chicago Theatre. The hotel is also a short walk to The Art Institute, Joffrey Ballet, Cadillac Theatre, Jeweler’s Row, Millennium Park, John G. Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum and Adler Planetarium. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hilton Hotels, Tingo, Otel, Agoda, Amex, TripOnline SA, Priceline, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, Venere and Fareportal so you can book your The Palmer House Hilton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.