“A lovely stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Palmer House Hilton

Save Saved
You added The Palmer House Hilton to your Saves list
The Palmer House Hilton
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17 East Monroe Street, Box 75845, Chicago, IL 60603 (The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
August Sale: $109 - $229
Ranked #84 of 169 hotels in Chicago
“A lovely stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

The location is unbeatable for a night at the Symphony. Check-in was a breeze, the staff was friendly and the room was lovely. The executive floor amenities worked perfectly for us and as vegetarians we found a few options with the morning and evening service. Did not experience any noise problems, as a few others have mentioned. We will stay again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

4,557 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (943)
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

The hotel is in a great location in downtown Chicago - very close to everything. My room was very comfortable and clean.

I'd agree with the other post that the walls can be thin - I listened to my neighbor's phone call though I really didn't want to. I could hear the L on the 13th floor, but that didn't bother me.

One thing that did bother me was that there's no free wi-fi in the rooms unless you're a silver/gold member of Hilton Honors. I've stayed at budget places that had free wi-fi so this seemed very stingy for a Hilton. There is free wi-fi in the lobby if you want to go down there.

The lobby has a beautiful ceiling and many people come in just to look at it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Austin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We just visited the Palmer House for a wedding, and it was beautiful! The hotel was amazing! We had the nicest room, with two bathrooms, and a great view. I could just on and on about the room, and food at the hotel. However I want to just say how wonderful the staff was. Every one we met seemed very committed to their job and took pride in making sure we had the best experience we could. There was a mix up with the reservation and the manager (James) came and helped us out in such a nice way. He was very understanding and made every thing right for us. I can't wait to visit again. This is my new favorite place to go. In fact I will make this hotel a destination. Thank you Palmer House for a wonderful time in Chicago.

Room Tip: Higher floor because of the train noise.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
HiltonPalmerHouse, Manager at The Palmer House Hilton, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing a review on the Palmer House. I’m delighted to hear you had a pleasant stay, and that the staff members were very helpful. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback, and we hope you will have an opportunity to visit again.

Happy Holidays,
Dardan Mehmeti
San Diego,Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed on the executive floors and our suite was impeccable. I was traveling with my two well behaved goldendoodles and my son over the Christmas holiday. The cocktail hour on the floor is very nice and allowed us to meet other guests in a more intimate environment. We stayed for a week and we knew many people by the time we left. Of course, our dogs help make us popular wherever we go. We were within walking distance to many shopping and holiday events. The staff is amazing and even walked our dogs for us when we weren't able to return to our room in a timely manner. We love this grand older place. It will make you fall in love with Chicago as a city. So nice to be able to stay in a historic building that maintains its grandeur. Oh, and the prices are very reasonable for such a grand hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
La Crosse, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Great stay in this beautiful Hilton property in downton Chicago. Executive floors are exemplar of the early 20th century service & hospitality. Built in 1871, rebuilt in1879 after the Chicago fire, $170,000 million renovation by Hilton in mid-1990s, the historic character and charm has been retained .The lobby ceiling painting completed by a famous French artist remains the most photographed hotel lobby in the world. I've visited here over the last 45 years, and the historic interior and excellent food & service maintains that of eloquent hotels of the early 1900 which has hosted several presidents and foreign dignitaries. A great traveling investment to stay here!

Room Tip: Upgrade to executive level for most charm
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonPalmerHouse, Manager at The Palmer House Hilton, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share a review on the Palmer House—we truly appreciate your feedback. We hope you will have the opportunity to visit again.

Dardan Mehmeti
Celebration, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I absolutely loved my stay during the festival of lights. The room was an interior king. Wallpapered and very neo classic. Quiet, I felt as though I was the only person on the 14th floor. The lobby was gorgeously decorated in gold and red for the holidays, and although it was packed, there were plenty of places to sit. There are also plugs/ outlets abound.
There was a large dining room and restaurants to eat at, it looked very nice. The bar in the lobby was also abuzz! On the street level there were places to grab a bite on the fly...
My only complaint would be the bellman. There were two of the lingering in the hall close to the bell stand and their language was terrible! To here a few "f" words as a tried to get past them... Ugh! I thought about saying something but really was in a rush.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Budapest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

This was my second stay at the Palmer House, I enjoyed spending a couple of days with my family in this wonderful town.
Rooms are a bit too small, beds very comfortable, definitely a great experience and a wish to come back soon.
The hotel didn't offer the services I am used to receiving, but I know my family enjoyed the stay and we all spent a wonderful time.
The only negative experience was the fact that I requested a bathrobe and they delivered to me a very cheap one instead of the standard Hilton robe.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Palmer House Hilton? Share your experiences!