The Palmer House Hilton is absolutely stunning - pictures really cannot do the lobby justice. You simply have to see it. The rooms are beautifully decorated (marble tile in the bathroom, nice curtains, soft linens). All of the common areas are just as nice - pictures of classic acts line the walls in the hallways.
Aside from the decoration, other positives include the bed itself (very comfortable) and the location - perfect for shopping on State Street, a short walk from Millennium Park and the Art Institute, and a short bus ride to the Field Museum and the Science and Industry Museum. Magnificent Mile shopping is also a fairly short walk away (about 10 minutes).
Unfortunately, we also experienced a few negatives. The Palmer House does charge an early check-in fee, which is not advertised on the website ($25). There is also a late check-out fee ($50).The rooms are not sound-proofed - my in-laws were in the room next door when they called on the telephone, and we could have just listened to them through the walls. We could also hear everything going on in the hallway (a lot of folks with small children on our floor). Wireless is only free in the lobby or the business lounge - you must pay for it in the room. Toilets are low-flow and clog easily. The shower curtain was also short in our room (though it was not in my in-laws' room). Housekeeping comes around fairly early (around 8) and is fairly aggressive about getting in if you do not answer immediately.
Aside from the negatives, I would still recommend this hotel - with all of the history this hotel has seen, it's worth the stay. The location and beauty of the hotel trump a lot of the negatives.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- North America’s most established hotel, the Palmer House Hilton first opened its doors in 1871 and has remained the place to "see and be seen" in downtown Chicago. We continue evolving to serve you with the latest conveniences and comforts in meetings, accommodations and dining - a hip and historic blend of modern nuances and Chicago cultural significance. Whether you’re holding a gala in the famed Empire Room or an intimate gathering in one of our hospitality suites, your event is sure to be a success. Here, you’ll be the host in the Chicago hotel that’s been the venue of choice for celebrities, politicians, and royalty for more than a century.When you come to the Palmer House Hilton, you don’t just stay here. You live here—even if it’s only for a night. That’s why all of our guest rooms and suites have just the right touches to make you feel right at home. You’ll sleep well on our Hilton Serenity Dream bed featuring a plush top mattress and crisp linens, lathering up with Peter Thomas Roth bath products, perceptual service and a full host of amenities to keeping you connected – from flat screen HD televisions, wired and wireless high-speed internet to alarm clocks with auxiliary ports, you’ll find everything you need to rest easy. Lockwood Restaurant, your Farm to Fork, AAA 4 Diamond destination open for breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as afternoon tea. The Lobby Bar at Lockwood is a favorite for locals and travelers alike for craft beers and craft cocktails with Palmer House private reserves and labels. Potter’s is the hip spot to enjoy a retro mix of perfectly poured libations and delectable light fare while reminiscing about the hotel’s history. The hotel is walking distance to the Blue Line and the Orange Line “L” stations for quick transport to O’Hare International Airport and Midway Airport, respectively. The Palmer House Hilton is steps to all the action along State Street including Macy’s, Nordstrom Rack, American Apparel, H&M, Block 37 Mall and the Chicago Theatre. The hotel is also a short walk to The Art Institute, Joffrey Ballet, Cadillac Theatre, Jeweler’s Row, Millennium Park, John G. Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum and Adler Planetarium. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Hilton Hotels, HotelTravel.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, Priceline, BookIt.com, getaroom.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your The Palmer House Hilton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Palmer House Hilton Hotel Chicago
- Hilton Hotel Chicago
- Hilton Hotel Palmer
- Palmer House Chicago
- Chicago Palmer House Hilton
- Palmer House Hilton Chicago
- Palmer Hilton House
- Hilton Chicago
- Chicago Hilton