“A classic!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Palmer House Hilton

Save Saved
You added The Palmer House Hilton to your Saves list
The Palmer House Hilton
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17 East Monroe Street, Box 75845, Chicago, IL 60603 (The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Breakfast & WiFi Savings
Ranked #85 of 168 hotels in Chicago
Montreal
“A classic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Old style luxury and grandeur, similar to the Waldorf Astoria. The hotel is easy to access from the airport by train and is in the heart of the city. The entrance/ bar/ lobby area is fantastic, with plenty of space to wait for a friend or read the paper in tranquility. Service is impeccable. The Lockwood restaurant has a nice atmosphere and the food is good, but not great.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

4,458 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (910)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

The service was awful, waited over an hour to check in, the rooms are small, the tv has a strange menu that is not user friendly. The walls are paper thin you can hear everything going out in the surrounding rooms, and I was mistakenly charged for a late check out and it took an hour long phone call to get my money refunded. Overall my best experience at the Palmer House was leaving, I would not recommend it to anyone and I will never return

• Stayed February 2013
HiltonPalmerHouse, Manager at The Palmer House Hilton, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

My dearest apologies that nobody was able to accommodated you in your time of need. Your situation should been dealt with more care. Please feel free to contact me for any additional questions or concerns. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for taking the time to share your review—we take our guest feedback into great consideration. I truly look forward to hearing from you soon.

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Overall the stay was ok. I've wanted to stay at The Palmer House for years. My wife and I booked a room for a Saturday night so we could spend the night in the city. We arrived at 3 and got the room key after waiting in line for 50 minutes. Only 2 people checking in guests at prime time didn't make sense. The room was small but clean and had some features from the historic past. The lobby is beautiful but crowded. Reminded me of a bus station, people with clothes in plastic bags everywhere.

We got the room with parking for $160 including tax. Good value for the location.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I loved this place. I stayed here for two nights the first week of February with my teenage son who was auditioning for colleges at the Unified auditions that were held at the hotel. We felt it was the perfect hotel for experiencing life in the Loop in Chicago.

Let's go through the cons, most of which come up in other reviews, of this hotel. The bathroom is TINY. You can stand in the middle of it and easily touch two walls in any direction. It's too small for a towel rack. Even the oddly shaped, oblong Hilton waste baskets barely fit between the toilet and the wall. If a bathroom that can only fit one person at a time is a deal breaker for you in a hotel, then I would suggest you stay somewhere else.

You have no view. The hotel is configured in such a way that I don't believe many of the rooms have much of a view of Chicago or the skyline. If that's something you really want during your stay in Chicago, I would go elsewhere.

You can hear the "el"/subway from your room. Chicago is a big city and this hotel is right in the center of downtown, so it's not quiet. We could definitely hear the "el." But it never woke us up or bothered us. It was just a faint noise you would occasionally notice outside that may vary according to where you are in the hotel. It certainly doesn't vibrate the building or anything like that. If you need your room to be totally silent and isolated from the surrounding city, then I'd look elsewhere.

The rooms are small. You won't be able to jump rope or work out in your room. It's an older hotel built at a time when normal hotel rooms just weren't as big as today. If you've stayed at a hotel in New York, you'll know what to expect.

You will probably have to wait a few minutes for an elevator. The hotel is massive with different banks of elevators going to different floors. You may have to wait a few minutes before an elevator arrives. You'll live.

So I would say those are the main drawbacks of this hotel.

So how about the pros? Location, location, location. We took the train right from the airport, got off at the Monroe stop a block away and easily walked to the hotel. $5 and 45 minutes and you are O'Hare airport to hotel no matter the traffic or weather.

The hotel is right in the Loop and easy walking distance to numerous nearby restaurants and shops. We walked over to the Chicago Art Institute (don't miss if you have any interest in Art, particularly Impressionism) in five minutes. Numerous theaters (including the one playing "Book of Mormon") were a block or two in every direction. Millennium Park is just steps away. I would heartily recommend the deep dish pizza at Giordano's. We hoped the train 10 minutes north to Old Town and caught a show at Second City. The location is terrific.

The hotel itself is a 1920's era landmark that has been beautifully restored and maintained. Every time I entered the hotel and walked through the doors, I felt like I was going back in time to a more glamorous and relaxing era. The lobby is just spectacular. We didn't eat in the hotel, but they offer afternoon tea, which is a rarity in American hotels. The whole place just seemed so civilized. Loved the black and white pictures of performers lining the walls.

The rooms are small, but well appointed. The bed and bedding were comfortable and we slept well each night. It had a nice HD flat screen TV. Our room had a small refrigerator, which is actually a little unusual in a hotel like this.

Everyone we encountered in the hotel was courteous and seemed to enjoy having you as their guest. They knew this was a special hotel. We asked to extend our check-out one hour on our day of departure and we were immediately accommodated without a fuss.

Made our room reservation online and felt it was a great value (I'm assuming the Winter rates are considerably less than other times of year here).

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and I would love to come back and stay in the Palmer House once again. Pizza, music, theater, comedy, architecture, Art. Chicago is a great town.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Walled Lake, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I stayed at this hotel from a Saturday to Monday with a friend for a quiet girls weekend. The check-in was up a level from the ground floor so that was weird but it was so beautiful we didn't even care about all the walking to get to the registration desk. This historic Hotel is absolutely gorgeous and the staff was very friendly, with the exception of check-in. English was her second language and her attitude was snotty BUT everyone else was great!

Room was elegantly decorated and very clean. TV was large and HD. No room refrigerator. Bed was very comfy with two plugs for phone charges, etc by each side of the bed. along with lots of other plugs in the room. Large Closet for hanging, ironing, etc.

Walking distance to much of the city (downtown). My friend and I walked everywhere. We had no trouble walking to the Magnificent Mile. We even walked to Old Town! However, we did estimate walking over 20 miles over the course of the weekend.... The hotel has a lot of shopping right around it too. Being the winter we did not go to Navy Pier, etc so I'm not sure how long of a walk that is from hotel...

Room Tip: Room #15255 did not have a view.... You could also hear the L go by, but it only sounded like a lar...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I've stayed here on two separate occasions and they were both good. The lobby is really gorgeous. Beds are comfy too. The executive breakfast is adequate and very filling with varieties of pastries, fruit, juice and eggs. One minus is that the bathrooms don't have vent fans and they're so tiny! The room heats and steams up quickly. It definitely has character and style. Worth a visit at least once in your life.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
HiltonPalmerHouse, Manager at The Palmer House Hilton, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your review on the Palmer House. I’m delighted to hear you enjoyed breakfast on the executive level. I’m also gad you find the hotel’s lobby to be gorgeous—it truly is unique. Thank you for sharing your feedback. I hope you will have the opportunity to visit again.

Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Recently stayed overnight when in town to see a show. Lobby is stunning (and drinks at the bar good, too!). Rooms (especially the bathroom) are a bit small, but the old-school door handles and hardware were cool. Bathroom fixtures were interesting and furniture perfect to continue the art deco vibe. Hotel service was very attentive. Location was great, only a couple of blocks from the Bank of America Theatre. Will totally stay here again when in town for a show!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. I’m pleased to hear you were intrigued by the hotel’s deco vibe. I’m sure you enjoyed your stay, along with the show. We look forward to your next stay.

Dardan Mehmeti

Been to The Palmer House Hilton? Share your experiences!